U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 PM

421 posts, read 466,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Wrong. It IS raising awareness. Sorry if the fundraising irks you. Maybe if someone you love or someone in your family member actually had the disease, you would not be calling -any- fund raiser idiotic. There is no cure for this disease. In fact, there is a thread on this disease.

For an insider's view, peruse the thread below and come back and tell us how WRONG you think it is to raise money for this cause.

Watching a person you love die a little at a time........

I have been following this thread linked above and I have nothing but praise for any "idiotic" fund raiser. Sorry you can't follow that simple logic.

The bucket challenge is just a schtick to get more people donating. If that is idiotic to you or if your family members are dumb enough to not call the disease ALS or Lou Gehrig's diesease, maybe the adjective IDIOTIC is being placed on the wrong end of the scenario.
You dont know me, how do you not know I have or have not had a family with ALS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:21 PM

30,550 posts, read 33,370,490 times
It doesn't matter to me if people are doing this to raise money or to make funny videos or just pour buckets of ice on their head for kicks. Money got raised so that's done and it's good. I don't spend a ton of time on social media so the only place I even saw this at all was a blurb on my homepage, and here on CD.

However, don't ask me how I feel about ribbons....

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 PM

16,568 posts, read 14,026,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have been saying the same thing. Have millions really been raised because of this? Putting the ice water over your head means you don't pay, and if you do you have to pay a hundred bucks.

Do you think all the people that don't do it pay the hundred dollars? Do the people making the video know what ALS or Lou Gehrigs Disease is?

I highly doubt it. I don't think it is raising much awareness and I would doubt it is raising much money either.

To me, it feels more like a trend.
Of course it is a trend. But it is absolutely a fun, harmless, trend that has generated a ridiculous amount of money, $15,600,000 compared to $50,000 in the same time period last year.

Ice Bucket Challenge Raises $12 Million - TIME

And if only one in ten people even bother to look up what ALS is, great, tens of thousands of more people with at least minimally more awareness.

And even if the only video that got made was this one….

https://www.facebook.com/njseagrant

at least THOSE kids learned something new about ALS.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Maybe technically, but from what I've seen, most people think it's either do the ice bucket challenge, or you "have to" donate.

Look, like a previous poster said, while I appreciate the thought of the challenge, I would rather donate money for pancreatic cancer, which has a really high death rate as well, than ALS, and I would rather not have ice water dumped on me when I'm sick. I guess I'm just a stick in the mud.
Then don't do it. It is a challenge, either rise to the challenge or don't, but there is nothing forceful about it.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Doesn't ALS come under heading of Muscular Distrophy? Hasn't there been a major telethon every year for the past 30 to 40 years to raise funds for diseases related to MD? I have always assumed that at least a portion of those telethon funds were given to the ALS Foundation. But I haven't watched any of those telethons for many years, so I guess it's possible they are no longer giving to that organization (but I doubt it). Forgive me, but I'm skeptical the ALS Foundation only raised $32K last year.
They have similar groups of symptoms but are not related diseases. ALS is a disease of neurons (specifically a motor neuron disease), MD is a disease of the muscles. They are completely unrelated in cause in terms of genes and actual physiology.

So no, ALS is not a specialized form of MD or under its "heading". I have no idea if MDA (the sponsor of th telethon) donates to ALS, but there are specific charities that target ALS.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Saying "ALS" over and over and over doesn't count as talking about the disease.

And add me to the growing list of people who don't buy the claim that all these millions has been raised. Not when it's being sold as "do the challenge OR donate money" and everyone seems to be choosing the challenge.
Of course the numbers change, it literally is going up every minute. As soon as you report a number it is wrong.

Sure be skeptical, but why would the charity itself LIE about their numbers?

http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press...enge-0818.html

Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Yes, it is a trend. Yes, a subset of people are doing it just because their friends did. Many, some, who knows but another subset is surely not donating a dime. Yes, some are not even going to bother looking up what ALS is.

SO WHAT? $15,600,000 means MANY people are donating, according to the ALSA.org, some 300,000 NEW donors just this past month. And to donate, you had to hit the splash page, and at least some people are going to look around.

I love this challenge, not because it makes anyone do anything, but because the people who complain about it (not necessarily the people who decline the challenge) can have the phrase "cynical a-hole" stamped on their foreheads. You don't have to do it, or even like it, but whining about it makes you a weenie.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Of course it is a trend. But it is absolutely a fun, harmless, trend that has generated a ridiculous amount of money, $15,600,000 compared to $50,000 in the same time period last year.
Just in this thread alone, there's been at least 3 or 4 different variations of these figures, and both figures have varied (including the amount raised last year), so it's not just a matter of updated numbers. This is a big reason why I'm skeptical.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM

13,147 posts, read 20,728,258 times
Quote:
Just in this thread alone, there's been at least 3 or 4 different variations of these figures, and both figures have varied (including the amount raised last year), so it's not just a matter of updated numbers. This is a big reason why I'm skeptical.
It doesn't matter. This is a fund raiser that has contributed a lot of money to a charity that needs it, and it's being done at no cost to the ALS foundation. How can that be a bad thing?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
And the numbers are being reported by the charity. Why would they lie?

As for last years numbers there are a variety of ways to count; all of last year, just the same month long time period, the amount raised at each charity, etc.

There is nothing wrong with skeptical, but disbelieving the charity that announces the amount raised through a fundraiser they had nothing to do with, and having to report number that with the Feds, isn't skeptical, it's stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or