Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

What is normal? I've seen so many variations of it that now I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Oh...wait....I didn't look close enough at who the OP is. I am sure this isn't actually an issue and the OP got bored again...and yeah....if they are anything like how they act online as they do in real life.....people already think they are bizarre.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:33 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
For years I lived inside of a shell of perfect wife behavior. I felt like some kind of robot and I knew there was a different person within me.

Once I left my ex husband, I could be the person I was meant to be. In all honesty, I like that person much better! No longer am I confined an unable to be goofy and weird, or however someone would explain me.

These days I am who I am and if you don't like it, you do not have to be around me. I will never again change the person I am.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
There's a fine line between being eccentric and just being rude.

As long as your "eccentricity" doesn't adversely affect or inconvenience other people, then have at it. But if being "eccentric" means that you have no filter on what comes out of your mouth and you don't care whose feelings you hurt as long as you get to say what YOU think -- well, yeah, I imagine people are going to have a problem with that. Plus, I think you need to consider - are you being "eccentric"? Or are you just finally learning some assertiveness? People experimenting with assertiveness for the first time in their lives often go overboard, infringing on other people's "eccentricities." Think about that.

Is it your place to "challenge" perfect strangers if their actions don't meet YOUR view of the world? Probably not, unless they are acting in a way that endangers life or property.

Generally, being kind and using manners takes a lot less effort than asserting your right to be an ass.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM

71 posts, read 78,961 times
Being comfortable in your own skin is the goal. Thinking you're eccentric is a bit like thinking you're hip, you're probably not. Do you comb your hair with your own urine? Do you write recipes for cakes in the margins of history books you check out from the library? Or, do you tend to drive barefoot regardless of the season? Generally those that are navigating life by watching butterflies and following contrails for their mysticism don't think they're odd at all.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
Not at all, in fact I have reached the point where I really lose respect for anyone so brainwashed by their culture/society that they sneer at anything different, that they pander to society's arbitrary norms and pointless rituals. I view them as faulty/defective/broken human beings now. They're exposing real insecurity when they do that, they are living their life absolutely crippled by what others think about them and they're reflecting that back towards the rest of the world. The sad thing is that this is really, really common, in fact this is the majority of people my age (26) and younger.

If you're doing something that doesn't hurt anyone then have at it, and if you'd sneer at someone for doing something unusual then you need to have a long, hard look at how you got that way.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.
I highly doubt that this is anything which suddenly escalated when you went into "semi retirement". Based on your prolific postings I see you as not "weird and eccentric" but simply (and sadly) devoid of human empathy.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Quote:
I like what you say. I am more eccentric with people who can not harm me socially or financially. (Like my fellow City Data Posters, who like to attack me!) I like to say interesting things to strangers just to see how they reply. But I can't be too odd around family or neighbors, students or coworkers because they could take it wrong and isolate me or make my life difficult. But now that I am semi retired less people can harm me than before so I can be eccentric more often and it makes me smile.
What you describe isn't eccentric, it's called pushing buttons just to get a rise out of people.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
What you describe isn't eccentric, it's called pushing buttons just to get a rise out of people.
No, outside of the City Data Board, I don't say things to get people angry or try to push anyone's buttons.

Regardless, it is hard to be an eccentric in our country which encourages conformity. People like to say they welcome diversity but in reality most people want you to act like them and be like them. It's easier to make friends and get people to like and respect you if you are boring and normal.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
Quote:
No, outside of the City Data Board, I don't say things to get people angry or try to push anyone's buttons.

Regardless, it is hard to be an eccentric in our country which encourages conformity. People like to say they welcome diversity but in reality most people want you to act like them and be like them. It's easier to make friends and get people to like and respect you if you are boring and normal.
I clearly understand that you do this on C-D....my point is that your behavior doesn't warranty the title eccentric. Troll might be more appropriate since you admit that you only do it online, hidden behind your computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships