U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:12 AM

341 posts, read 446,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I have a friend with two cats and two dogs who went out of town three times in a six month span...guess who got stuck taking care of them? Not only that ,I cleaned her filthy kitchen, vacuumed weeks of animal fur and supplied pet food because they didn't have enough while she was out of town. I live 15 miles aways, so it was inconvenient and over the holidays. She never offered to pay me back, never thanked me for cleaning up and the last times she just said, "the animals look good!"
She wonders why I distanced myself from out friendship. Luckily, she moved out of town...and yes I helped just to get her on the road a little quicker.
She sucks the life out of all her friends and is a lonely middle-aged woman with no prospects of relationships in any capacity. I hate that I let her use me but glad I decided to use my boundaries with her. Ironically, I graduate from university next week with a graduate degree in professional counseling.
So...your not the only nice ******* out there! It is time to call a spade a spade...
Lol, seriously, I would have helped load that moving truck up too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM

37,613 posts, read 14,602,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I pay 20$ a visit for my cat, and it's a professional service in my area. It's a twenty minute visit. I love it! Refer her to a new pet sitting business.

She might be paying that to some random person, so she might not be lying.
Cats might be able to get by with one visit per day. Dogs not so much.

But I agree that helping her find a suitable pet sitter/kennel would be the way to go.

There are lots of options, even last minute ones. They might not be as inexpensive as you. I doubt that she is going to get both dogs cared for for $25/day, but if she can afford a cruise, she can afford to have her dogs well cared for.

Help her find a good place and you'll all be happy campers.

Just a thought, but people who take advantage of a friend's good nature rarely turn out to be long-term friends. Once you draw the line, they'll find someone else to take advantage of.

However, friends who know and respect boundaries often end up being lifetime buds.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:33 AM
miu

17,093 posts, read 34,462,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Do you travel much? If so, do you have someone check on your cat and feed him and clean his litter box? If so, it seems like it would be reasonable to exchange cat care for dog care.

I don't disagree with the "just say no" concept, but just keep in mind that if you do, you will probably close off any chance that this other person will cat-sit for you.
No. Her friend already owes her two cat-sits, or days of cat-sits equal to the number of days she's dog-sat.

What's wrong with boarding her dogs with a professional?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you feel you must, fine. But as her friend, you could also say that you've thought it over and you just aren't up for 6 days of dogs and you will help her find someone to care for her dogs.

CL is full of listings for dogsitters. There are kennels galore. Teenagers and retired folks who could use a little extra cash.

Help her find someone for this time and future trips so that your friendship could continue, unleashed from the dog care duties.
You're much nice than I am. Under these circumstances, I would never help her find someone else. Why would I use my time when she can use her time? Also, she might not like the person I thought was suitable.

OP, if you're a couple of weeks out from the next scheduled sitting, I'd call her today and say you can't do it, without any further explanation or offer to help her find someone. The dogs are her responsibility and she can either find a professional pet sitter or stay home. You're time and energy are just as important as hers.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM

13,098 posts, read 24,778,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree that she is underpaying you and taking advantage of your friendship. Perhaps her kennel charges less but around my area kennels cost $25 to $30 a night per dog.

Just tell her "no" the next time, or check out the full rates in your area for pet sitters and change her those rates (if you want to earn some extra money).
Minimum...kennels by me charge a minimum and it increases by weight of dog.

Just say NO now and be done with it as it will be an ongoing issue until you nip it

Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 AM

16,823 posts, read 17,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The way I handle that is to not list it but quote it when they call. This is for new people I don't know.

Sometimes if you have too many prices and conditions on your site people don't read it right, or get confused, or you don't have leeway to make business decisions.

I HAVE gotten really GOOD jobs at the last minute, too. It goes both ways.

One client just had me do a live in for three full weeks for one cat. That was a couple thousand dollars and she had a beautiful condo on the beach and was in the part of town that most of my jobs are located. I may not be in the mood to do a long live in or be too heavily booked to give them the right amount of attention. So I need to discuss it with the client to see if both of our needs would be met. OR they may just be too far for the other jobs I have booked that week.

Once I met her cat I agreed with her he was hilarious and needed full time supervision LOL.

Here he is inspecting my smoothie straws; HE opened that box with no effort at all, I gave him the straws as a toy and we had fun with that. :

I normally charge the rates on my site BUT....I have "individual case basis" on my site for some things, because I can't always do every job for the same price. IE if you ask me to do an overnight in a neighborhood that is not convenient to my other jobs that day.

Sometimes I have diabetic clients who need insulin at exact times. So if I HAVE TO BE THERE at 7AM, and you live too far away and I have to get up at say, 5AM to do you AND the diabetic...I charge more. I might charge you an extra hour or something for me having to get up so much more early to start my day. It really all depends. It's good experience and teaches you what type of sitter you want to be.

I have friend that get ALL their business on Craigslist and it works out in their particular area. It all depends.

ALSO depends on if you are just a "one off" job that I'll never hear from again or if you'll be an ongoing client potentially. Some sitters won't take those one off jobs that are "other sitter cancelled" and we usually ask "WHAT other sitter? A friend or a real sitter?" Because if they usually use friends they usually won't use you again so why make yourself crazy for a whole week for that? Of course, NEW people will take EVERY job and SHOULD, IMO.

Or, "OK well I CAN squeeze you in but I am not at the beach area that time of day so I have to charge you a surcharge for the gas."

IF I want the job, I might also tell them "OK well I need to charge you for the Meet & Greet that is normally free but I have to squeeze you in because it's last minute notice. Then after I see what's involved I can book you".

Also, cats you can usually squeeze in but it still requires you to rearrange your route or schedule. More gas, or going super early etc.

If the people are hesitant, then I decline the job. If they are like "OMG no problem I don't mind paying for the M&G I'm desperate". Then it's a better sign that they'll be great clients.

TBH, pet sitting is as much about being good with people as it is being good with animals.

If I get a RARE call or job that doesn't work out then I put them in my contacts under the name of "Do Not Service" because sometimes the people end up calling you again forgetting they called you the first time.

These are all things you learn from other pet sitters including keeping the property and animals safe and your clients happy with your service and having a relationship with them instead of being a bunch of strangers.

It's definitely not about the money but you can't work cheap or you go out of business FAST.

Speaking of that cat: See that workstation? All her countertops are marble. You can spot and stain marble counters with just water if you don't know it. THink about doing a LIVE IN with all marble in the kitchen prohibiting you from being NORMAL with your cooking or risking them coming home to "ruined" marble!

That would be a bigger factor in my decision than an inexperienced sitter would think of if they didn't know!

And you BETTER have insurance because they CAN get a judgment on property damage even if they can't get a large one on if God forbid something happens to the pet who is considered "property" and only gets cost of replacement.

And THAT"S WHY some people want YOU to take the animals in YOUR house. Either their house is not fit for "company" or they don't want you or their own pets to damage it LOL.
Thank you for the information. I really enjoyed hearing more about professional pet setting and I am sure that others found it useful or interesting, too.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,933,711 times
I'm a dog person through and through.

My first reaction is that if your friend can afford to vacation that often, she can afford to either get a reliable pet sitter for her dogs or take them to a boarding facility. I don't think you should expend the time to find an alternative for her. She's the dog owner, not you. I don't think you should give up your holiday weekend. That's YOUR time to recharge and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
.....Now, whenever my roomie asks, I just simply say, "Sorry I can't." I don't give any reason why I can't ....
^^^This. I don't think you need to say anything else and I certainly wouldn't make something up. If your friend gets angry/upset over something simple like that, I agree with the others that she wasn't much of a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
....If you don't want to do it, don't. Tell her you just can't do it. You don't owe her a reason either. Just "I'm sorry, I wont be able to do it".....
Just like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You're much nice than I am. Under these circumstances, I would never help her find someone else. Why would I use my time when she can use her time? Also, she might not like the person I thought was suitable.

OP, if you're a couple of weeks out from the next scheduled sitting, I'd call her today and say you can't do it, without any further explanation or offer to help her find someone. The dogs are her responsibility and she can either find a professional pet sitter or stay home. You're time and energy are just as important as hers.
Try to remember that last sentence. You and your pets are important too. Just as important as she thinks hers are.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,429,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

You just refer her to a pet sitter agency and/or boarding facility. Takes less than five minutes.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:04 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,727,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You just refer her to a pet sitter agency and/or boarding facility. Takes less than five minutes.
Maybe, or maybe not. When I found a petsitter for us, I spent a lot of time looking online and calling and leaving messages. The same was true when I found a boarding facility for our dog. But the point is that the OP is still taking care of a problem for Dog Lady that Dog Lady ought to be taking care of for herself. The fact that DL asked OP to help out with the dogs does not obligate OP find an alternate pet sitter if she backs out. At most it requires OP to give DL adequate notice so she can make other arrrangments.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:20 PM

5,038 posts, read 5,926,867 times
I was the back up dog sitter until I moved out of state. I'm a cat person, too. It was getting to be a bit much. I didn't mind once or twice a year because I take daily walks, anyway, but it was starting to be an ever-other weekend thing.

Hint: if you decide to engage in a long-distance romance and you have dogs, make sure your intended likes them, too. Don't dump them on your friends. Take them with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or