U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Reputation: 16494

Advertisements

EIGHT videos in my newsfeed, just in the past hour. It's not just my friends posting theirs. It's also all the local news stations that I follow (they seem to post every time an anchor or local politician participate), the major networks, and all the celebrity videos that my friends "like". And many of them are showing up on my feed multiple times. I've seen Bill Gates' video at least a half dozen times. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. I will be soooooooo happy when this dies out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Reputation: 16494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And the numbers are being reported by the charity. Why would they lie?
Why would they lie? Because people like you are eating it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
As for last years numbers there are a variety of ways to count; all of last year, just the same month long time period, the amount raised at each charity, etc.
No, the figure for the same time period last year keeps changing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 PM
 
16,600 posts, read 14,088,141 times
Reputation: 20568
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Why would they lie? Because people like you are eating it up!!
I take it you don't understand charities very well. They must account for all of their claimed income. If they are making up 15.6 million, at least 13 million more than any measure from prior time periods


Quote:
No, the figure for the same time period last year keeps changing.
Proof?

And btw, of course it's going to change, their frame of reference is changing. As of Sunday they time period they were comparing was july29-aug17. As of today it will be July29-aug18. Care to guess what tomorrow will be?

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 PM
 
319 posts, read 498,287 times
Reputation: 432
Never heard of ALS, never had a desire to participate in the latest attention-seeking social media PR-building fad, yet to see a video of said 'ice bucket challenge', never donated a dime to the cause.

I seriously doubt the majority of people participating in the fad are donating anything at all. It's pretty easy to jump from $1mil to $4mil in donations when you get 2 or 3 billionaires to give a few pennies. I feel bad for people who think the jump has actually been spurred by millions of people who found out more about ALS or to donated to the cause because of this fad. They really are out of touch with the net-generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 05:21 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,840,183 times
Reputation: 16494
On the way into work this morning, the morning show I listen to was talking about the Ice Bucket Challenge for about 15 minutes. Discussing how to make a "bigger and better" video. Dump trucks, cranes, swimming pools, etc,

Not once during this time did they ever say "ALS" or "Lou Gehrigs Disease" or mention anything about donating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 AM
 
16,600 posts, read 14,088,141 times
Reputation: 20568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Never heard of ALS, never had a desire to participate in the latest attention-seeking social media PR-building fad, yet to see a video of said 'ice bucket challenge', never donated a dime to the cause.

I seriously doubt the majority of people participating in the fad are donating anything at all. It's pretty easy to jump from $1mil to $4mil in donations when you get 2 or 3 billionaires to give a few pennies. I feel bad for people who think the jump has actually been spurred by millions of people who found out more about ALS or to donated to the cause because of this fad. They really are out of touch with the net-generation.
300,000 NEW donors in the last month according to ALSA.org

Ice Bucket Challenge Donations Continue to Exceed Expectations - The ALS Association

And who cares what you think when they think it is great?

What An ALS Family REALLY Thinks About the Ice Bucket Challenge | Bo Stern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
229 posts, read 265,371 times
Reputation: 234
I agree it does seem gimmicky. While the intent of helping ones with this and other diseases is charitable the "challenge" serves no purpose other than self promotion which takes away from the real value. Just seems like a situation they got with a PR company who said this viral stunt would increase awareness and shame people into contributing than a sincere request or traditional approach would. I say SHAME because people call out others and put them on the spot to HAVE TO do it or else they seem like an uncaring jerk. It's actually a form of acceptable peer pressure which in PR form is brilliant but on a scale of why are they REALLY giving or doing seems forced and insincere. I would guess many would not have given if not put on the spot on a public shake down. In my opinion I believe more donations are by the top earners being called out/ put on the spot to give (i.e actors, tech giant CEO's, business leaders, politicians, musicians, tv personalities, etc). I would speculate and agree majority of the challengers just do the bucket challenge for kicks with little regard to ALS.

The question I always had was why a bucket of cold water poured to support ALS? To me it seems a little ironic and silly that to bring awareness to a disease that affects the brain and spinal cord you pour sometimes heavy buckets of ice cold water over your head. Besides the water to the head how many injuries have we seen from this challenge to the head and neck? To me the better challenge if you will is if they know someone with ALS challenge them for one day to visit and see how they can help them or their family for the day. Challenge them to give to someone in need or a random act of kindness. Vow to show manners to others at least for an entire day, etc. All these things affect others in a positive which makes others feel good as oppose to a stunt people most of the time could care less and now seems more and more about them than the cause.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 08-19-2014 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
 
15,254 posts, read 16,842,706 times
Reputation: 25432
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
EIGHT videos in my newsfeed, just in the past hour. It's not just my friends posting theirs. It's also all the local news stations that I follow (they seem to post every time an anchor or local politician participate), the major networks, and all the celebrity videos that my friends "like". And many of them are showing up on my feed multiple times. I've seen Bill Gates' video at least a half dozen times. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all. I will be soooooooo happy when this dies out.
Do you watch every video in your newsfeed? You don't have to. You don't even have to have a newsfeed.

In the meantime, the ALS foundation reports that the campaign has brought in something like 15 million dollars. Do you find that objectionable as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM
 
15,254 posts, read 16,842,706 times
Reputation: 25432
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
I agree it does seem gimmicky. While the intent of helping ones with this and other diseases is charitable the "challenge" serves no purpose other than self promotion which takes away from the real value. Just seems like a situation they got with a PR company who said this viral stunt would increase awareness and shame people into contributing than a sincere request or traditional approach would. I say SHAME because people call out others and put them on the spot to HAVE TO do it or else they seem like an uncaring jerk. It's actually a form of acceptable peer pressure which in PR form is brilliant but on a scale of why are they REALLY giving or doing seems forced and insincere. I would guess many would not have given if not put on the spot on a public shake down. In my opinion I believe more donations are by the top earners being called out/ put on the spot to give. I would speculate and agree majority of the challengers just do the bucket challenge for kicks with little regard to ALS.

The question I always had was why a bucket of cold water poured to support ALS? To me it seems a little ironic and silly that to bring awareness to a disease that affects the brain and spinal cord you pour sometimes heavy buckets of ice cold water over your head. Besides the water to the head how many injuries have we seen from this challenge to the head and neck? To me the better challenge if you will is if they know someone with ALS challenge them for one day to visit and see how they can help them or their family for the day. Challenge them to give to someone in need or a random act of kindness. Vow to show manners to others at least for an entire day, etc. All these things affect others in a positive which makes others feel good as oppose to a stunt people most of the time could care less and now seems more and more about them than the cause.
How does the ice bucket thing take away from the real value? Money is still money.

Who cares if the major donors are rich people? I guarantee that people with ALS and their family members don't care.

I don't know. How many injuries have we seen? I haven't heard of a single one.

How would your idea be a better challenge? You'd have to know someone with ALS in order to participate and while your visit would most likely be appreciated, the funds being raised will go to research, treatment and potentially a cure. In the long term, that is surely a more valuable goal. By all means, we should all practice random acts of kindness. But there is no rule that you can't be kind and raise money at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
229 posts, read 265,371 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
How does the ice bucket thing take away from the real value? Money is still money.

Who cares if the major donors are rich people? I guarantee that people with ALS and their family members don't care.

I don't know. How many injuries have we seen? I haven't heard of a single one.

How would your idea be a better challenge? You'd have to know someone with ALS in order to participate and while your visit would most likely be appreciated, the funds being raised will go to research, treatment and potentially a cure. In the long term, that is surely a more valuable goal. By all means, we should all practice random acts of kindness. But there is no rule that you can't be kind and raise money at the same time.
Hi Marlow
I will only respond once since looking at all your past comments you seem to work yourself up on on this topic so a back and forth conversation with you only seems more debatable than sharing of thoughts. But I will respond once to your questions.

1. You are absolutely correct, people in need do not care if the money is giving by the 1% or 90% they just appreciate any financial assistance. However look closely and that was the MAIN point myself or the OP was trying to make. You got so amped you only looked a this as an attack instead of what people are saying. What was mentioned was the intent. The ice bucket challenge in MANY cases seems like a PR stunt, the bucket "awareness" just comes across as gimmicky. Now have some of these high earners contributed before this, maybe. Are everyday people donating, sure, but I think you didn't need this bucket for people who give because they care. I just think MANY do the bucket challenge plus donate so they don't seem insincere although ironically over looking many of their actions are doing just that. I saw three shows that mentioned the bucket challenge and one upped the other and just once saying the word ALS at the beginning but all that was focused on the video are the challenges. Don't fool yourself, someone tuning in sees this as entertainment value, they are no more inclined to contribute and more inclined just to get in on the fun while ignoring the same awareness it's supposed to bring. Traditional methods to raise awareness focus on the issue this one just seems to focus on the challenges and who is called out next.

2. There have been a few times I've seen online and on TV where the stunt go horribly wrong. Now does someone end up paralyzed? Not to my knowledge nor did I allude to any serious injury, I just mentioned online you can google this challenge going all wrong and it will only take someone getting hurt for people to realize this really is not the best way to get the word out. I also mentioned the irony of bringing attention to a disease the affects the brain and spinal cord and the challenge could affect both.

3. Did you really just say i have to know someone with ALS to participate? So all the people who do this current challenge know ANYONE who has ALS??? No my friend you don't have to know anyone with ALS personally but just like you correctly said people don't care where the money comes from you can agree people with ALS or their families also don't care where the person is at who wants to help them personally and not all acts of kindness involve money. While money helps the cause warm acts of kindness helps the soul. You don't have to have a family member to help someone with ALS. I agree money IS needed to help patients, that you get no argument here by me, however once again the point of my response had not thing to do with people not giving money it was the intent. People love getting Christmas presents but its expected and some say forced, how much more special is it to get kind words, help, or treated well from someone without being forced? If you read my comment I said people SHOULD give out of wanting to help but to peer pressure someone into giving is shaming them and in a society that now thinks any type of shaming is wrong thought more would also see through this as well.

Listen... you just might be someone who is extremely passionate, which that can be a good thing and sometimes can work against you. But you have to see that differences of opinion doesn't entirely mean one has to be wrong or right. Sometimes it just means different thoughts of looking at things which in the USA is a privilege we should cherish while we have it unlike other countries free thinking is not encouraged. But it seems we will agree to disagree in this and don't jump on citydata forum a lot outside my city section to keep checking this but I do still stand by my comments.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 08-19-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top