Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 AM

362 posts, read 559,745 times

Advertisements

So this could be more of a rant than anything else.

Long story short. I am a cat person. While I love dogs I do not love the high maintenance required.
Have a friend that has started using me for her dog sitting services when she is out of town. First time for 1 night over the memorial weekend holiday, 2nd time last month for 4 nights, her 3rd request is for 6 nights while she goes on a cruise during Labor Day weekend.

Yes she compensates me for my time, but since I'm not a dog person, I really consider the inconvenience to be not worth the $$, and I don't need the extra cash.

I have kindly requested that she only use me as back up, that I would do it only as a favor as a last resort. Now I'm being told her normal dog sitter had backed out, and I know she'll be guilting me into it.

On top of that, I have recently started a new job that required a 6 month probation period which means I can't take time off till November. So I'll be donating my 2nd 3 day weekend to her dogs...

And did I mention I am not a dog person.

Not sure why some people don't realize how imposing they can be, but I can't see myself getting off this doggy duty without alienating her as a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post
So this could be more of a rant than anything else.

Long story short. I am a cat person. While I love dogs I do not love the high maintenance required.
Have a friend that has started using me for her dog sitting services when she is out of town. First time for 1 night over the memorial weekend holiday, 2nd time last month for 4 nights, her 3rd request is for 6 nights while she goes on a cruise during Labor Day weekend.

Yes she compensates me for my time, but since I'm not a dog person, I really consider the inconvenience to be not worth the $$, and I don't need the extra cash.

I have kindly requested that she only use me as back up, that I would do it only as a favor as a last resort. Now I'm being told her normal dog sitter had backed out, and I know she'll be guilting me into it.

On top of that, I have recently started a new job that required a 6 month probation period which means I can't take time off till November. So I'll be donating my 2nd 3 day weekend to her dogs...

And did I mention I am not a dog person.

Not sure why some people don't realize how imposing they can be, but I can't see myself getting off this doggy duty without alienating her as a friend.

Say no.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM

5,118 posts, read 16,591,164 times
I AM a dog person, but for a while, I was the "go to" person when my cousin needed a dog sitter. He & his family travel a lot, and since I'm such a dog lover, he would ask me to watch his dogs. Not as often as 3 times in 3 months, but that would be the main reason he would contact me. He lives about 15 minutes away, which isn't far, but also, isn't really close. Last winter I got stuck in the snow in his driveway. It was an ordeal to get out of there. I finally had to tell him I could no longer be a dog sitter during the winter months. Also, during the times I was checking on his dogs, I was not with MY blind dog--who was left alone all day while I was at work.

I totally get how hard it is to deny a favor for a friend because we want to help when we can, but this friend is using you. Respect yourself enough to recognize when you are being used. I know, I know, easier said than done. Tell her that she need to take the time to hire a dog sitter before her next trip. She will keep using you until you stand up for yourself.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
"No, I'm sorry. I'm not available to dog sit."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,353 times
I agree; just say no. Tell her that you have something to do that weekend and you aren't available. Offer to help her find another, professional, dog sitter. Don't agree to do it if you don't want to because it will breed resentment. I'm sure another dog sitter can be found in time.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Do you travel much? If so, do you have someone check on your cat and feed him and clean his litter box? If so, it seems like it would be reasonable to exchange cat care for dog care.

I don't disagree with the "just say no" concept, but just keep in mind that if you do, you will probably close off any chance that this other person will cat-sit for you.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,020,964 times
This sort of situation drives me nuts! Why do so many of us worry about saying no to things we don't want to do, and worry about it ruining a friendship? Where is the friend's worry about ruining the friendship by imposing and assuming that just because you babysat the dog a couple of times, that you're under an obligation to do so forevermore?

Just say no. If she alienates you because of her imposition, she is not someone worth having as a friend.

Last edited by Katnan; 08-14-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 11:04 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
If she is a friend you can tell her that you do not have the time to dog sit for six nights and she has to make other arrangements such as a professional sitting service, kennel boarding. Learn to say no!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:21 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
just say no - she is using you and taking advantage of this "friendship" that she conveniently uses to guilt trip you into saying yes.

she might get mad but you cant control that. she might get mad anyway at you for something else. and there goes the friendship anyway. and all that work you did for her, now for nothing. don't worry, there are kennels out there, and she will find a way to house her dog while vacationing in sunny Bermuda while your sitting at home cleaning up dog poop. Nice friend there!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:36 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl727 View Post

This woman is not your friend, if she knows you are a cat person and is constantly putting you on doggy duty.

You have to stand firm and be honest. Tell her you are not willing to do it anymore. There are plenty of places people can take their dogs. Sure, we'd all prefer a friend take care of our pets but not at the expense of the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships