U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:37 PM

7,495 posts, read 9,767,491 times

Advertisements

I have an interesting question. If there are people who go out specifically to steal spouses and significant others, are there also people who go out to "steal" friends or sabotage friendships or groups of friends? I'm not trying to say it in a controlling way like friends are one's property or anything like that, I'm just wondering if people actually have that mindset and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 805,118 times
Not since high school.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Not since high school.
I would've thought not since elementary school...

Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,567,273 times
I guess if there are people who don't want to share their friends (more than likely only one friend), they may try to sabotage relationships. I certainly know of one woman who believed that her "best" friend was stolen. She has a difficult time keeping friends so maybe this is her excuse.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I guess if there are people who don't want to share their friends (more than likely only one friend), they may try to sabotage relationships. I certainly know of one woman who believed that her "best" friend was stolen. She has a difficult time keeping friends so maybe this is her excuse.
Very interesting. I was talking more along the lines of people (or maybe only kids?) who purposely stick themselves between two best friends in a way that lures one out, maybe the one they're "after" has something they want or think they can get, and they have no use for the other friend so they shut them out or whatnot and if the excluded friend has no other (or fewer) friends, they're standing along the sidelines like "what?".

But I agree. Everybody, no matter their age, can use more friends.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:54 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Very interesting. I was talking more along the lines of people (or maybe only kids?) who purposely stick themselves between two best friends in a way that lures one out, maybe the one they're "after" has something they want or think they can get, and they have no use for the other friend so they shut them out or whatnot and if the excluded friend has no other (or fewer) friends, they're standing along the sidelines like "what?".

But I agree. Everybody, no matter their age, can use more friends.
I would say that the friend who got left out is the lucky one. That child now has an opportunity to meet new children who may form more meaningful relationships.

I still think that anyone who thinks their friend was stolen probably needs help building friendship skills.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,327,363 times
Quote:
I have an interesting question. If there are people who go out specifically to steal spouses and significant others, are there also people who go out to "steal" friends or sabotage friendships or groups of friends? I'm not trying to say it in a controlling way like friends are one's property or anything like that, I'm just wondering if people actually have that mindset and why?
Sure, it's all about the conquest. I think it comes from a place of deep insecurity.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM

172 posts, read 214,691 times
Quote:
I know people who do that. I never really though about their rationale. Just keep the friends you want to keep, away from the friend stealers (preemptive strike/steal).

Old 08-17-2014, 09:28 PM

20 posts, read 20,786 times
It's common. I guess such is people, we aren't always sweet

Old 08-19-2014, 06:23 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,476,403 times
Pfft. People can't be stolen. They can leave voluntarily, and normally they do when someone appears too clingy or needy. Someone who worries about who their friend is friends with would qualify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or