U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,988,338 times

Advertisements

I think the "fad" confirms that a good percentage of people are sheep who love to follow the herd. For the minority that have actually donated something for the cause then I commend you greatly. However, as someone who is quite charitable I can assure you that most of these people who have given will never be herd from again. It's a shame that people need FB to "prove" or "impress" others as to how charitable they are. Where were these people to be found in the past for any other cause or charitable organizations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

13,169 posts, read 20,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its just another outlet to let attention whores post it all over their social media pages and get their 15 minutes of fame.

I Wonder if these same people would participate in a 5-mile walk for the cause.
That's exactly how funds have been raised for the past several years. My family has participated in runs for ALS. This is something different, and just silly enough to get a whole lot more attention than seeking out per mile sponsors.

if you don't want to participate, than don't. I just don't get the animosity towards those that do.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM

22,743 posts, read 16,830,942 times
I don't much care what people think about Charlie Sheen but in his video, instead of dumping ice water over himself, he dumped a bucket filled with ten thousand dollars, said that is what this is about, and that's the amount he would be donating. He then challenged others to do the same.

I do think some of the celebrities are doing it just for the publicity, and I think some are doing it AND donating, as well.

Frankly, though, while it started for a good cause, I think people are just doing it for attention now, as the OP said.

Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 AM

5,868 posts, read 5,725,186 times
its like that tv program Jackass where its fun to do crazy things.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,925,427 times
Whatever happened to people just giving to something they believe in without having their face/name plastered all over it? I question what the true motive is. And in my own mind, I don't like the answer I get back. Yes, one could argue it puts a "cause" out there but so does a quick search on one's browser to search countless entities one can donate their money too. Independent thinking by an individual....cool concept!

I also wonder what ever happened to the concept of companies in the game to make a $ to fund their business with their own research dollars/capital. They profit on it, so why shouldn't they fund it? And I submit if this is the way business should be run, I say open the flood gates and from every small business on up, from the 1 man landscaping business to a huge company making widgets, should do the same thing and solicit donations, with no expectations of a return of course, in any creative way they see fit. Or even individuals or families who are just as in "need".

Hey, how about a challange for countless college students who are having a hard time finding a job, have families/kids to support, and can't afford to pay their student loans....or their mortgage.....pony up people!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:33 AM

5,702 posts, read 16,193,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I think that the Ice Bucket Challenge is, in theory, a good idea. I'm sure it has raised a lot of money, and it certainly has raised awareness for ALS. However, I have also noticed that some people are using it for their "15 minutes of fame". Without donating a cent to ALS, some people are posting these "crazy" videos before passing it off to their friends, or someone they think it would be "funny" to dump the ice water on. As I have seen these videos pop up on social media, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that a lot of people who are doing it couldn't give a rats ass about ALS, but just want to post that video so they can rake in the "likes" and show everyone how awesome they are. This was further enhanced when someone nominated me and I didn't do it, not wanting to fall into this game. When I told someone this, they were shocked and said that if I didn't do it 24 hours after I was nominated, I would "have to donate money". Oookay. I said I would rather donate money than get ice water dumped on me when I was pretty sick. Couldn't believe the guy just said that.

It got me thinking about all of the rest of things that people do on social media, just for attention. I have now realized that those long posts on birthdays with pictures on social media that 20 people post per day? Almost all for attention. If these people wanted to, they could personally wish each other happy birthday or send a private message. But instead, for everyone else to see (and "like" of course), they post these things on social media as a sort of publicity stunt.

I don't know if I'm being cynical here. What are y'alls thoughts?
Call me cynical as well because I think for some it is a means to get their few minutes of fame. People that I KNOW never donate to any charity are doing it. It is also these same people that make a ton of posts about themselves to begin with. I became confused on how it all works. I have been told different things.

*You pour a bucket over your head and donate.

*You pour a bucket over your head within 24 hours and you donate 10 dollars. IF you don't within 24 hrs it is a 100.

*You pour a bucket over your head within 24 hours and you don't have to donate, then you nominate 3 others.

So this got me thinking. If the last one is true, sure it is great to have some awareness but if no one is donating, how much does that really help the cause? A family member of my brother n law passed away from ALS. It is truly a horrible disease. I am glad there is awareness but if all you are doing is pouring water over your head on camera and not donating a dime, well..then I guess I don't see the point.

I donated and haven't been challenged. My employer has agreed to match any employees donation to the cause. That seemed like a great path to go.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 5,397,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Call me cynical as well because I think for some it is a means to get their few minutes of fame. People that I KNOW never donate to any charity are doing it. It is also these same people that make a ton of posts about themselves to begin with. I became confused on how it all works. I have been told different things.

*You pour a bucket over your head and donate.

*You pour a bucket over your head within 24 hours and you donate 10 dollars. IF you don't within 24 hrs it is a 100.

*You pour a bucket over your head within 24 hours and you don't have to donate, then you nominate 3 others.

So this got me thinking. If the last one is true, sure it is great to have some awareness but if no one is donating, how much does that really help the cause? A family member of my brother n law passed away from ALS. It is truly a horrible disease. I am glad there is awareness but if all you are doing is pouring water over your head on camera and not donating a dime, well..then I guess I don't see the point.

I donated and haven't been challenged. My employer has agreed to match any employees donation to the cause. That seemed like a great path to go.
It could be a fraction of those participating in the challenge are simply doing it for their few minutes of fame , but the challenge has raised $70.2 million dollars to date with 1.3 million new donors - compared to $2.5 million in the same time frame last year.

Who cares if there are people doing it for narcissistic reasons. Focus on this: $70.2 million. 1.3 million new donors.

Ice Bucket Donations Reach $70.2 Million - The ALS Association

Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM

13,169 posts, read 20,795,870 times
I'm not sure how people who never donate to charity suddenly doing so is a bad thing.

Rest assured naysayers, that colder weather is coming across most of the US in the coming weeks. When it does, the ice bucket challenge will give a gentle sigh, and die off. Until then, deal with it, and realize that a minute on Facebook has resulted in a hell of a lot of money for a foundation that needed it.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 PM

23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
I got officially challenged last night to do the challenge. I'm not donating or dumping water over my head. If the girl has a problem with it I will do my best to give a through explanation why it is against my beliefs.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,482,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It could be a fraction of those participating in the challenge are simply doing it for their few minutes of fame , but the challenge has raised $70.2 million dollars to date with 1.3 million new donors - compared to $2.5 million in the same time frame last year.

Who cares if there are people doing it for narcissistic reasons. Focus on this: $70.2 million. 1.3 million new donors.

Ice Bucket Donations Reach $70.2 Million - The ALS Association
Exactly! It's for a good cause, and I don't give a poop why someone donates. I just care that they donate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or