Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many real life friends do you have?
None 20 17.39%
1 9 7.83%
2 13 11.30%
3 13 11.30%
4 13 11.30%
5-9 24 20.87%
10-20 6 5.22%
20+ 17 14.78%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Yep, I consider most of my work team to be friends. I know most people would balk at the idea of having any sort of friendly relationship with coworkers, but I spend a large portion of my waking hours with these people and have worked with them for 8 years. My supervisor is a very good friend ... I've house/pet sat for her and hosted a baby shower for her daughter; she's helped me with DIY projects at my house, and was recently the person I called when I had to go the ER. One coworker often goes shopping or out to the movies with me, another coworker has me on record with her kids' daycare as someone who can pick up her kids in case of an emergency.

I can't imagine not being friends with these people just because we work together. We really are like a family.
I hold that you can't truly be friends with someone who has sway over your income and promotions. I think the corporate line about being a family is just that, a corporate line. They pay you to be there. That's not a family.

How Many of You Have Become Good Friends w/ Someone Who Was Somewhat Your Superior (at work, school, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I hold that you can't truly be friends with someone who has sway over your income and promotions. I think the corporate line about being a family is just that, a corporate line. They pay you to be there. That's not a family.

How Many of You Have Become Good Friends w/ Someone Who Was Somewhat Your Superior (at work, school, etc.)?
Well it's worked for us for 8 years. And technically, she's not paying me, and doesn't have final say over my income and promotions. She can recommend me for these, but she is just my supervisor and doesn't have the authority to make those decisions.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,236 times
I have one close friend that I see several times a week. I have another that I talk to on the phone daily. I have what I call "friends in progress" at church, sometimes it feels like pulling teeth trying to get into the cliques. The rest are just really acquaintances since I don't talk to them regularly or go out with them much.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Disagree, very strongly in fact.

Why you left out shyness is only something you can answer.

I made the effort and I am a very good friend. Some like myself gave up due to multiple rejections.
I'm not aggressive and back off very easily.
I know several shy people (used to be one myself), and they have many friends.
Shyness CAN be overcome. I did not mention it, as it does not deserve mention.

Not everyone you meet will be your friend. It seems you think that, with your multiple rejection comment.
Friendship is not aggressive... it starts naturally and grows as it is nurtured..

Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know several shy people (used to be one myself), and they have many friends.
Shyness CAN be overcome. I did not mention it, as it does not deserve mention.

Not everyone you meet will be your friend. It seems you think that, with your multiple rejection comment.
Friendship is not aggressive... it starts naturally and grows as it is nurtured..
Beyond silly and quite insulting to my intelligence.

Who in their right mind would want to be friends with everyone they meet.

Multiple means more than one.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/multiple

In my case it was around 5. Only talking about efforts I made in the last 1.5 - 2 years.

Shyness does deserve to be mentioned and I'm glad others brought it up.

Last edited by John13; 07-30-2014 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: efforts part for clarification.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I have always been socially awkward so forming relationships with others has always been difficult to impossible. I can't say I have ever "hung out" with anyone even when I was younger. I suppose I prefer to conduct my life on my own terms in environments where I feel comfortable and have control over.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
You need to clearly define friends.

My definition of a friend is that they will help you move.

My definition of a GOOD friend is someone who will help you move a body.

I have about 5 friends and one GOOD friend. My good friend has helped me move several bodies and it's good to keep that circle small, as I only have to dispose of one other person who knows where they're buried!

Old 07-30-2014, 12:32 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
You need to clearly define friends.

My definition of a friend is that they will help you move.

My definition of a GOOD friend is someone who will help you move a body.
HA! That's pretty good!

Not a practical definition for me though. At my age, there aren't many of us who CAN help anyone move anything

Old 07-30-2014, 01:14 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post

Not a practical definition for me though. At my age, there aren't many of us who CAN help anyone move anything
Ain't THAT the truth!

Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Does my dog count?
Yes, your dog counts. Dogs are better people than most humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships