Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 06:17 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not sure how people who never donate to charity suddenly doing so is a bad thing.

Rest assured naysayers, that colder weather is coming across most of the US in the coming weeks. When it does, the ice bucket challenge will give a gentle sigh, and die off. Until then, deal with it, and realize that a minute on Facebook has resulted in a hell of a lot of money for a foundation that needed it.
My point is they don't. My brother, sister, SIL, BIL, and 4 co-workers of my husband have all done the ice bucket challenge. NONE of them have donated. Not a dime. When my husband asked his co-workers if they donated anything he was told, "You don't have to if you do the ice bucket challenge." Another said, "I am not donating, they got enough money already." So this kind of stuff brings out those that are cynical of the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times
For some people it is just making "cool" videos and being social by belonging into some group what is "in"

Old 08-26-2014, 06:50 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
My point is they don't.
I'm sure that many don't donate. However, a large portion have donated as evidenced by the $70.2 million that has been raised compared to $2.5 million in the same time period last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
When my husband asked his co-workers if they donated anything he was told, "You don't have to if you do the ice bucket challenge." Another said, "I am not donating, they got enough money already." So this kind of stuff brings out those that are cynical of the idea.
Sure it does. But it's also brought in 1.3 million new donors.

Don't worry, folks. This challenge will eventually run it's course.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 AM

50,762 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Whatever happened to people just giving to something they believe in without having their face/name plastered all over it? I question what the true motive is. And in my own mind, I don't like the answer I get back. Yes, one could argue it puts a "cause" out there but so does a quick search on one's browser to search countless entities one can donate their money too. Independent thinking by an individual....cool concept!

I also wonder what ever happened to the concept of companies in the game to make a $ to fund their business with their own research dollars/capital. They profit on it, so why shouldn't they fund it? And I submit if this is the way business should be run, I say open the flood gates and from every small business on up, from the 1 man landscaping business to a huge company making widgets, should do the same thing and solicit donations, with no expectations of a return of course, in any creative way they see fit. Or even individuals or families who are just as in "need".

Hey, how about a challange for countless college students who are having a hard time finding a job, have families/kids to support, and can't afford to pay their student loans....or their mortgage.....pony up people!
You are just as capable of starting a challenge for those people as anyone else. Alex's Lemonade Stand was started by a little girl with cancer and now it's a huge charity. She didn't come on a forum and bi*** about "how come there's no charity for _____" she just started one. Smart kid and a great loss to the world.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You are just as capable of starting a challenge for those people as anyone else.
Sure I could. But I would choose not to.

I think you missed the point of my post. As I stated in my original post:

"Whatever happened to people just giving to something they believe in without having their face/name plastered all over it? I question what the true motive is. And in my own mind, I don't like the answer I get back. Yes, one could argue it puts a "cause" out there but so does a quick search on one's browser to search countless entities one can donate their money too. Independent thinking by an individual....cool concept!"

And the bigger picture for entities that I feel should be funding their own work if they are to profit from it instead of going to people:

"I also wonder what ever happened to the concept of companies in the game to make a $ to fund their business with their own research dollars/capital. They profit on it, so why shouldn't they fund it?"

Old 08-26-2014, 12:45 PM

340 posts, read 645,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Don't worry, folks. This challenge will eventually run it's course.
Eventually. But not before folks die or are seriously injured. Ice Bucket FAIL videos on YouTube show some pretty stupid stunts, and a lot of those folks are lucky they didn't suffer head or neck injuries.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Eventually. But not before folks die or are seriously injured. Ice Bucket FAIL videos on YouTube show some pretty stupid stunts, and a lot of those folks are lucky they didn't suffer head or neck injuries.
yep...

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/scottish-...761970734.html

Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Sure I could. But I would choose not to.

I think you missed the point of my post. As I stated in my original post:

"Whatever happened to people just giving to something they believe in without having their face/name plastered all over it? I question what the true motive is. And in my own mind, I don't like the answer I get back. Yes, one could argue it puts a "cause" out there but so does a quick search on one's browser to search countless entities one can donate their money too. Independent thinking by an individual....cool concept!"

And the bigger picture for entities that I feel should be funding their own work if they are to profit from it instead of going to people:

"I also wonder what ever happened to the concept of companies in the game to make a $ to fund their business with their own research dollars/capital. They profit on it, so why shouldn't they fund it?"
People do that every single minute of every single day. But why would you hear about it? This is just a stunt that happened to catch social media fire and resulted in many more donations, but why would you conclude that people no longer give just for the sake of giving because they also happen to take part in a fun charity event? Why must they be mutually exclusive? How do you know the people participating in this don't also donate to charity without fanfare? How on earth would you even know if they did? Why assume the worst about people when it's just as much a guess as assuming the best about them?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would you conclude that people no longer give just for the sake of giving because they also happen to take part in a fun charity event? Why must they be mutually exclusive? How do you know the people participating in this don't also donate to charity without fanfare? How on earth would you even know if they did? Why assume the worst about people when it's just as much a guess as assuming the best about them?

You're again taking the point I'm trying to make way out of context or not understanding what I'm referring too here.

Of course people give just to give without having their name plastered on something and without fanfare....and that's great! Never did I refer/imply everyone gives and wants their name, picture, press, etc. to show that they handed over $ for a cause.

But on the other hand, it doesn't take much effort to notice that there is a sizable amount of people who seem to feel the need to have their name on something after they give to show that they donated to a cause...the "xyz" wing in a building.....in a pamphlet for something in the arts that show how much people gave and their name, etc. Or take a look on youtube and see how this ice thing is turning into a "look at me" type show with what some are posting out there. It's sad in my book. I can go on and on and on. That's what I'm referring to and I don't understand that. I thought giving was to give without having to be acknowledged by peers. I trust you agree with this? For me, I love when I hear an anonymous donor who doesn't want their name out there gives this/that to something/somebody. Now that's classy, and in the true spirit of giving. Leaving the ego at the door is a good thing at times.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
You're again taking the point I'm trying to make way out of context or not understanding what I'm referring too here.

Of course people give just to give without having their name plastered on something and without fanfare....and that's great! Never did I refer/imply everyone gives and wants their name, picture, press, etc. to show that they handed over $ for a cause.

But on the other hand, it doesn't take much effort to notice that there is a sizable amount of people who seem to feel the need to have their name on something after they give to show that they donated to a cause...the "xyz" wing in a building.....in a pamphlet for something in the arts that show how much people gave and their name, etc. Or take a look on youtube and see how this ice thing is turning into a "look at me" type show with what some are posting out there. It's sad in my book. I can go on and on and on. That's what I'm referring to and I don't understand that. I thought giving was to give without having to be acknowledged by peers. I trust you agree with this? For me, I love when I hear an anonymous donor who doesn't want their name out there gives this/that to something/somebody. Now that's classy, and in the true spirit of giving. Leaving the ego at the door is a good thing at times.
I don't care if they want acknowledgement, as long as they donate. It doesn't make me sad at all, millions and millions have been raised for a worthy charity. I just don't get what there is to be sad about.

Frankly XYZ name on a building because someone donated doesn't bother me. Why shouldn't a wing on a hospital be named after a person who donated 100 million to build it? It's human nature to want to leave a legacy, no matter how small. Why is it okay for big corporations to re-name everything due to money? The Coca Cola Play of the Game, the Tweeter Center for the Arts, one day soon surely it'll be the McDonald's Olympics and the Pepsi Walk for the Cure. And no one will care. But don't let Suzy who gave $20 to a charity get any acknowledgement for it, that would be selfish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships