Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:58 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times

Advertisements

I always get a "long pause" from people when I tell them that I don't use Facebook. It's funny that about 6 years ago, that reaction didn't exist.

When did Facebook explode in popularity? 2008? Jobs also became scarce in 2008. Between 08 and 14, I've been struggling to find work, struggling to keep a girlfriend who I hoped to marry, then worked a job in a building with elderly, grumpy, people. It's been an unpleasant few years.

I've been so focused on work, and a home, and everything else, I haven't paid attention to news, music, politics, social trends. Including Facebook, and why I would need it. But I'm in a new environment, that's a better fit for singles and for my stage in life.

Is it "bad" or "a bad sign" if my friend count is low? Is it better to have an account with little activity than it is to not have one? Is it acceptable to not think of Facebook as the popularity contest that I think it is?

I don't care what people think of me, but if I 100% didn't care, I wouldn't consider creating an account, and I'd continue observing "that" nonverbal reaction from people.

From the perspective of somebody who wants to quit living in survival mode and meet new people, should I start building my Facebook account, or should I abandon it? Like I said, I recently moved, and there are classified sales groups on Facebook, for used furniture and other things I could use for my apartment . If I inquire about an item on a virtual yard sale, would a seller think that I'm suspicious if my account is empty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Between 08 and 14, I've been struggling to find work, struggling to keep a girlfriend who I hoped to marry, then worked a job in a building with elderly, grumpy, people. It's been an unpleasant few years.
Joining Facebook won't change that...

Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 AM

Like I said, I moved to a different area. I think those unpleasant years are finally behind me .

Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Social media has exploded in only a few short years. People use FB for many different reasons. You are going to have a very different "style" of use with FB if you are 13 than if you are over 50 (like me).

There is nothing wrong with setting up an account and putting very strict privacy controls on it. Just tell folks you do have a FB page but have the privacy settings high.

Start posting things like nature photos, articles you find interesting, etc. If you meet someone (or know someone) who is on FB -- maybe has mentioned it in the past -- you can always send them an invite from your page.

Do not look at it like a "popularity contest." It doesn't matter what the "count" is on your friends list. If you tell folks you have the privacy settings high, then that explains why it isn't easy to even find your name in order to send you an invite. If you like the person, you can always tell them - "my privacy settings are high so you probably can't do a search and find me - so I will send you an invite." Or say nothing at all and just send them an invite if they express interest in hooking up on FB.

As you "like" pages on FB, their posts will start showing up in your newsfeed. If you "like" pages such as those of sports figures or teams, for example, or musicians, then you can "share" those stories on your page, and that will give folks an idea of what you like when they go to your page and see what is posted there.

Think of FB as your own little magazine about your life. What do you want others to see? Know about? You took a hike and here are some of the photos from it. You went out to eat and here is the menu. You like listening to several musicians and here is a YouTube vid of one of your favorite songs.

You will be fine! Just make it a place where you can share with friends.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I think those unpleasant years are finally behind me .
But they aren't.
They are still important enough to you that you included all that (extraneous) information in a post about using Facebook....

re: Facebook
Popularity should not enter into it.
The number of friends you have doesn't matter.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Like I said, I moved to a different area. I think those unpleasant years are finally behind me .
You have been hunkered down trying to survive.

You got through it. Connecting with others will probably be a good thing for you at this stage. Just be selective who you let into your world. If they are drama vampires, then you don't need to be hooked up in life - in any way.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:16 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Facebook is a waste. Don't bother to join it.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:26 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I noticed that most of my FB friends joined in 2007. I only ever signed up because several friends had done so already, and that was where they were posting pictures of their kids and updates on their lives, rather than on email, and I didn't want to miss out.

I have a whopping 52 friends, which are all friends and family. No coworkers, no one that I just met and added. You can use FB however you want, and you have control over who you let into your FB world. My husband's cousin is the type that has 900 FB friends, and gets validation from that, yet every time she posts something, it's the same 10 people who "like" her comments and photos, telling me no one cares about her every thought and vacation photo as much as she does.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 AM

About security settings... let's say there's a bicycle that I see on a FB yard sale. I'm not worried about my empty account, but what does the seller see on my account when I respond? Is my page locked from viewing?

Last edited by nc17; 08-07-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
About security settings... let's say there's a bicycle that I see on a FB yard sale. I'm not worried about my empty account, but what does the seller see on my account when I respond? Is my page locked from viewing?
You can actually "view" what others see on your FB page. Look at the security settings button, I think. There is a list of items and one is a link that actually lets you see what others will see when they click on your page.

If you keep your security settings high (friends only can post and read your posts, no tagging without your permission, etc) - basically what others see would be whatever "profile picture" and "header" photo you have chosen, and a few details under your "about" section, I believe - and I think it may show some of the "likes" you have selected, such as movies you like, books, etc.

Spend some time on your page looking at settings and check things out. Also, I have seen YouTube vids that walk you through how to make settings changes, step by step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships