Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times

Advertisements

I have a facebook account an go on like once or twice a week for a few minutes. Every time I go on it's the same crap. People posting "memes" or pictures with quotes etc.. nothing but pure bs. I read the electricity bill for Facebook servers every month is in the MILLIONs. All that wasted electricity for garbage like that.

People who have lives don't use facebook or barely use it. There have been many times where I don't go on for many months and haven't missed a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I have a facebook account an go on like once or twice a week for a few minutes. Every time I go on it's the same crap. People posting "memes" or pictures with quotes etc.. nothing but pure bs. I read the electricity bill for Facebook servers every month is in the MILLIONs. All that wasted electricity for garbage like that.

People who have lives don't use facebook or barely use it. There have been many times where I don't go on for many months and haven't missed a thing.
Dude, your friends sound boring.

My friends use it like their own personal city-data, asking for advice on travel, childrearing, dog training, restaurants, books, music - whatever. When they visit a particular city, they post it up and frequently meet up with whoever on their friend list lives there or is visiting there the same time. They post pictures of their children and their vacations, and I love the vacation pics because they help me decide where I want to travel. They post links to articles they know their friends would want to read - I do this a lot myself, and it's spawned some interesting discussions.

And then we just post up whatever funny may have happened in their day, and that always spawns long threads and discussions.

When my friend's father died, she used FB as the most effective way to disseminate information about the arrangements for out-of-town folks (and because it wasn't an email list, she could lower the privacy settings to let non-friends see the information whom she may not have thought to include) and to coordinate with them regarding travel details and who was picking up who at the airport or sharing a rental car or whatever.

It's also great for finding out information about my favorite bands and stories from my favorite news sources, not to mention local events and festivals.

Yeah, for some reason the religious people on my friends list are always posting that "Every like is a prayer for this [veteran, terminally ill baby, stray dog, whatever]," but i just skim right over those.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Says the guy with 3 posts a day on C-D.

I'm a retiree and spend more time traveling that I do at home. FB might not serve your purposes but it does mine in that it allows me to stay in close touch with friends (many of whom also travel) and my large extended family. Love it.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:

Oh please...
Sounds like you and your friends are oh-so-boring!

I DO have a life, and I DO use Facebook. And my experience is totally NOT how you describe yours.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
One can join Facebook any time if one so desires and now is as good a time as any other time!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why would I want to be social with people I don't already know?
That's a question to ask of people on FB who have 300 friends.

You know the kind, like the family who told their FB "friends" they were going to Las Vegas for a vacation, and their house got robbed.(this seems to happen often).

Didn't bother to tell any of the neighbors they were going out of town so they could keep an eye on the house, but told strangers(friends) on FB.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:35 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I always get a "long pause" from people when I tell them that I don't use Facebook. It's funny that about 6 years ago, that reaction didn't exist.

From the perspective of somebody who wants to quit living in survival mode and meet new people, should I start building my Facebook account, or should I abandon it? Like I said, I recently moved, and there are classified sales groups on Facebook, for used furniture and other things I could use for my apartment . If I inquire about an item on a virtual yard sale, would a seller think that I'm suspicious if my account is empty?
Is OP serious? Seriously? (as the kids today say).

No, but it's never too late to never use the god-forsaken thing.

Read my blog entry on "social media" for a detailed couple pages on why it's poisonous to (your, my, everyone's) life.

Who the hell cares what anyone thinks? I was on it for more than three years and discovered it only served one purpose: self-incrimination. Suddenly I was responsible for the feelings of 150 other "friends" in addition to real people close-by. I dumped all of it two years and one month ago, and haven't heard since from almost all those people. Who, turns out, I didn't care about a whit to begin with. I'm sure the feeling was(n't) mutual.

And the self-incrimination is concluded. Pass.

You haven't missed anything in terms of the world, news, politics, etc. since 2008. As an experiment, I stopped reading news for a month in 2009 and realized when I came back, nothing interesting had happened. Once I'm retired I'm turning all that off. Permanently. Other than the financial pages, to manage the portfolio. We'll see if I can make it the next 13 years before early retirement. The economy probably won't cooperate, but there's always a chance.

I hope you're not serious about "friend count" and other gibberish. Where is the post about "I do not accept the care and feeding of your monkey." Read the tread, it's a good one. Do not take ownership of any BS on Facebook.

Walk...away...from...it. Read a book, manage your portfolio, get some exercise, join Meetup, take up a hobby instead!

Great quote from "the Prestige" (2006):

"...I add only one suggestion on using the machine: destroy it. Drop it to the bottom of the deepest ocean. Such a thing will bring you only misery."

Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Dude, your friends sound boring.

My friends use it like their own personal city-data, asking for advice on travel, childrearing, dog training, restaurants, books, music - whatever. When they visit a particular city, they post it up and frequently meet up with whoever on their friend list lives there or is visiting there the same time. They post pictures of their children and their vacations, and I love the vacation pics because they help me decide where I want to travel. They post links to articles they know their friends would want to read - I do this a lot myself, and it's spawned some interesting discussions.

And then we just post up whatever funny may have happened in their day, and that always spawns long threads and discussions.

When my friend's father died, she used FB as the most effective way to disseminate information about the arrangements for out-of-town folks (and because it wasn't an email list, she could lower the privacy settings to let non-friends see the information whom she may not have thought to include) and to coordinate with them regarding travel details and who was picking up who at the airport or sharing a rental car or whatever.

It's also great for finding out information about my favorite bands and stories from my favorite news sources, not to mention local events and festivals.

Yeah, for some reason the religious people on my friends list are always posting that "Every like is a prayer for this [veteran, terminally ill baby, stray dog, whatever]," but i just skim right over those.
I don't have my friends on facebook we actually hang out no need for facebook. If my friends need to tell me something they call me. My old classmates and acquaintances from where I used to live are on my "friends" list. Just like tomorrow night we are having a bon fire and not one of us will be on facebook. Certain people justify facebook as something useful that's fine if you think it's worth your time, for me it's not.

The young generation needs facebook to "live" I don't and I'm only 36.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Oh please...
Sounds like you and your friends are oh-so-boring!

I DO have a life, and I DO use Facebook. And my experience is totally NOT how you describe yours.
Yep I will tell my friends that at the bonfire tomorrow while you are sitting at home on facebook with your "friends"

Old 08-09-2014, 04:45 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Is OP serious? Seriously? (as the kids today say).

No, but it's never too late to never use the god-forsaken thing.

Read my blog entry on "social media" for a detailed couple pages on why it's poisonous to (your, my, everyone's) life.

Who the hell cares what anyone thinks? I was on it for more than three years and discovered it only served one purpose: self-incrimination. Suddenly I was responsible for the feelings of 150 other "friends" in addition to real people close-by. I dumped all of it two years and one month ago, and haven't heard since from almost all those people. Who, turns out, I didn't care about a whit to begin with. I'm sure the feeling was(n't) mutual.

And the self-incrimination is concluded. Pass.

You haven't missed anything in terms of the world, news, politics, etc. since 2008. As an experiment, I stopped reading news for a month in 2009 and realized when I came back, nothing interesting had happened. Once I'm retired I'm turning all that off. Permanently. Other than the financial pages, to manage the portfolio. We'll see if I can make it the next 13 years before early retirement. The economy probably won't cooperate, but there's always a chance.

I hope you're not serious about "friend count" and other gibberish. Where is the post about "I do not accept the care and feeding of your monkey." Read the tread, it's a good one. Do not take ownership of any BS on Facebook.

Walk...away...from...it. Read a book, manage your portfolio, get some exercise, join Meetup, take up a hobby instead!

Great quote from "the Prestige" (2006):

"...I add only one suggestion on using the machine: destroy it. Drop it to the bottom of the deepest ocean. Such a thing will bring you only misery."
Even though I want to agree with you, what you're saying doesn't really match with what I've experienced. Unless I've become terrible at reading body language or indirect comments.

Also, remember that I barely use Facebook. Honestly, this post just reads like a general rant, instead of an actual reply to me, hah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships