Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times

Advertisements

Just asking the OP, is the person at issue dumping the water AT your front door, or are they dumping it in front of THEIR front door, a flight above, and it runs off the landing and pools in front of your door? If it's the latter, it could be that they are completely unaware that it is an issue for you, and they think it is quickly drying on the 2nd floor landing and is only a temporary nuisance for themselves.

That may impact how you approach this. One is being deliberately inconsiderate, and the other is being inadvertently inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 PM

85 posts, read 317,366 times
Hello Kettlepot,

In response to your question.

The neighbor, who lives a flight above, is either dumping the water on their landing, which then comes down through the gap, or dumping it through the gap, either way it seems like most of it ends up outside my front door.

This happened for the first time two day ago, around 6pm, i.e. the third photo at the bottom of the original post.

At that time I informed the courtesy guard in the property as the management office was closed. I was concerned as what that was.

The guard spoke to the neighbor at that time and I presume made them aware that it was inconveniencing the downstairs tenant.

Then, this morning, at 130am, I noticed it happening again....so I am concerned as to why this was repeated? And will it continue to happen?

thank you to everyone else who replied too...please keep your thoughts coming, and I will let you know if I take action tomorrow.

Thank you,
Andrew

Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
I would not engage them, especially since they were already warned. Wondering, are they section 8 tenants?

I know you mentioned luxury in your post but that just not typical. I think it's either young guys or someone that is not responsible for paying the whole rent. That type of behavior is the stuff you see in housing projects and low income housing. Not cool. I would be pissed living under them. Might be annoying, but might be worth it to ask to move to another unit. Pick a second story apartment like the knucklehead/s upstairs!

Oh, and to answer your previous question from earlier today, the picture looked like it wasn't ice and water. It was like soap suds.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM

Thanks kharing,

No this is not section 8 housing, it is a rental community, where the typical rent is about $1.25/sq ft. which is typically 25-30% higher than the 'average' in Houston.

The tenants have two newer cars, each about 30-40k, so I would guess they are affluent.

They are a young couple in their late 20s or maybe early 30s.

I found out that last night they dumped their ice box, and yesterday I am not sure, i.e. the photo with the white bits in it.

So, should I let it slide and wait and watch for another incident or inform the management office?

The management office has previously offered me to move to another apartment in this community within my lease, and is willing to waive the transfer fees for moving during the lease.

I am just concerned that I hope I do not move to an apartment with less considerate neighbors than these, since I do not know who the neighbors are...unless I go and meet them before hand.

Thank you,
Andrew

Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Someone does that where I live, it's so annoying. Right over the walkway too. So every time I have to walk through there, I have to make sure there's nothing dripping first.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
the stain in picture 1 and 2 looks like it is either coming from or going under the wall. Could it be water from the building leaking and going thru the wall and landing on your patio floor there? could be a pipe in the wall leaky.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. It is definitely not from the wall, as on the first occasion, the individual told the guard they did it.

Thank you,
Andrew

Old 08-14-2014, 11:57 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Could it have been done by a different occupant of the same apartment the 2nd time? And the guard would have to talk to both of them, to make them aware it was a problem?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,046,941 times
Send the pictures to management in an email. It's now out of your hands and it's their responsibility, not yours. If someone gets injured -- it's not your fault or liability -- it's theirs (the management). Keep record of the email.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
I live on the first floor of a three floor apt bldg. I get all the junk from above, water, dirt from vacuum cleaners, dirt from plants, cigarette butts, trash, you name it. I don't report it to the office because what can they do.
It's very annoying to say the least. Directly above me, they poured water that was right outside my front door. Maybe they were washing off the landing...I don't know..but folks just don't bother considering who's below them.
I used to say something to the tenants but that's not a good idea.....they deny it anyway. Since I'm a woman living alone I have to be careful what I say. It is what it is!

Get used to it is all I can tell you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships