U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:59 AM

835 posts, read 853,370 times

Advertisements

I have 2 'Best Friends' and we met in 8th Grade when I was new to the area. Had just moved there with my family. The first day, me and one of the girls hit it off really well and sat together for lunch. That's when I met her friend who also ended up being my good friend.

This Friday I will be celebrating my 25th birthday and I'm so excited to be having dinner with my 2 girls! We have been through so much in 11+ years. I moved to NYC to build my Account mgmt. career, one of my best friends is in Law School in VA and the other just finished her pharmD in Erie, PA and now is a Pharmacist in VA. I plan to move back to VA next spring so we will all be reunited next year

Best friends like these can never be replaced. Is it weird that we still have sleepovers at our age?? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 AM

20,301 posts, read 16,471,247 times
I met my best friend in 7th grade, but we weren't friends then. In fact, her and this other girl who was her best friend at the time, didn't like me and were planning to beat me up on the last day of school! Then the other girl moved away, and we ended up alone at the same table in study hall one day...she challenged me to a game of Knuckles, during which she proceeded to get out all her frustrations apparently (my poor hands, lol) but for some reason, from that day forward we were inseparable.

Now 40 years later, she is still my bff. If I killed someone, not only would she be the only person not to judge me, she'd help me hide the body. She is the only person in the entire world who knows every secret I ever had, who knows every awful thing I ever did and has seen the best and worst of me, and loves me unconditionally anyway.

She lives in another state now, but comes up once a year for a week with her kids (they are still sleeping in the living room as I type) and I go there for a week in winter. Her daughter's middle name is my name.

It hasn't been easy through the years, we've had some knock down drag out fights over the decades, but we always have each others' backs in the end (like sisters).

Old 07-29-2014, 08:12 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,769,309 times
I have several people I consider best friends. One I met on the first day of first grade and most of the others my freshman and sophomore years of high school. Another was my randomly assigned roommate in the dorm our first year of college.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 AM

526 posts, read 738,307 times
6th grade (we r both 63 now) --- I'm not her "best friend" now, but she's still mine & that's OK

Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 AM

9,767 posts, read 14,896,650 times
I met my best friend over 60 years ago. It turned out that our future wives were college roommates. We still get together about twice a year. They will be up next week.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:56 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,489,213 times
First day of high school. They were already best friends from elementary school and had transferred to my high school together, and I met the first one in English class and the second one in gym class. It was totally weird how I gravitated to first one and then the other. I later tried to introduce them to each other at lunch. Go figure.

The three of us have been friends for 25 years.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:44 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,327,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
The other was a sorority sister in college, though we weren't particularly close in school (to be honest, I couldn't really stand her)
It's funny (and awesome) how that happens sometimes. A long time ago, a kid from a youth group I was in - who was, shall we say, "challenged" in social skills - tried way too hard to win my friendship at first. There was a lot of exaggerated laughter at every funny word I said, exclamations of wonder at anything intelligent out of my mouth...kinda creepy, to be honest. One time some of that clingy behavior started up on a night when there had been some rain and I had an umbrella with me. So I (don't try this at home) dealt him a few swift raps to the head with the umbrella handle. He ran off howling; the other kids laughed and agreed he'd had it coming.
Then a few weeks later this guy boarded a trolley I happened to be riding. Much excitement upon seeing me - while I muttered, "Oh, s--t" under my breath. It turned out he was heading for home from his summer job; I needed one and thanks to him soon did. "Would you really mind going for pizza? I know I've been obnoxious, but you don't need to worry about that now." (Thanks, umbrella!) The sketchy "hero worship" had, in fact, been overcompensation on the part of a bright and funny person who had few clues as to how to make acquaintances. For nearly a decade after that, much of it while living in different cities, we had a great friendship going. Eventually growing philosophical differences loosened the bond, and it broke when with nothing said to me he accepted a job offer out of state. A note dropped to the forwarding address I'd been given went unanswered, no real surprise, so that was that.
Too bad this thread wasn't so general, and instead was strictly about "unlikely friends," but no sweat.

Other "besties" were met in elementary and high school, college, and in workplaces - the usual settings. Interestingly enough, one of these "best" friends from college days is still in regular contact while others (not all) from that time and afterwards have faded away.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM

792 posts, read 503,859 times
Playing hockey. We were linemates all through high school, we had real chemistry on the ice.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,860,746 times
One of my oldest friends is from childhood and we were about ten when we met. We lost touch for over 20 years but found each other again. Another one was our realtor when we bought our house. We traveled a lot together with our husbands. She disappeared into a bottle and passed early from esophageal cancer. Four I met at work and it's been on going for 20 years + now. Another I met at work but she's just too crazy to deal with so I walked away from that one. One of the 20 year + friendships shared her oldest friend with me and now I see her more then I see my other friend. I'd say that's a relatively new friendship at ten years old. Our neighbors are like family now and we do fun stuff together all the time. I can't label any one of them as a best friend. They're all special to me in different ways.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM

3,235 posts, read 5,253,953 times
Allegedly I met my best friend in front of my house while strapped into a stroller; I don't really recall the moment. We were friends since I can remember having one and have remained as such for nearly five decades.

I've developed several other friendships over the years which would otherwise qualify as "best" status had the position been available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or