U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM

5,514 posts, read 5,040,174 times

Advertisements

I was working at an elementary school when some crazy guy went on a rampage and shot several people in Binghamton NY. He killed the parents of one of our students. It was pretty horrible. They found out when no one showed up to get the little girl off the school bus. The principal had to go to the house and convince the older brother to let her in and then find next of kin. That poor little girl was as dumb as a box of rocks.

I know another woman whose husband was stolen by a woman she knew from high school. A few months later he died after a mysterious fall during an argument with the 'other woman'. The 'other woman' was very active in state politics and had been married to a mover and shaker who hung out with some presidential couple. (The Gores? the Doles? I don't remember) Several years later the 'other woman' was killed in her bed by some random drug addict. Karma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM

27,139 posts, read 29,543,839 times
I am always really excited when the people I met in my networking group are nationally recognized. A few are regulars on NPR, and a few others have been recognized by the White House for good works!

One of the classmates involved in a political scandal is now is a high profile campaign strategist/activist in DC and I love to see his Facebook updates of all of the good progress on his cause.

The other scandal classmate is up to not a whole lot. His scandal killed his political career, and he wanted to be a politician since high school.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:08 PM

5,703 posts, read 16,132,579 times
About 5 years after high school a guy I graduated with entered a hospital with a shot gun looking to kill a Dr. that worked there. What made the situation even more bizarre is my mom witnessed the whole thing as she worked for that Dr. on occasion. She was in her office and heard a bunch of yelling. She looked out into the hall and saw this guy pointing a shot gun at people screaming he wanted to know where Dr. "So and So" was. My mom dove under her desk for cover. Security and the local police responded quickly and tackled the guy.

After everything was settled my mom's boss, security and the police asked her to look up this guy in the system so they could figure out what the hell was going on. Turns out his wife had a miscarriage a month prior and he saw the medical bill which listed the diagnosis as spontaneous abortion, which is the medical term for miscarriage. He thought she had an abortion. :roll eyes: So he took it upon himself to try and shoot the Dr. that treated her. His wife had legally separated from him and also had a retraining order against him as well. I guess during a brief period of trying to make their marriage work she got pregnant.

My mom came over right after work to tell me all about what happened. She said the guy was the same age as me and still lived in the city where we lived. She asked me if I knew him. I was stunned, I did know him. He was actually quite popular in high school and on the football team. He married his high school girlfriend so I knew his wife too. He sure turned out to be a prize. A big drunk and a cocaine addict. He was previously arrested for domestic abuse which led to his restraining order. The whole thing made the news and the local papers. I hated high school so never kept in touch with anyone and didnt know what anyone was doing. He had moved back into his parents home and delivered newspapers for a living. It was surprising to me and one of the first realizations that just because someone was popular in high school didn't mean they went on to bigger and better things. I was also shocked by his physical condition. He was very heavy and looked bad, strung out bad. He didnt do much jail time for the incident.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,336,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I was working at an elementary school when some crazy guy went on a rampage and shot several people in Binghamton NY. He killed the parents of one of our students. It was pretty horrible. They found out when no one showed up to get the little girl off the school bus. The principal had to go to the house and convince the older brother to let her in and then find next of kin. That poor little girl was as dumb as a box of rocks.
Wow, that was kind of harsh to end with that comment.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM

10,620 posts, read 4,923,479 times
Bad: A dear friend from high school was one of several victims in a shooting in the Pacific northwest about a decade ago.
I was awfully sad to hear that, we got along well and he was a real sweetheart, wouldn't hurt a fly.
Found out about it via the subject line in a classmates email (from another friend of his) which I couldn't read
bc. I wouldn't sign up there, but the subject line was enough for me to know to google the story & discover the shocking news.

Good: A passing acquaintance in high school (same year as me) was talented musician,
many years later I saw ad for his CD and performance & was impressed he'd "made it" in the jazz scene.

Alas, one more often seems to learn of things that went terribly wrong than the things that turned out for the good.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,501,647 times
One of my high school classmates was featured in a nude spread in Playboy. Does that count? Today it would probably make her more popular, but back then it was a "scandal" that mortified her conservative Catholic family.

When I lived in our nation's capital many moons ago, I was acquainted with several people who were involved in the Watergate hearings. You better believe they were popular party guests. And one of my neighbors was the bar waitress who served local stripper Fanne Foxe and powerful Rep. Wilbur Mills the night they got drunk, wrecked their car, and Foxe jumped into the Tidal Basin in an effort to escape the police. A fun-for-the-public political scandal of the day.

I also am related by marriage to a wealthy executive who was involved in an embarrassing incident that got him fired from a very high level corporate job. It was a big enough deal that it was covered in the Wall Street Journal, among other financial publications. To this day his mother-in-law has no idea that's why he is currently "self-employed." Apparently she doesn't Google.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:18 PM

2,917 posts, read 2,328,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
I died in 9/11.

Or at least I have been accused of dying in 9/11. Turns out a guy about my age with the same exact name as me who lives in same exact town as me died in the WTC attack on 9/11.

Periodically to this day I run into people who tell me they thought I was dead. One guy I know from years ago at a knick game came up to me point blank and said I thought you were dead. I go no I am not dead. He then goes are you sure? Cause I am pretty sure you died in 9/11. Then he walks away as he did not believe me I was not dead.

So I chaulk it off till he is a nut, then two years ago I switch dentists and turns out I get the dead guys dentist. Midway through dentists asks me hey aren't you my old patent who died in 9/11. How are you I have not seen you since the attacks. I am like seriously how could I be him. He was like I dont know but you are the one with same name name, same age, same town and same dentist maybe you pretended to die or something. I am like this is getting strange.
Is that meant to be funny? I knew someone (not a friend) who was later killed in the WTC attack.

Also, I met a criminal whose notorious act led to a civil-rights court matter that lasted for at least a decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or