Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
I have known her for over 20 years, reconnected a few years ago but didn't really see each other too often. This had become a problem because this is the first time I've lived close enough for it to be a reasonable request. Also my new commute takes me within a few miles of her house. I'm not the type to leave the dogs alone (crated, no less) for 24/7 except a brief walk morning and evening, so I stayed at her place the 1 night, and them at mine the 4 for the second occurance.

Its just exhausting since dogs are like babies, require constant attention.
Good heavens, woman, just say "no." People will take advantage of you as long as you let them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,296 times
Tell her you can't. Tell her how you have recently started a new job that required a 6 month probation period which means you can't take time off till November, and you don't want to give time that you might need later. Save that 2nd 3 day weekend for yourself.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:38 PM

362 posts, read 559,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
As a pet sitter and dog walker, I GUARANTEE you that no professional sitter "backs out of" jobs. EVER.

Our entire reputation depends on it.

How do I know? Because I belong to all the national pet sitter groups and we are all the same. There are very few irresponsible sitters and they don't stay in business for long or get much work.

She probably went to Craigslist or care dot com and tried to get some cheap-o service if it's true at all.

SAY NO. You don't need excuses.

OR ask her to pay you the going rate. 25.00 per visit. NO overnights they cost natl average 75.00 just to sleep there. LIVE IN runs 100 per day and doesn't mean you stay the whole time you still leave and come back off and on during the day.

Get paid cash/check in advance for the entire job. NO refunds or credit on early returns.
Good grief I have been seriously underpaid.
She says she normally pays $25 a night and the dogs (2) stay overnight.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:42 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,480 times
that biotch is using her. come on....seriously? she's got to stand up for herself. she can do it nicely but she's got to do that. otherwise that scenario will never end.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
I agree with the others about just saying No. There are many ways to say it in a tactful way, and here's one:

"Am sorry, but I won't be available to watch your dogs."

Best not to say that you won't be 'available' for any particular time frame because then she'll think that you'd be available at another time. You don't have to give any reason at all.

She can leave the dogs in a kennel while she's away.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:47 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times
I used to ask my parents every time, until my mother told me she couldn't (wouldn't) do it anymore. I understood that I was imposing & never asked again.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
On top of that, I have recently started a new job that required a 6 month probation period which means I can't take time off till November. So I'll be donating my 2nd 3 day weekend to her dogs...

And did I mention I am not a dog person.

Not sure why some people don't realize how imposing they can be, but I can't see myself getting off this doggy duty without alienating her as a friend.
1) I think you should make plans of your own for the 2nd 3 day weekend...why would you donate your hard earned time to someone who is more than happy to have you as a 'friend'?

2) You're not a dog person.

3) she certainly realizes the imposition, however, you have thus far been quite accommodating on two previous doggie time offs for her...what is one more?

I have two dogs and IF I do go somewhere, I take them with me. Obviously I make plans where they can be included therefore I don't need to put other people out. Your 'friend' will not do this because she has you and you are kinder and far more conscientious of this 'friendship' than she is.

Your life, your time...your call!

Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
So this could be more of a rant than anything else.

Long story short. I am a cat person. While I love dogs I do not love the high maintenance required.
Have a friend that has started using me for her dog sitting services when she is out of town. First time for 1 night over the memorial weekend holiday, 2nd time last month for 4 nights, her 3rd request is for 6 nights while she goes on a cruise during Labor Day weekend.

Yes she compensates me for my time, but since I'm not a dog person, I really consider the inconvenience to be not worth the $$, and I don't need the extra cash.

I have kindly requested that she only use me as back up, that I would do it only as a favor as a last resort. Now I'm being told her normal dog sitter had backed out, and I know she'll be guilting me into it. On top of that, I have recently started a new job that required a 6 month probation period which means I can't take time off till November. So I'll be donating my 2nd 3 day weekend to her dogs...

And did I mention I am not a dog person.

Not sure why some people don't realize how imposing they can be, but I can't see myself getting off this doggy duty without alienating her as a friend.
Only if you let her.

If you alienate her by nicely saying that you can't watch her dogs, she's not much of a friend. She just doesn't want to pay someone what it costs while she's got you doing it for peanuts.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM

I've been in this exact same situation. The summer I was pregnant with my daughter some friends around the corner asked me to dog sit twice. They had two beagles and a very active young lab. I'd waddle over there and let the dogs in and out and all that and it was very burdensome because it was hot and I was already uncomfortable. I think they gave me a gift card or something because I was doing it as a favor. The third time they asked I just said no, explaining that I was 9 months pregnant and it was just too much.

We stayed friends but at that point I didn't care whether we did or not.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Are you 12?

What's wrong with saying NO???

I have a dog and can't find a dog sitter because everybody says NO. I am not mad at them, why would I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships