Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:35 PM

55 posts, read 160,702 times

Advertisements

If I really am clingy and obsessive? What am I supposed to do? Just stop being friends with him? Just "stop being clingy?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCode View Post
If I really am clingy and obsessive? What am I supposed to do? Just stop being friends with him? Just "stop being clingy?"
Yes to the bolded.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 PM

How? That's that easy to do. What steps do I need to take?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
For starters, dial way back on initiating texts, chats, etc., with him. Stop being the sole initiator/inviter of in-person visits. Stop asking him if he's ok with what you're doing; quit seeking his approval.
Don't ask his permission to contact him via FB.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Then it's likely he won't contact me at all. I know many of his other friends have to invite him to hang out and have to talk to him first because he spreads himself so thin and is friends with SO many other people. He's incredibly popular, so I'm sure he only talks to people if they talk to him first.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
nobody knows this friend like you do,,,if what you have going,,,,you like,,,then keep doing it,,

because you are good friends,,and not more,,,,the head games shouldn't be here,,,no need to back off or away

if you are wanting more,,then maybe you do want more,,

but take a few deep breathes,,and send him over a hi and smile- everyone can use a good friend..

good friends,,,can be just that ,,,friends,,,don't worry about smothering him or saying the wrong thing,,,,
that's why good friends are so special,,,no pressure!!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
Quote:
Then it's likely he won't contact me at all. I know many of his other friends have to invite him to hang out and have to talk to him first because he spreads himself so thin and is friends with SO many other people. He's incredibly popular, so I'm sure he only talks to people if they talk to him first.
Good friends will reach out and make time for you, no matter how popular they are. Friendship is a reciprocal relationship. If you cease reaching out and he doesn't reach back, it is not friendship.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:24 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
Op,

You are at the point of sounding creepy and obsessive. Don't this man have a wife, children of his own that he needs to devote his time to them? The amount of time you demand out of him is not normal. Too possessive, too obsessive to be a healthy friendship.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I don't think it's weird. I like having friends of various ages. I actually think it's weird when grown adults ONLY hang out with people who are close in age. I think they are missing out.
I think it's the opposite, younger folks need to have older friends. Because grown adults do not need young friends. Younger folks may have newer ideas or thinking but in the end it's all about priorities.

Do I enjoy talking to younger people? Sure but not always because I can pick out flaws in their beliefs and thinking patterns right away. It makes it difficult to retain friendships.

Have I learned anything from younger folks today? No, not really. I've seen it all and what young adults do today is just a cycle, nothing has changed that much except kids grow at an accelerated pace and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Bigger bodies but still fragile young undeveloped mind, dangerous combo.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
OP, I tried to scan your posts to see if you said he was married or not. I'll be honest, if I was his wife, I wouldn't want him being friends with you. Now, if he was in his 80s & had a wife & you were like a granddaughter of theirs who can help around the house or go grocery shopping for them sometimes, that would be more acceptable to me. However, with him still being in his 50s, he probably loves that a MUCH younger woman in her 20s is giving him the time of day. If you were holding hands out in public, it would look like the typical May-December relationship with the typical young gal & much older man.

I don't think he thinks of you like a daughter. The feelings he has (whether he's ever told you or not) seem more romantic/sexual. Well, as long as he's not married, I guess it's OK. If he's not married, would you actually want to be in a romantic relationship with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships