U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM

323 posts, read 416,941 times

Advertisements

She HAS heard frank talk about it. She needs to see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,842,647 times
There are only two possibilities: either it's dementia or if she's not that old, then some kind of mental illness. Why do you take her in your car? I wouldn't. I don't care if you're GOD. If you don't wash and stink, like the way you've described, you are NEVER getting in my car or my house. I live alone so that decision is easy. You need to involve a social worker. If your mother refuses treatment, then you may have to have it forced on her. I don't know how comfortable you feel with that. It's really your decision.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,842,647 times
She is eventually going to get things like lice, bedbugs in the house, athletes foot, and yes, "feminine yeast" issues. Lice and other critters spread.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 PM

445 posts, read 1,241,500 times
You said in your original post that your mother works. I wonder how her co-workers feel about the stink. It sounds like mental illness. She's not a drug abuser, is she? Many drug addicts develop an aversion to showering.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM

13,840 posts, read 25,215,602 times
She needs to go to the doctor and find out what's wrong. It may well be dementia or some type of mental illness. Or she may be afraid of falling and needs help or something as simple as a shower chair. Have you asked her why she does not bathe regularly?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

31 posts, read 26,394 times
I agree with the depression opinion. I get where I'm very sloppy about stuff but noone's told me I reek. I have chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia and depression. I do clean up for dr visits and going out. Mostly mine stems from being sick with respitory problems all of the time. I would get her to a medical Dr under the physical check up guise. Talk to the Dr ahead of time and see if you can get her on an anti depressant and some counseling. Most important do you treat her special? Send her flowers? Remember her birthday with a card and a small gift? Or just because she's your mom? I definitely wouldn't tell her she reeks and refuse to see her. If it's not depression maybe she needs the dr to talk to her about hygiene and how it is connected to wellness. Tell her if she's afraid she'll catch cold to not leave the house with wet hair, to take a shower in the evening. Take her to the beauty shop for manacures and pedicure and to get her hair done. Buy her a new outfit. The more special and loved she feels the more she'll care about her appearance. Is she widowed or divorced? Does she have a partner? These are all factors to consider. Treat her with kindness she's your mom.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,460,613 times
Sounds like she's afraid of water. Definitely some kind of mental health issue.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,680,365 times
This all sounds just a tad trollish to me. The op doesn't work, lives at home with her mom and a bunch of kids, yet she has her own car? Not to mention the whole gist of this thread.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:45 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,430,712 times
Can she get in and out of the shower easily? That presents a challenge to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or