Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 04:55 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So not clicking a video on your facebook is tiring and like dodging people on the road ????
Trying to weed through all the videos to get to the information I'm actually looking for is quite tiring. I don't get one or two a day. I've seen as many as 8 (possibly more) posted in one hour. So when I'm scrolling through a day's worth of posts, yeah, it's a pain in the a**.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Many people had never heard of ALS until the past week or two, so I wouldn't call this crazy challenge a bad thing.
And many of them still don't know what it is. They just dumped a bucket of water on their head. As I mentioned early in the thread, I asked someone who did the challenge (and subsequently did not donate) if they knew what ALS is, and she said that it's the disease that makes you shake like Michael J. Fox.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I know it seems cranky to complain about something that is raising money and awareness for a terrible disease, BUT it seems a lot of people are just enjoying an excuse to post video of themselves on Facebook and missing the entire point. Are the people doing the challenge even donating money? Have they actually done any research into understanding the disease? It seems a lot of people are only into helping others for the "glory" they get of later posting about how much they helped. Hey, cash is cash I suppose, but I think a true good deed is spending time with someone with this disease or volunteering at a hospital or even just taking a few minutes to do some research on it. Lots of people donate money to charity and they don't tell anyone else the details. ALS is a truly hideous disease - I don't really understand how dumping ice water over your head is supposed to relate to ALS - a few seconds of discomfort is no comparison. Kind of like the fad of posting make up free selfies in support of cancer. Like that is AT ALL the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
^^^^^
My concerns exactly.
I have known for decades about ALS, as I had a coach die of it when I was in college.

I have donated for years to their research.

I am happy they are now up to $31.5 million in donations Ice Bucket Challenge Still Going Strong: $31.5 Million in Donations to The ALS Association - The ALS Association

All that being said, I reserve the right to be cranky about the way this is moving across the country, for many of the contrarian reasons others have listed.

- It's similar to those foreboding emails you get that tell you if you don't forward this, some child will die, or you will have bad luck, or you won't get good luck.

- It's false pride -- people believe if they participate THEY are altruistic and anyone who says no is automatically NOT altruistic. Bull. As others have said, you don't know my situation, my finances, my charity work, my health concerns or my absolute dread at the thought of ice cold water on my head. Migraines anyone? Other injuries that I've had would be exacerbated; not to mention if someone did that to me it would be the end of a friendship.

- It's bullying: If you don't do this, we will shame you and film you turning it down and post that on YouTube; and then we will extort $100 from you in front of other people so you will feel you have to donate. Again, glad ALS got that money. I already donated this year. Not interested in being goaded into it again.

- While I'm happy about the money raised, it marginalizes and diminishes the seriousness of this horrible disease. "Oh ALS? You mean the ice bucket disease? Oh yeah. Bummer. I'd hate to feel like I had ice thrown at me all the time."

- This is just a fad. I hope ALS is smart enough to not spend all $31 million this year. They may not make more than their average $2 million in annual donations ever again.

Of interest
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/20/6040435...charity-donate

Last edited by R_Cowgirl; 08-20-2014 at 06:53 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Charity Navigator shows that ALS is a good steward of their donations
Charity Navigator Rating - The ALS Association

One of the reasons I don't need to be challenged with buckets of ice to donate to them

Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
A lot of sheeple are doing it just to fit in like lots of things in life. I am not doing it.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 795 times
I totally agree with you. It is silly. I was telling someone tonight that the ice bucket challenge
is not about ALS anymore, it's just silly.

My father died of the disease in 1991. It changed my life forever. Horrible disease!

Kerry

Old 08-20-2014, 10:36 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Just came across another video that makes this a lot more personal. Such a brave young man. His Ice Bucket Challenge Did Not End Like All The Rest, You Gotta See This

Old 08-20-2014, 10:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
How can the "ice challenge" be silly if it raises awareness & money ???

Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,341,530 times
Ice bucket challenge = Narcissism masquerading as charity.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its charity and awareness, and I think it fits perfect in todays technical age of seeing your friends do something silly , yet meaningful

I never knew what als was before all the ice bucket challenges, now I do and I have contributed because of it..

my god,,, if you don't want to participate then don't, but its for a good cause and awareness..

when other charities see how successful this is, they will come up with their own gimmick....
no one is being bullied.... I think we are just too cynical, because of the participation and success of this thing

ive seen many old friends and classmates do this,,,and it is comical
What he said. To which I would add, if you don't want to be involved in this just bow out gracefully by saying a simple, "I'm not interested in participating. I have my own charitable causes." That's it. I think some of the people who are getting all hot and bothered about this tend to be a little too wrapped in their Facebook status.

I've seen some videos of famous people doing this that were quite amusing and I know some of them (or perhaps the companies they work for) wrote pretty big checks to ASL. Among them Bill Gates, nominated by Mark Zuckerberg, and the Foo Fighters, who recreated the prom scene from the movie Carrie to carry out their dunking. Someone must have been sending money. NBC reported that as of August 18, the ALS Association said via a written statement they have received donations in the amount of $15.6 million. Compare that to their donations from July 29 through August 18, 2013, when $1.8 million was raised. What they were most happy about was that while many donations came from their existing donor population, 307,598 donations were from people who had never given to that organization previously.

Charity Navigator, the well respected charity evaluator, had mixed feelings about the gimmick as a fund-raising tactic. You can read them in the link below.
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge : Charity Navigator
One thing they do not dispute is that the ALS Association is a worthy, honest charity. In fact, it receives four stars, CN's highest rating. That's mainly because it earned close to perfect marks for accountability and transparency and spends 72.4% of the funds it takes in on programs and services delivered, a high percentage for a national charity.
Charity Navigator Rating - The ALS Association

So, lighten up, people. This thing may be silly, but it's raised some significant money that may bring some assistance to the people who suffer from this terrible disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships