U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 05:07 AM

23,649 posts, read 33,445,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Ice bucket challenge = Narcissism masquerading as charity.
The way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:11 AM

20,596 posts, read 16,645,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm kind of with you. Yeah, I applaud anyone who gives to charity. But I also think charities are something you support without public fooferaw. You just quietly write the check, put it in an envelope, and mail the thing.
Well if people did that of their own volition more often, they wouldn't need to do stunts, but they don't, so they apparently need the stunts.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Wow, some of you are crabby. To answer the reason behind why ice water is dumped on your head, when the ice hits your head, for two seconds it shuts your muscular system down and simulates what it is like to have ALS. Also, you are supposed to donate $10 if you do it, $100 if you don't but no one is forcing anyone to do anything. I know if I nominated my dad, he would probably just ignore it because he's a tightwad and hates to be cold. LOL.
I personally enjoy the videos, I took the time to learn about the disease, to learn about Peter Frates who wanted to bring awareness to this once he was diagnosed in hopes that he could do some good before he left this earth and I was nominated last night and will be doing it tonight.

Also, I must know some pretty great people because every video I've seen that my friends post they've mentioned that you should donate as well as do the challenge.
Thanks for this info, I didn't know that was the reason, it makes perfect sense.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,837,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Fundraising can be dangerous:

LAX police officer dies after running in memorial 5K for former colleague

Nikki Herbison died during 5K charity fun-run | Mail Online

11 yr old dies of heart attack after 5K run - FOX 26 News | MyFoxHouston

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM

3,910 posts, read 4,651,824 times
I normally just quietly give to charity on my own, without fanfare.

I have not been challenged for the bucket thing yet, but I figured the time was coming. So yesterday I donated $50 to ALSA and $50 to Charity:Water. I posted on Facebook that rather than film a video and waste the water (considering the world-wide drought going on right now), I wanted to help a water charity build wells to PROVIDE water. I then challenged three people to do the same.

One took the challenge and donated to both ALSA and Charity:Water last night, while another is planning something with her company and will donate to both once that is done. The third hasn't responded, but I KNOW she won't do a video, but will donate to both, because that's the type of person she is.

I think it's a much nicer alternative because it helps more than one charity. Various water charities include:
Charity:Water
Water Missions International
Water for Good
Blood:Water Mission
WaterAid America
Water for People

Old 08-21-2014, 10:05 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,569,348 times
wow, I'm glad I fould this thread. I've been thinking the same thing for weeks now. This is more of a "trendy" thing to do than it is about the cause.

Both celebrities and family/friends...NONE of these people would be interested in raising awareness for ALS and donating unless they got to make a funny video and post it on the internet for attention.

If you asked every single person who has participated if they had ever done anything to promote awareness or donate to ALS before the Ice Bucket challenge, I'd say 96% say "no."

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I normally just quietly give to charity on my own, without fanfare.
That's how its supposed to be done.

If you're giving to a worthy cause, there's no need to smile for the camera and say "Hey, look at me! Look at what a good person I am!"

Old 08-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
wow, I'm glad I fould this thread. I've been thinking the same thing for weeks now. This is more of a "trendy" thing to do than it is about the cause.

Both celebrities and family/friends...NONE of these people would be interested in raising awareness for ALS and donating unless they got to make a funny video and post it on the internet for attention.

If you asked every single person who has participated if they had ever done anything to promote awareness or donate to ALS before the Ice Bucket challenge, I'd say 96% say "no."
Exactly! You are only proving how right they were to start this campaign. They got millions of people who would never have donated to donate, because they got to make a funny video for doing so. That makes the campaign a raging success, yet your post makes it sound like you think the opposite.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,660,544 times
Big picture this trend is raising a ton of money and awareness for a great cause but I agree for many it is just an attention "LOOK AT ME!!!!!" thing. I suppose the ends justify the means in this case though....

Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly! You are only proving how right they were to start this campaign. They got millions of people who would never have donated to donate, because they got to make a funny video for doing so. That makes the campaign a raging success, yet your post makes it sound like you think the opposite.
without a doubt, an excellent campaign that IS raising millions and millions

I guess the point I was trying to make was, just kinda sad that it takes a gimmick like the Ice Bucket Challenge to get so many people on board for a worthy cause.

For all those who have been challenged and participated in the IBC, if those very same people would've just gotten an e-mail, asking to donate to ALS...without any fun challenge attached to it....i wonder how many of them participated....

Oh well. keep raising millions! **** you, ALS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or