Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 AM

85 posts, read 317,222 times

Advertisements

Hello chaps,

How are all of you? I have a quick question on acceptable social behavior, before I take any required action.

As you know I am a foreigner (legal) living and working in Houston. I live in an upscale rental apartment complex near Spring (pay about $1.25 sq/ft in monthly rent) and have been dealing with different issues with my neighbors from upstairs.

There are only two floors with one unit each in my part of the complex. My apartment on the first floor and one above.

In the recent couple of days the upstairs neighbor has dumped what I am told is their ice chest on their landing (i.e. outside their front door upstairs) and all of the water/ice mix has landed right outside my front door - see photos below please.

Is this acceptable behavior? Or should I report it to the management office?

This occurs without notice, and I am concerned that it could wet/hurt someone entering my apartment, or even be a slip hazard due to the ice?

I am not sure whether this is within the domain of my rights as a tenant, or since it is not occurring inside my apartment, although at the entrance to, it is community property and acceptable behavior?

If I should raise the matter, I prefer to do so with the management office.

I appreciate your guidance so I can do the right thing.

Thank you!
Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
Looks like it's under the stairwell, not directly in front of your door. Still, it's disgusting enough to put a call in to the management office. I wouldn't engage the upstairs neighbor....just go to management and let them handle it. Looks like more than water.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Personally, I think it's better to approach the neighbor.

I'd go upstairs, knock on the door and say this, "Hi, I'm Pedro, and I live downstairs from you. The other day, I was bringing in groceries and slipped and nearly busted my bum on the ice and water that ran down from your landing. It caused me to break several beers in a twelve pack I had, which not only upset the beer gods but also was a pain to clean up. In the future, if you could please empty the water and ice in the grass, I'd really appreciate it. Broken beer is bad."

Yes, there is some creative license used to illustrate the point and to add some humor.

I'd try something like this FIRST.

If the management approaches him first, he'll know it's you and then, most likely, think, "Why didn't he just come talk to me? What a #$%^." And then it becomes more of an issue.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Thank you kharing!

The first two photos (nighttime) show the water right outside my front door, while the third photo, taken at a different time, shows the water slightly to the left of my front door.

It seems like this is a violation of the space associated with my apartment, but I do not want to file an unwarranted complaint to the management office.

p.s. It seems like ice? or something else?

Any other thoughts?

I definitely do not want to engage the number as he has engaged in other inconsiderate behavior in the past, related to parking, which I have reported to the management office.

I have no personal friendship or grudge against the neighbor.

Thank you!
Andrew

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,296,719 times
If it is a safety issue take these pictures and talk to the management about your concern. Do not engage with the person directly. If possible, ask for the management to move you to a different unit. Build your case based on previous instances.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Thank you TexasTony and PedroMartinez as well.

I am not sure if it is a serious issue, but to me, it definitely seems like a safety risk, as well as 'littering' and inconsiderate behavior...

Is it within reason for me to complain about that area?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,334 times
This is a common thing for inconsiderate neighbors to do. You can complain to the neighbor, but he will likely just cuss at you. You can complain to the property manager, but they'll likely ignore it. Apartment living is terrible.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
You can complain to the neighbor, but he will likely just cuss at you.
Maybe, maybe not.

Some people really don't realize what they are doing until it is pointed out, and at that time they modify their behavior.

Some people don't want to be the bad guy, and when you say something to them, they change their behavior.

Personally, I would definitely say something, because it is a safety hazard and an annoyance.

The worst thing that will most likely happen is the neighbor will ignore you and continue the behavior.

I bet that if you approached the neighbor in the way I laid out, he will change the behavior. Just try to keep it polite and a bit light-hearted. If you approach it in an adversarial way, it's much more likely not to be received well.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:45 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,553 times
You nicely approach the neighbor and show pics. If neighbor does not stop this, then do the same with management. You record each time you have a conversation on piece of paper: date, time of day and conversation had on the issue. If all fails, you may have to give an ultimatum to the management that if they don't get the tenant to stop this thing that is potentially creating a safety hazard, you will take the matter to small claims/housing court. In the winter, that water will freeze and you can slip and fall on it. That is a lawsuit waiting to happen.What the hell is wrong with these giamoccas? You have to stand up for yourself. That's all.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Looks like it's under the stairwell, not directly in front of your door. Still, it's disgusting enough to put a call in to the management office. I wouldn't engage the upstairs neighbor....just go to management and let them handle it. Looks like more than water.
+1 looks more than water. Are they washing their car with an ice chest or something? Cause it looks like there's soap.

If your management is e-mail savvy, I'd send them an e-mail and ask generally: is it OK if someone dumps their ice chest out in front of someone's door?

But it just depends on how your complex is ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships