Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:09 AM
SF

286 posts, read 324,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcess View Post
I'm 17 and I never got along with my mom. When I was 4 my parents got divorced and I had to live with my mom while my dad moved to another country for work. I love my dad because he's always calm and helps people and is a true leader. My mom, on the other hand, is a possesive person, who wants to control me and everyone around her, she even threatened me to kick me out of the house if I don't succeed at school. I just hate her, but I have to live with her. I wanna know though, if this is going to be a problem with girls, as girls with "daddy issues" have their problems with guys, do boys with "mommy issues" have some trouble in relationships ? Any advice ? Thanks.

You are 17! right? You are going to be an adult soon 18 may be this year or the next. It's sad to know that you had to go through all that at the age of 4.

I want to one question though, has you mom always been like this? or has she changed off late and in the recent years as you grew up?

I don't know what it is exactle

However the way your mom is treating you is not right at all, at the moment what you can do is assert yourself of the rights that you have. You need to tell her you deserve to be treated the right way and even if you have made some mistakes. I can understand one of the reasons for her behaviour could be may be she doesn't want you do wrong things, may be she still feels she has to teach you certain things in life. However her controlling and possessive behaviour is not the right way to about her and you have already started to hate her. What she doesn't realize instead of making you love her and come closer to her she is pushing you further away.

Such a behaviour should not be tolerated, threatening you? that is unacceptable, I know I understand you can't do much now but you are not wrong to hate her at all. Be yourself and stand up to her and tell her that I have my life to live, if you can. Be a little patient though as you are still 17 but do assert yourself.

Your dad however seems to be a good person, the way you have put it. Do you have a good relationship with your dad?

It seems you do love him a lot, than in that case the best suggestion that I can give would be to wait till 18 , then you will be an adult and then you mom can't control you anymore, don't let her do that. You can then move in with your dad if he is okay with it.

Become independent and your mom won't be able to control you anymore and then move in and live with your dad if both of you are fine with it. Of course if you want to do that and if you can.

I am not sure if this was a good suggestion but that's all from me.

Hope this helps

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcess View Post
My mom, on the other hand, is a possesive person, who wants to control me and everyone around her
Translation: I have to follow the rules of the house.

Quote:
she even threatened me to kick me out of the house if I don't succeed at school.
Translation: Mom said if I can't get into/don't go to college I have to move out at 18 and get a job.

Am I close?

Sorry, you are not tragic and special. You are spoiled and entitled.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I don't get along with my mother either. Thankfully I don't live with her. You won't have to eventually either.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:56 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post
You are 17! right? You are going to be an adult soon 18 may be this year or the next. It's sad to know that you had to go through all that at the age of 4.

I want to one question though, has you mom always been like this? or has she changed off late and in the recent years as you grew up?

I don't know what it is exactle

However the way your mom is treating you is not right at all, at the moment what you can do is assert yourself of the rights that you have. You need to tell her you deserve to be treated the right way and even if you have made some mistakes. I can understand one of the reasons for her behaviour could be may be she doesn't want you do wrong things, may be she still feels she has to teach you certain things in life. However her controlling and possessive behaviour is not the right way to about her and you have already started to hate her. What she doesn't realize instead of making you love her and come closer to her she is pushing you further away.

Such a behaviour should not be tolerated, threatening you? that is unacceptable, I know I understand you can't do much now but you are not wrong to hate her at all. Be yourself and stand up to her and tell her that I have my life to live, if you can. Be a little patient though as you are still 17 but do assert yourself.

Your dad however seems to be a good person, the way you have put it. Do you have a good relationship with your dad?

It seems you do love him a lot, than in that case the best suggestion that I can give would be to wait till 18 , then you will be an adult and then you mom can't control you anymore, don't let her do that. You can then move in with your dad if he is okay with it.

Become independent and your mom won't be able to control you anymore and then move in and live with your dad if both of you are fine with it. Of course if you want to do that and if you can.

I am not sure if this was a good suggestion but that's all from me.

Hope this helps

Good luck
Most informative post; you win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships