U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 08:59 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,843,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you watch every video in your newsfeed? You don't have to. You don't even have to have a newsfeed.

No, I don't watch every one, but if I'm getting 8 in an hour, imagine how many I have to scroll past each day. It's getting hard to find the stuff I'm actually interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 09:37 AM

6,085 posts, read 8,381,954 times
I know it seems cranky to complain about something that is raising money and awareness for a terrible disease, BUT it seems a lot of people are just enjoying an excuse to post video of themselves on Facebook and missing the entire point. Are the people doing the challenge even donating money? Have they actually done any research into understanding the disease? It seems a lot of people are only into helping others for the "glory" they get of later posting about how much they helped. Hey, cash is cash I suppose, but I think a true good deed is spending time with someone with this disease or volunteering at a hospital or even just taking a few minutes to do some research on it. Lots of people donate money to charity and they don't tell anyone else the details. ALS is a truly hideous disease - I don't really understand how dumping ice water over your head is supposed to relate to ALS - a few seconds of discomfort is no comparison. Kind of like the fad of posting make up free selfies in support of cancer. Like that is AT ALL the same.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM

5,955 posts, read 5,443,103 times
Here's the thing:

Every single internet fad starts out small and turns into a big, bandwagon jumping thing that is not as pure/good/funny as is was when it first started. That phenomenon is not limited to the ALS challenge. That is kind of the way internet fads work.

People who like to do things for attention and "likes" would still do stuff whether there was an ALS challenge or not.

Some people who attend a big charity fundraising gala only go because their friends are going, or it's cool to be seen there, or whatever. Lots of time they don't know/don't care about the cause. Ditto breast walks, telethons, etc. Nothing can stop any large fundraising effort from attracting those people.

THIS IS HOW BIG SUCCESSFUL CAMPAIGNS WORK. It gets large. People get sick of it. Or complain it's a gimmick (pink ribbons anyone?). It's part of the cycle.

It's called the price of doing business. The bad comes with the good. Want a large influx of cash for a good cause? Deal.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,850,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
Hi Marlow
I will only respond once since looking at all your past comments you seem to work yourself up on on this topic so a back and forth conversation with you only seems more debatable than sharing of thoughts. But I will respond once to your questions.

Thank you. I feel honored.

1. You are absolutely correct, people in need do not care if the money is giving by the 1% or 90% they just appreciate any financial assistance. However look closely and that was the MAIN point myself or the OP was trying to make. You got so amped you only looked a this as an attack instead of what people are saying. What was mentioned was the intent. The ice bucket challenge in MANY cases seems like a PR stunt, the bucket "awareness" just comes across as gimmicky. Now have some of these high earners contributed before this, maybe. Are everyday people donating, sure, but I think you didn't need this bucket for people who give because they care. I just think MANY do the bucket challenge plus donate so they don't seem insincere although ironically over looking many of their actions are doing just that. I saw three shows that mentioned the bucket challenge and one upped the other and just once saying the word ALS at the beginning but all that was focused on the video are the challenges. Don't fool yourself, someone tuning in sees this as entertainment value, they are no more inclined to contribute and more inclined just to get in on the fun while ignoring the same awareness it's supposed to bring. Traditional methods to raise awareness focus on the issue this one just seems to focus on the challenges and who is called out next.

Yes, the ice-bucket challenge is definitely a PR stunt and very gimmicky and many participants are undoubtedly donating so as not to appear insincere. And yes, many people are tuning in to be entertained and get in on the fun. How is that different from the thousands of other fundraisers that happen every day? The Muscular Dystrophy association in our town has a fundraiser where they "arrest" people and put them in jail and their friends make donations to "bail them out." Local politicians love to participate in that because they get a lot of free publicity. The same is true of celebrity roasts, telethons and fundraising concerts. What about the "fill the boot" campaigns where firefighters stand on the corner in uniforms and have people drop money in boots? Very much a gimmicky PR campaign. Or, for that matter, any themed gala dinner/dance/silent auction for any cause, anywhere? Some of the participants care, but those events are usually full of people (lawyers, accountants, insurance agents, local business owners) who are trying to network and look altruistic while doing so.

2. There have been a few times I've seen online and on TV where the stunt go horribly wrong. Now does someone end up paralyzed? Not to my knowledge nor did I allude to any serious injury, I just mentioned online you can google this challenge going all wrong and it will only take someone getting hurt for people to realize this really is not the best way to get the word out. I also mentioned the irony of bringing attention to a disease the affects the brain and spinal cord and the challenge could affect both.

How is this different from a fun run to raise money? People get hurt doing those all the time.

3. Did you really just say i have to know someone with ALS to participate? So all the people who do this current challenge know ANYONE who has ALS??? No my friend you don't have to know anyone with ALS personally but just like you correctly said people don't care where the money comes from you can agree people with ALS or their families also don't care where the person is at who wants to help them personally and not all acts of kindness involve money. While money helps the cause warm acts of kindness helps the soul. You don't have to have a family member to help someone with ALS. I agree money IS needed to help patients, that you get no argument here by me, however once again the point of my response had not thing to do with people not giving money it was the intent. People love getting Christmas presents but its expected and some say forced, how much more special is it to get kind words, help, or treated well from someone without being forced? If you read my comment I said people SHOULD give out of wanting to help but to peer pressure someone into giving is shaming them and in a society that now thinks any type of shaming is wrong thought more would also see through this as well.

No, I didn't say you have to know someone with ALS to participate. You suggested as an alternative that people who care about ALS visit with someone who has it. If you don't know anyone with ALS, I can't imagine how you would make that happen. Your local ALS chapter isn't going to be handing out information about people with the disease to strangers who want to pay them a visit. By all means, if you figure out a way to spend a day with an ALS patient and your visit is welcomed by the patient and family, do so. But doing so is not necessarily a better or more sincere gesture than donating money for a treatment or cure.

Listen... you just might be someone who is extremely passionate, which that can be a good thing and sometimes can work against you. But you have to see that differences of opinion doesn't entirely mean one has to be wrong or right. Sometimes it just means different thoughts of looking at things which in the USA is a privilege we should cherish while we have it unlike other countries free thinking is not encouraged. But it seems we will agree to disagree in this and don't jump on citydata forum a lot outside my city section to keep checking this but I do still stand by my comments.
I could not agree with you more that it's fine to have differences of opinion.

What seems to irk the people complaining about the ice-bucket fundraiser is that it's gimmicky and a PR stunt and people don't seem to care much about ALS itself. The campaign has taken on a life of its own and is all over media and social networks.

In a perfect world, people would learn about ALS, be moved to donate and then immediately make a substantial donation. We obviously don't live in a perfect world. There are a million interests competing for our attention and donations. For whatever reason, and maybe precisely because it allows people 15 minutes (seconds?) of fame, this particular fundraising effort has taken off. It won't last forever because as a society we have a very short attention span. But in the meantime, there's absolutely nothing wrong with raising millions of dollars for a charity that addresses a very serious illness. And there's also absolutely nothing wrong with doing something silly or fun while raising that money.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:06 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,371,262 times
I participated... why? Because I was nominated... so I did it, and donated a few bucks. If you "do the math" it's easily to explain why it became a big thing.

1 person does it.. nominated 3 people... those 3 people do it an nominate 3 people each (9). Those 9 people do it and nominate 3 people each (27). Those 27 people do it and nominate 3 people each (81).

As you can see.... it doesn't take long for it to add up rather quickly. A majority of the people nominated will do it without complaining about it and the minority will share their "gripes" for whatever reasons that it bothers them. Soon enough it'll be over and then something else will take over.

Lather.... Rinse.... Repeat.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM

22,582 posts, read 24,180,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post

I seriously doubt the majority of people participating in the fad are donating anything at all. It's pretty easy to jump from $1mil to $4mil in donations when you get 2 or 3 billionaires to give a few pennies. I feel bad for people who think the jump has actually been spurred by millions of people who found out more about ALS or to donated to the cause because of this fad. They really are out of touch with the net-generation.
But that is along the lines with the "net-generation". Getting a lot of people to give a small amount is how Obama raised money for his campaigns, it's how the Red Cross raised money for Haiti and Hurricane Sandy relief. The idea is that getting one huge donation from a foundation is great, but it's also great if millions of "little people" feel invested enough to donate $10 or $25, whatever they can afford.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:44 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,312,845 times
What is ALS?

Old 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,702,086 times
Yeah... if people really wanted to make a difference, they would donate the $100 and not get water dumped on them.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:07 PM

12,709 posts, read 9,992,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I think that the Ice Bucket Challenge is, in theory, a good idea. I'm sure it has raised a lot of money, and it certainly has raised awareness for ALS. However, I have also noticed that some people are using it for their "15 minutes of fame". Without donating a cent to ALS, some people are posting these "crazy" videos before passing it off to their friends, or someone they think it would be "funny" to dump the ice water on. As I have seen these videos pop up on social media, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that a lot of people who are doing it couldn't give a rats ass about ALS, but just want to post that video so they can rake in the "likes" and show everyone how awesome they are. This was further enhanced when someone nominated me and I didn't do it, not wanting to fall into this game. When I told someone this, they were shocked and said that if I didn't do it 24 hours after I was nominated, I would "have to donate money". Oookay. I said I would rather donate money than get ice water dumped on me when I was pretty sick. Couldn't believe the guy just said that.

It got me thinking about all of the rest of things that people do on social media, just for attention. I have now realized that those long posts on birthdays with pictures on social media that 20 people post per day? Almost all for attention. If these people wanted to, they could personally wish each other happy birthday or send a private message. But instead, for everyone else to see (and "like" of course), they post these things on social media as a sort of publicity stunt.

I don't know if I'm being cynical here. What are y'alls thoughts?
Well, I saw someone dipping in the campus water fountain while being filmed with a big TV-camera for "Ice bucket challenge", the only thing is, it is summer time and I'm sure the water isn't that cold.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM

18,371 posts, read 23,561,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I could not agree with you more that it's fine to have differences of opinion.

What seems to irk the people complaining about the ice-bucket fundraiser is that it's gimmicky and a PR stunt and people don't seem to care much about ALS itself. The campaign has taken on a life of its own and is all over media and social networks.

In a perfect world, people would learn about ALS, be moved to donate and then immediately make a substantial donation. We obviously don't live in a perfect world. There are a million interests competing for our attention and donations. For whatever reason, and maybe precisely because it allows people 15 minutes (seconds?) of fame, this particular fundraising effort has taken off. It won't last forever because as a society we have a very short attention span. But in the meantime, there's absolutely nothing wrong with raising millions of dollars for a charity that addresses a very serious illness. And there's also absolutely nothing wrong with doing something silly or fun while raising that money.
marlow I never knew what als was before this ice bucket challenge

now I know what it is and donated....

no matter if its gimmicky or not,,,this is one of the most successful fund raisers ever- It places people in a silly situation,,,kinda comical
and of course,,,they donate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or