U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times

Advertisements

One of my sister's acquaintances was having a party this weekend. Her and my sister had a recent falling out, and my sister is taking a break from her. When my sister filled me in on the details, she told me said acquaintance invited me to the party too. To be honest I find her sort of annoying, so I wouldn't have attended but then I wondered why she didn't just invite me directly.

The woman has my phone number email address. Facebook profile. She even emailed us an unrelated question in the same day she emailed my sister about the party. Clearly she has my contact info. I thought this was sort of stupid. Why is my sister responsible for coordinating my invites and managing my calendar?

My sister and I are pretty close. She has co-opted some of my friends and I have done the same to hers. We spend lots of time together, but we do plenty of social activities apart. The same thing happens to her as well. Someone will have an event, I'll attend and they'll ask me where she is. Meanwhile they didn't invite her. Generally speaking, I just assume my sister will go, or I'll ask her if she is a attending something and we will go together, but I also do not assume and invite for me is an invite for my sister (unless we are talking casual stuff like let's all go to happy hour). She assumes the same, unless someone explicitly says bring more friends, I don't call her to come with me.

So there are two questions buried in here:
1. Do you have friends that treat you and your siblings as a matched set, and assume you go everywhere together?
2. Why do people invite by proxy when they have your info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:53 AM

20,419 posts, read 37,622,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So there are two questions buried in here:
1. Do you have friends that treat you and your siblings as a matched set, and assume you go everywhere together?
2. Why do people invite by proxy when they have your info?
1. No, never. While we are close, we are four years apart and had our own friends.
2. Never had that happen either.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 1,562,481 times
Agree with PittChick. You said yourself that this girl was annoying and that her behavior is stupid. There is a reason for this.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 PM

7,385 posts, read 13,224,704 times
1. Nope.
2. I wouldn't know. Better to ask them, but they'll probably have some lame excuse.

Why didn't your sister tell that person to invite you on their own accord?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,317,985 times
If you find her annoying and were not invited directly then you have an out, don't go and if asked why you were not there say that you didn't know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships