U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 02:20 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,789,583 times

Advertisements

Adi, forgive me if some of my post does not apply to your situation. I'm afraid I just read your original post then posted my reply without reading further. My apologies. Nevertheless, notwithstanding your financial obligations, this man has no right to hinder you living and discovering your life for yourself. I'm sorry for all you are going through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As long as he supports you in any way, you will not be a man in his eyes. It is unreasonable for you to demand respect when you haven't earned it.
It takes time to earn respect, and I am trying my level best to get there. It's not like I am Just sitting still waiting for opportunity to come. I did well as an undergraduate student and am breaking out of my comfort zone for the sake of a prosperous future by attending grad school 1000 miles away. According to what you say, If all goes well, then in 3 years he will look up to me like a man. Will it happen though, that's my question. I will be SO RELIEVED if it does .

Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,317,742 times
Just watch, Adi, when you go off to school he will miss you terribly. He probably won't show it, and most likely he will make your mother more miserable.

Are you the youngest??

Old 08-07-2014, 04:44 PM

11,173 posts, read 20,521,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Then I will manage with what remains. My mom's job gives generous health benefits for family, so health insurance isn't a problem for us at all.

You can only stay on your parents' insurance until you're 26. So it will become an issue, about the same time you start having to pay them back.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 5,315,831 times
Quote:
According to what you say, If all goes well, then in 3 years he will look up to me like a man. Will it happen though, that's my question. I will be SO RELIEVED if it does .
You're thinking is off. Do the things you do for you, not to earn the respect of others. Live your life for you.

Man, your culture really does a number on people.

Be appreciative and gracious to your parents, and then be your own man. That will earn respect.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:42 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,187,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Just watch, Adi, when you go off to school he will miss you terribly. He probably won't show it, and most likely he will make your mother more miserable.

Are you the youngest??
No, I am the oldest (or older of the two).

My younger brother left home at the age of 17 to start college @ CMU in Pittsburgh and visits every couple months. He is your typical rebel teenager, just a whole lot nerdier. In fact, he is driving home right now . He had the smart's so my parents let him go and trusted him to live alone. Not the same in my case LOL .

Old 08-07-2014, 06:57 PM

1,175 posts, read 428,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Get him super drunk, have him give you all his financial information, use it to get the $, go live the high life.

Oh, and while he's drunk, get him to do something completely embarrasing and shameful (something that can get him fired) and take somepictures of it to use as blackmail - have him send you $ every month or threaten exposure.

You're welcome.

Love it!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,631,292 times
Quote:

My younger brother left home at the age of 17 to start college @ CMU in Pittsburgh and visits every couple months. He is your typical rebel teenager, just a whole lot nerdier. In fact, he is driving home right now . He had the smart's so my parents let him go and trusted him to live alone. Not the same in my case LOL .
Does he have to pay your dad back too?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 PM

405 posts, read 421,229 times
Quote:

See, I don't agree with this at all. This, to me, is the same as declaring one child a favorite and that just shouldn't happen. Most parents have a favorite, but most parents don't charge one child $202k and let the other one go for free.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 AM

5,341 posts, read 5,315,831 times
Being stupid in the Adi family gets really expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or