Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine wants to be more than friends.But after seeing how he is after drinking, that will never happen. I've never seen him drunk. He lives in my nabe. We recently went out to a festival. When it was over we went out to a cafe. He was nice and normal until he started drinking. He said a lot of things to me that were none of his business and he sounded very bitter and insecure. He said I should "stick to people in my own (social) class." He's blue collar and I'm white collar. I've recently sold property that belonged to mr and sort of had a nice windfall. He knows about this. That has never been an issue in our friendship until now. He threw in Donald Trump in the discussion, telling me that "my chances of landing someone in the upper classes are very slim". I told him I'm not looking for billionaires who chase 20 yr old girls. We were sitting in this cafe and he was really trying hard to incite an argument as he knows I'm a bit hot tempered sometimes. I refused to get drawn into the fight. I kept icy cool. He's not my father or brother so he's got no business telling me what I can't do. Whatever chance he had of being more than friends is now gone. He put his foot in his mouth when he got drunk and criticized me for wanting to move up in the world. Why does it bother him so? Why couldn't he just mind his business and be supportive of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Why does it bother him so? Why couldn't he just mind his business and be supportive of me?

Because he's an insecure douchebag.

Next thread, please?

Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Why do you care- he's a jerk- you know he's a jerk. Put him in the past, get him out of your head and move on.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Something similar happened to me recently.

My takeaway was...he was drunk, and the ugly came out.

For whatever reasons I'm still often naive around drunks, expecting them to still maintain decorum and rationality and just be verbose and silly.

It rarely happens. The ugly comes out. Consider it a big bullet dodged. Sorry it happened.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 PM

My friend came off as very judgmental and negative. Now I don't even want to hang out as friends! He really turned me off.

Besides, if I WAS looking to get involved with Type A "successful" 6 figure or over guys, it's none of his business - and he would NEVER know about it. I never said I wasn't. It's just not a topic of discussion I would ever have with this "friend". It serves no purpose.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Something similar happened to me recently.

My takeaway was...he was drunk, and the ugly came out.

For whatever reasons I'm still often naive around drunks, expecting them to still maintain decorum and rationality and just be verbose and silly.

It rarely happens. The ugly comes out. Consider it a big bullet dodged. Sorry it happened.
Yep. In vino veritas. (Latin; in wine you find truth). Want to find out what someone really thinks, go out drinking. They will spill the beans, baby....

You know what? I had 3 straight cognacs with coffee on the side. I also ate before. I was sober as a nun. He had 2 Long Island Ice teas and man.....he was trashed. He turned into someone else. He just can't drink. lol

Old 08-03-2014, 01:52 PM

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Better to find out now before the friendship gets established.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Better to find out now before the friendship gets established.
Yeah... true. I don't like being berated by someone who can't handle his liquor. And in a public place. I never get upset in public and make a scene. I WAIT TILL WE OUT OF THE PUBLIC EYE. Then I say whatever needs to be said. I don't like people who make scenes in public. Lacks class.

He seemed disappointed that he couldn't get me to lose it in the restaurant.LOL. I'm slightly hot tempered but I know when to put a lid on it and keep cool. This was one of those times.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Cut him some slack. You decided to tell him about your financial business, then get upset when he breaks some imaginary boundaries. He's your neighbor and friend, so keep the peace and don't tell him anything you don't want to discuss.

I really think his motivation was based on envy and insecurity....the liquor just brought it to the surface.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:20 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Sometimes people will get you upset and you ask yourself "Why did I let myself get upset by something that someone who is so insignificant said?"

The best thing to do is distant yourself from him. If he asks you why-tell him. And yeah, it is obvious that he is very insecure and can't hold his liquor-two VERY negative attributes.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships