Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

Thankfully, IMO, that is an antiquated notion that is dying out. Women have more choices open to them and rights than ever before. With those rights come more responsibility, and one of those responsibilities is allowing for equal parenting. There is nothing wrong with stay at home dads, and I hope more fathers get the choice of whether to stay home and parent their children full time or work full time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My question is "why?" I didn't ask you to restate your opinion.

If a woman can stay home while a man works, WHY can't a man stay home while a woman works? WHY?
If you're a man, it's your responsibility to provide for your family. It sends a bad massage to the children(especially the young boys) that it is okay for a man not to provide for his family if he can help it but to purposely choose to be a stay-at-home dad makes you a weak man in my opinion. This doesn't apply to gay and lesbian married couples for obvious reasons. If your a heterosexual married couple, you as a man should feel obligated to provide for your family financial. I can understand if the husband is physically or mentally disabled to work or just can't find a job(which isn't uncommon in this economy). In general, of course the woman can work if she chooses to, assuming the husband is work eligible.

It doesn't surprise me that American family structure has fallen for the worst in this nation. That's why when immigrants come to the US, most of them always say that Americans don't have strong family ties/values and that is so true. It's a shame that we in society today even have to debate common sense logic like this. It's really sad and I really feel bad for the future generations. They will be lost if thing don't change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post,

at recent family gatherings, the young ladies were praised for finishing college and choosing their own jobs/carreers, you go back 40 yrs ago you would hear some very harsh words towards young ladies- how they need to land a good man, or you better stop eating that ice cream,,it'll make you fat and you wont be able to attract a decent guy
Yeah, to heck with the traditional family. It's never about what is best, just about what *I* want. Me me me me me. LOL Pity the fool.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yeah, to heck with the traditional family. It's never about what is best, just about what *I* want. Me me me me me. LOL Pity the fool.

20yrsinBranson
You wonder why American family culture and values have fallen so fast in this country. I've traveled to different countries and have seen how strong family ties still are in a lot of those cultures and I realize how much it's lacking in the United States. The US doesn't put a strong emphasis on building strong families and this country is suffering as a result of it. You may not all agree but anyone who has actually traveled around the world will know this does exist.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If you're a man, it's your responsibility to provide for your family. It sends a bad massage to the children(especially the young boys) that it is okay for a man not to provide for his family if he can help it but to purposely choose to be a stay-at-home dad makes you a weak man in my opinion. This doesn't apply to gay and lesbian married couples for obvious reasons. If your a heterosexual married couple, you as a man should feel obligated to provide for your family financial. I can understand if the husband is physically or mentally disabled to work or just can't find a job(which isn't uncommon in this economy). In general, of course the woman can work if she chooses to, assuming the husband is work eligible.

It doesn't surprise me that American family structure has fallen for the worst in this nation. That's why when immigrants come to the US, most of them always say that Americans don't have strong family ties/values and that is so true. It's a shame that we in society today even have to debate common sense logic like this. It's really sad and I really feel bad for the future generations. They will be lost if thing don't change.
In other words, all opinion, no logic.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
In other words, all opinion, no logic.
Both logic and common sense, which is something this society is lacking a lot of.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:54 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Both logic and common sense.
No logic. No common sense. Just an antiquated opinion.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
You wonder why American family culture and values have fallen so fast in this country. I've traveled to different countries and have seen how strong family ties still are in a lot of those cultures and I realize how much it's lacking in the United States. The US doesn't put a strong emphasis on building strong families and this country is suffering as a result of it. You may not all agree but anyone who has actually traveled around the world will know this does exist.
Hey, a challenge. Write down all the countries that you say have strong family values. After that, ask yourself would most Americans want to live there? America may not be awesome but I like that families can choose what is right for them, in terms of who works.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
No logic. No common sense. Just an antiquated opinion.
You can't even refute anything that I said in that statement. American family ties/values are weak in this country compared to many other nations. Look how high divorce rates are in this country. Just look how fragmented the Black American family is. All of these children bring born out of wedlock has helped destroy the black community when it comes to strong family values. You can ignore the truth is you want to but it will still be there. I could name more examples as all of these factors contribute to the breakdown of strong family culture in this country. It's not like I made any of this stuff up. They are very real issues and they will exist whether I talk about them or not.

CNN's Don Lemon says more than 72 percent of African-American births are out of wedlock | PolitiFact

Family Breakdown Behind America's Struggles

Divorced Women In America On The Rise, According To New Research

Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Hey, a challenge. Write down all the countries that you say have strong family values. After that, ask yourself would most Americans want to live there? America may not be awesome but I like that families can choose what is right for them, in terms of who works.
Typical American ego and entitlement. "This is America, who cares what the rest of the world is doing". Sound familiar to you?

I'm so glad I've traveled to different countries and have seen different perspectives on societies and I'm also glad I don't have a close minded viewpoint.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Typical American ego and entitlement. "This is America, who cares what the rest of the world is doing". Sound familiar to you?

I'm so glad I've traveled to different countries and have seen different perspectives on societies and I'm also glad I don't have a close minded viewpoint.
What I bolded, so laughable and ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships