Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
But people who take the challenge don't donate money so where are the millions of dollars coming from?
Yes they do. You donate $10 if you do it, but it costs you $100 to get out of it. $10 adds up when it's millions of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I think that the Ice Bucket Challenge is, in theory, a good idea. I'm sure it has raised a lot of money, and it certainly has raised awareness for ALS. However, I have also noticed that some people are using it for their "15 minutes of fame". Without donating a cent to ALS, some people are posting these "crazy" videos before passing it off to their friends, or someone they think it would be "funny" to dump the ice water on. As I have seen these videos pop up on social media, it is becoming increasingly clear to me that a lot of people who are doing it couldn't give a rats ass about ALS, but just want to post that video so they can rake in the "likes" and show everyone how awesome they are. This was further enhanced when someone nominated me and I didn't do it, not wanting to fall into this game. When I told someone this, they were shocked and said that if I didn't do it 24 hours after I was nominated, I would "have to donate money". Oookay. I said I would rather donate money than get ice water dumped on me when I was pretty sick. Couldn't believe the guy just said that.

It got me thinking about all of the rest of things that people do on social media, just for attention. I have now realized that those long posts on birthdays with pictures on social media that 20 people post per day? Almost all for attention. If these people wanted to, they could personally wish each other happy birthday or send a private message. But instead, for everyone else to see (and "like" of course), they post these things on social media as a sort of publicity stunt.

I don't know if I'm being cynical here. What are y'alls thoughts?
Took you long enough to realize that? Yes social media is of the attention hos, by the attention hos, for the attention hos.

I actually was trying to at least see the correlation of ice water to ALS.

Ugh, I am so done with viral anything, too.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
But people who take the challenge don't donate money so where are the millions of dollars coming from?
My husband completed the challenge and then donated $25. If I am challenged, I will do the same.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post
Took you long enough to realize that? Yes social media is of the attention hos, by the attention hos, for the attention hos.

This was explained in at least 2 earlier posts.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
For a while there I had no idea people were doing this for a cause, let alone that the cause was ALS awareness. I just thought there were a lot of idiots pouring ice buckets over their heads for the attention, like that planking fad that everyone was doing a while back.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:57 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
I watched at least a dozen idiots take this challenge live over the last week. They do say the required beginning about $10 or $100 but I guarantee you not a single person gave a dime. No way, no how. Heck, I'm not convinced they'd be able to tell me what ALS was if I asked.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
I watched at least a dozen idiots take this challenge live over the last week. They do say the required beginning about $10 or $100 but I guarantee you not a single person gave a dime. No way, no how. Heck, I'm not convinced they'd be able to tell me what ALS was if I asked.
It doesn't matter what your friends do. At last count, $90 million has been donated.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think the ice bucket dump challenge is pretty silly. I have seen many people on facebook doing it and I know of only one that donated $100. She posted a photo of the check made out to ALS.
Many people are having fun with this but I don't know if it has raised much awareness for the disease.
I thought you were supposed to donate if you DIDN'T do the ice bucket challenge. If you do the ice bucket challenge you don't have to donate, or only minimally.

There is a video of a two year old child doing the ice bucket challenge. Not sure why or how he was nominated though. If he didn't go through with it, would he have had $100 to donate?

Old 08-30-2014, 04:51 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaning View Post

I think it was started in correlation to the fire challenge. Like, instead of people setting themselves on fire we will have them pour freezing water over their heads. Notice, no one really does the fire challenge anymore since the ALS challenge. Its old news.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It doesn't matter what your friends do. At last count, $90 million has been donated.
First, they aren't my friends. I very clearly defined them as idiots. Second, the OP was wondering if the ice bucket challenge wasn't about ALS for many. It's right there in the title of the thread.

In my recent experience, it has nothing to do with ALS. Maybe yours is different. The total raised doesn't really matter. How many are doing it for ALS vs those that do it because their friend double dog dared them? We'll never really know that number but again, in my experience, it's high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships