Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:18 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
I agree.
Same in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post
Its not creepy as someone suggested.

She's a nice woman who is trying to be a friend and great neighbor. I suspect this type of behavior was common in her household when she was young but do not know it for a fact. Just a guess.

You've a very nice woman living next door and until she proves otherwise enjoy her company and generosity.
exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
This is pretty common in TN if someone moves into a tight-knit neighborhood and more of a custom among older people. My grandparents were born in the 1930s, and they and their older neighbors (a lot of 1910s-1920s people when I was growing up) used to this often or when someone died. If you don't want the stuff, just politely decline.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
send her an email.

maybe your color/font/whatever changes will scare her.

I'm an old(er) woman and I find it disturbing.

Its like getting a letter made from words cut out of a magazine.

my apologies if you are having trouble with your machine.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
If you don't want her I'll take her. We have a nice neighborhood here except for one. I'll give you my icky neighbors across the street for yours any day.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:36 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
We're that way. If I have something I'm not using and the neighbor looks like they can use it, I give it to them. Recently I saw the neighbor out weedeating his yard and noticed he had to sweep the driveway with a broom. I happened to have the blower attachment that fit his weedeater perfectly so I gave it to him.

When they go out of town we feed/water his dog and vice versa. When I blew my knee out and was confined to a couch for a few months he came over once per week and mowed my lawn so that my wife didn't have to try and do it.

Most of our neighbors are like this. It's not uncommon. I like to barbecue and usually have my smoker running so if we catch something on sale I'll grab an extra and take it by when I'm done cooking. They also give us all of their older son's clothes for our two boys as he outgrows them instead of donating them.

We never hang out together, but we just do this to be neighborly. If we ever need something we know any of the neighbors would pitch in without question.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM

7 posts, read 4,797 times
She sounds like a great neighbor. Unless you feel uncomfortable or things get weird I would just enjoy it. Like another person said, she could even watch the house for you when you're gone. Unless she starts asking for things you don't want to give or crossing any other boundaries it sounds like a pretty sweet situation you're in.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

185 posts, read 461,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
send her an email.

maybe your color/font/whatever changes will scare her.

I'm an old(er) woman and I find it disturbing.

Its like getting a letter made from words cut out of a magazine.

my apologies if you are having trouble with your machine.
XD ahh you're hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
If you don't want her I'll take her. We have a nice neighborhood here except for one. I'll give you my icky neighbors across the street for yours any day.
Yikes! Had my fair share of bad neighbors, I'll take my good one and hold on while I still have her!

Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
XD ahh you're hilarious.

you are a good sport.

I can understand your neighbor being fond of you.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
You are free not to accept any gifts that you do not wish to receive

Old 08-06-2014, 05:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
You are free to not accept any gifts that you do not wish to receive,,,

and for any reason, with no explanation, and with no strings attached… and to be able to decline, and you may or may never know her reasons.

but it would be interesting to have a friendly chat with your neighbor to see why she is so generous or otherwise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships