U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 PM
 
5,807 posts, read 4,791,496 times
Reputation: 4303

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post

If you're not offended, that's nice.
Thanks. I think so, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2017, 08:16 PM
 
5,478 posts, read 2,310,817 times
Reputation: 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I HATE when random people call me "hon". Like a cashier, for example. I find it so demeaning. I understand that I'm in my late twenties and I probably look a couple years younger than that even, but being called "hon" makes me feel like I'm twelve.

Anybody with me?
Do you lie awake in bed thinking of things to resent? The person in question is just trying to be friendly and you're too petty to recognize it. God help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33556
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I HATE when random people call me "hon". Like a cashier, for example. I find it so demeaning. I understand that I'm in my late twenties and I probably look a couple years younger than that even, but being called "hon" makes me feel like I'm twelve.

Anybody with me?

oh, it's hon? I thought they were calling me hun, which usually resulted in a response from me of ****-you too you filthy Visigoth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,022 posts, read 518,086 times
Reputation: 2076
Ok, this is just too funny not to share

I don't believe in "God" or karma, but my housekeeper comes by today with a new guy helping him out cuz he's gonna have to take some time off. He introduces me to the young 20something guy. I'm in my 50's. 2 seconds after he introduces me, I ask the guy to move a bucket out of my way. He says "no problem hon". I couldn't believe my ears LOL.

Needless to say, he got an earful. We are working it out lol, but he told me it would probably be "hon" or "ma'am" cuz he's from the south AND was military & that he got slapped upside the head for 18 yrs of his life, if he didn't use one of those terms LMAO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM
 
5,478 posts, read 2,310,817 times
Reputation: 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Ok, this is just too funny not to share

I don't believe in "God" or karma, but my housekeeper comes by today with a new guy helping him out cuz he's gonna have to take some time off. He introduces me to the young 20something guy. I'm in my 50's. 2 seconds after he introduces me, I ask the guy to move a bucket out of my way. He says "no problem hon". I couldn't believe my ears LOL.

Needless to say, he got an earful. We are working it out lol, but he told me it would probably be "hon" or "ma'am" cuz he's from the south AND was military & that he got slapped upside the head for 18 yrs of his life, if he didn't use one of those terms LMAO.
Might be helpful to ascribe intent in those situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,022 posts, read 518,086 times
Reputation: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Might be helpful to ascribe intent in those situations.
As I said in every post on this matter, I know it's often not the intent to be disrespectful. That does not negate the fact that it is disrespectful to some & that it's not ok for him to call me that. Which his boss who was here, agreed with. Boss (32 yo male) said "ughhh, that's like when someone calls me sweetie, I hate it & I'm so sorry he called you that, I'll talk to him about it". Intent does not negate result.

Anyway, my post was meant to be funny, not re-dredge anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
 
3,531 posts, read 1,779,296 times
Reputation: 6233
My dad says to every cashier, waitress, etc "hello my darling sweetheart" or something like that. I tell him it's not ok and I've even made a few cashiers say that they don't like it but on he goes. He's not creepy and he's really high, positive energy but I hate that he does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 AM
 
Location: encino, CA
866 posts, read 419,141 times
Reputation: 1138
Talking self esteem and respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
I HATE when random people call me "hon". Like a cashier, for example. I find it so demeaning. I understand that I'm in my late twenties and I probably look a couple years younger than that even, but being called "hon" makes me feel like I'm twelve.

Anybody with me?
My healthy self esteem and self respect totally ignores it or, at may age, I might enjoy being called "hon" once in a while.
I'd google self esteem and go to work fixing yours, ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 AM
 
5,478 posts, read 2,310,817 times
Reputation: 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
As I said in every post on this matter, I know it's often not the intent to be disrespectful. That does not negate the fact that it is disrespectful to some & that it's not ok for him to call me that. Which his boss who was here, agreed with. Boss (32 yo male) said "ughhh, that's like when someone calls me sweetie, I hate it & I'm so sorry he called you that, I'll talk to him about it". Intent does not negate result.

Anyway, my post was meant to be funny, not re-dredge anything
Well, given that 'ma'am' or its equivalents in other languages are polite address pretty much most places in the world, I'm not sure why you are faulting him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado
1,022 posts, read 518,086 times
Reputation: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, given that 'ma'am' or its equivalents in other languages are polite address pretty much most places in the world, I'm not sure why you are faulting him.
B/C he called me "hon", not Ma'am. I already said in prior posts that Ma'am is intended to be respectful. I agree with you. My fault with him is for calling a complete stranger (who's also 30 yrs his senior) "hon". He said he would try to call me "Ma'am" in the future.

I would not fault someone for calling me Ma'am & I didn't. However, it is not what I prefer to be called & when I'm hiring you to work for me & you will be interacting with me, you call me what I wish to be called, which is my name. However, as I told him, I get that he's done it his whole life & it won't change overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top