Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM

6,426 posts, read 9,754,421 times

Advertisements

I dont think you are eccentric. I think you are just lonely and trying to come up with stories to push others buttons or to get rep points or whatever your agenda for the day is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,608,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?
Give us five examples of how you are eccentric, please.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:04 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,869,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I've been wondering about that too. The way I've always heard it is rich people are eccentric, poor people are just crazy. I don't think he's rich.....

Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,215,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I respectfully disagree. I am way more eccentric than I appear to anyone who doesn't know me really well. I just don't relay my every eccentric thought, habit, and action to everyone around me. I used to be more forthcoming, and being more honest about my eccentricities just brought me misunderstandings, condescension, and isolation.

It's not that I am not afraid of who I am, I just like to have some semblance of a normal social life and I don't want to be marginalized in my own community.
I do understand what you mean about being marginalized, but what you are describing sounds more like behavioral mental health issues (thoughts, responses, actions) than what typically is thought of as "eccentric" public behavior, i.e., way of dressing, choice of career, lifestyle ("cat lady") etc.

Also, some folks might consider such things as Pagan/Wiccan rituals, for example, as "eccentric" and they would hide those behaviors . . . but that is *not* eccentric behavior. It is a philosophy and lifestyle.

So perhaps "being eccentric" means different things to different folks.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,215,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Yes, do tell.

Things like refusing to speak to your brother-in-law don't count.

That is NOT what "eccentricity" means. Maybe we don't all have the same definition of "eccentric."

Last edited by brokensky; 07-30-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,061,266 times
Quote:
Recently since I have gone into semi retirement I have become more weird and eccentric.

You are on Parenting complaining about young people staring at their phones.

That's about as mainstream retired guy as it gets. Eccentric old guys are showing the kids how to make solar powered phones out of paper towel tubes, twist ties and parts from a Commodore 64. Not complaining about "these kids today!!!!"

Old 07-30-2014, 04:01 PM

542 posts, read 689,573 times
Quote:
There were lots of fellow eccentrics in my job hunting support group who faced long term unemployment. Because we were weird we had to be twice as good to move ahead in corporate America. We weren't and are still unemployed. People are afraid of eccentrics unless they are in the performing arts and whose talent makes up for their weirdness.
Can you give some examples of this "weirdness" or eccentricities? Like, do you wear mismatched socks and a fedora? Do you view hygiene as voluntary? Do you think all cats should be banned from the country and dogs should have a place at the presidential cabinet?

Personally, one of my resolutions this year was to try to be myself more and not give in to the sometimes silly norms of society, and also be more accepting of others.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I've gotten to the age where I don't give a rats behind what people think of me.
That is so funny hahaaaa, I found what you said very funny. I sort of want to be the same, but more reasonably not caring, sometimes I feel to do some crazy things

Old 08-22-2017, 08:12 PM

4,846 posts, read 3,619,748 times
Quote:

I just don't care to play by their rules anymore!

In the past I worked so hard to try to act mainstream and normal and be like most everyone else. I did not want to say the wrong thing and feared being outspoken or talkative thinking I would lose the respect of people by saying or doing something unusual.

Now I enjoy being kind of different and like to say things to people I meet that challenge them and see what they will say or do. A study in human nature. Not weird like mental case just a bit eccentric.

Would it bother you if people said you were weird or eccentric, or do you try hard to be normal?
I would consider it a grand compliment if I were called weird. Who wants to be like everyone else?

Old 09-24-2017, 12:34 AM

6,611 posts, read 4,836,339 times
He used to make threads not based on fake stories?

Anyway, yeah, actually I am, with regard to strangers and new acquaintances offline. "Weird" I presume to be an insult. I got too much teasing in childhood and general right-off-the-bat lousy treatment into early adulthood that I put a premium on seeming inoffensive and not outwardly strange. I think "eccentric" fits me, though I think "idiosyncratic" is more precise and I don't consider myself very imaginative the way eccentric-looking people seem to be. I like to look stylish, but until recently I couldn't make myself do anything well outside the norm, like modifying my own clothes by sewing on patches. Well, I haven't done that and don't sew But I did something and am getting used to it. I do want to be spotted by like-minded people, and it's possibly dishonest to go around looking quite normal when that's not required. Plus, I get bored with sameness and view my exterior and social demeanor as mediums to tinker with and dislike feeling left behind in normal-town as men's fashion becomes more creative (in sometimes jarring ways that I won't emulate).

I'm rarely inclined to talk much with new people, which means I seldom worry about verbally "outing" myself except as oddly quiet.

I hope that gradually someone who interacts with me realizes I'm "different," in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships