U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 11:55 AM

3,695 posts, read 4,073,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Statistical significance is not semantics. The fact that you think it is, is another reason you should not be talking about science.

Let me translate that for you. "Since I cannot prove my point with biology, or facts, I will just restate it.".
Here is the CORRECT statement, INDIVIDUALS DIFFER. You are welcome.

LOL! I am a scientist, with a graduate degree in biology specializing in evolution and ecology. My research is about individuality and groups abilities to adapt to different variables.

This isn't about equality, and certainly not "asexuality". that is a fib you made up. It is about the differences, on the individual level. The possible difference (aka variability) between one individual to the next, is bigger than the average differences between the groups; male vs female. It isn't political, it is BIOLOGICAL FACT.
OK, let me just say I've read the entire thread and you REALLY seem to be hung up on the one poster's word "spoil". You seemed to have not read any of her other posts where she explains her husband's job, her role, their life together. You can't seem to break away from one adult's "whole mission in life"...yada, yada.

I think you're too wrapped up in your definition of what worth someone brings to society that you've completely lost all credibility. And who cares about all your degrees? You clearly think you bring much to the table of life and therefore, you're right. That's some faulty logic there.

It's ok to take care of a child or an elderly parent, but in your mind, it's not ok to take care of another adult (spouse). Because that poster said she spoils her husband (and that's all she said), you have taken it to mean that is all she does in life. She doesn't owe you the details of her life to justify any of it...although she has clarified quite a bit and you still refuse to acknowledge it.

I also take issue with the fact that you've held up parents to be higher in society than non parents. It's in your language and attitude...like raising children is awesome but if you don't have kids, you're somehow not contributing anything...oh, unless you volunteer, or some other thing you've held up to be important.

Who in the world made you an authority on what makes a person valuable to society? We all understand that your opinion is your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. But you come off as a snobby elitist who only knows "valuable" people. I can only guess what you'd think of my husband, who doesn't work and only spoils me. BTW, to spoil someone as it's written here really means that the spouse truly loves their spouse and wants to make their life better by doing the little things...which count, in case you're wondering.

You have no idea what went into our decision. You have no idea what kind of person he is. You have no idea what he does to contribute, but by your definition, which you've stated ad nauseum, is that it's a sad little life that you find pitiful. Your view is so narrow, in FACT, that you can't see just how narrow it is.

I find THAT to be sad...but oh well, thank God I don't have to deal with you and your two degrees in real life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,421,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburnett View Post
It teaches girls growing up to be lazy and pick up bad habits. You clearly don't understand what a mother's influence can have on a daughter. Boys and girls especially crave motherly role models, if they can't find it in the home than they will find it somewhere else. Sometimes it can turn out really bad because typically in the low income areas, the older drug dealers fill the void. That's why a lot of these young people can easily go the wrong direction in life. You may not think it's important, but mothers do need to set a good example for their kids to follow.
I never said mothers don't have in influence on their children. My statement was more specifically focused on the father's influence on the children. I know you're trying to be condescending.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM

8,481 posts, read 10,421,699 times
Quote:
No that is your ignorance showing. ALL male mammals (you are a mammal are you not?) started out female. ALL of them.

Are you freaking serious? The difference in the X and Y chromosome? Ok explain how having a y chromosome makes men more suited to work. Please, try very hard not to use circular logic.

From your first source "It is worth noting here that there are NO or STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT differences between the sexes in math, science, and verbal abilities. "

Additionally, not one of your sources give a trait that is unique to all men or one unique to all women. This includes genitals. You really shouldn't be talking about science when you lack the basics. For example, there is no single definition of male or female. There are genetic male and female, male and female based on genitalia, etc but it is not uncommon for those to match. Meaning it is entirely possible to be genetically male and physically female. Get it yet?
If you and some of the other posters want to ignore the facts, then go right ahead. There are clearly biological differences between men and women, whether or not you want to accept it is your business.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:17 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,563,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I ask my wife not to work because it is counter-productive from a financial and welfare of our children.

Taxes punish dual income earners until you make a lot or your job is giving you other benefits and it is manageable otherwise there's no point having dual income families that requires 100% of your effort on the job. Your children will suffer from the lacking of parenting if all you do is send them to daycare until they grow up. Sadly a lot of Americans do that and their children grow up only thinking that you are an ATM machine.
And they don't punish single income earners? I'm sorry but the ability too successfully raise children has less to do whether both parents work or not and more to do with what kind of parents they are in the first place. Despite what you may think, decent successful people have come from two income households.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:20 PM

22,436 posts, read 23,993,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never said mothers don't have in influence on their children. My statement was more specifically focused on the father's influence on the children. I know you're trying to be condescending.
The ironic thing is that it's only been very recently in history that fathers have been expected to have a role in child-rearing at all. For much of history the father was a distant figure who went to work and was an authority figure, but had very little input in the day-to-day lives of his children. Chilren were effectively raised and taught almost entirely by women. It's really only recently, with the advent of working mothers, that fathers get to be a real, active role model in their children's upbringing.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,969,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If you and some of the other posters want to ignore the facts, then go right ahead. There are clearly biological differences between men and women, whether or not you want to accept it is your business.
You aren't even the one who gave bio differences as a reason.

None of the bio differences logically leads to the conclusion that men have to work and women have the option not to.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,563,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
In this day and age it still seems like women can get away with being unemployed or working very part-time DESPITE not having children or being married.
It's funny how hostile this thread has become when people forget that the OP was not addressing wives and mothers but young single able-bodied women. That's what this thread is addressing.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM

2,693 posts, read 4,649,261 times
Quote:
I was a stay at home mom, I know exactly what it entails. And taking care of kids is so far beyond "running a house" as to be laughable. Running a house is not a full time job unless you are bad at it.
Very true! Before we had our baby last year, my wife and I both worked full time, and she didn't like doing house work so I did the house cleaning, laundry, and dishes, basically "running the house" while she usually was the one who made dinner. None of that took very long- we had an immaculate looking house and that was all handled with just the regular house cleaning once per week on a Sunday afternoon or after I got home from work on Fridays (before the wife got home, since she worked a bit later on Fridays), and a little tidying up and dish washing during the week on the evenings. Running a house (not counting kids) is easy and takes VERY little time.

Now I will say that it's different when a baby comes into the picture- my wife is a stay at home mom for now and is busy most of the day every day, with all the things relating to watching and caring for the child. I can totally understand women being home with a kid and claiming to be busy, because they truly are, and I greatly respect what my wife does, it is honorable, hard work.

But back to the original topic, if we did not have a kid, I would definitely not give my wife a pass if she didn't want to work- we are both expected to contribute to our house hold, and there would be absolutely no reason to be staying at home/not working if there wasn't a kid to be taking care of.

Last edited by jm31828; 08-21-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 03:30 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,073,989 times
What if they lived on a farm? There are a lot of what ifs that you're not accounting for...

But to the OP, women do not usually get a pass...at least, not in my experience.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:57 PM

44 posts, read 43,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I do not have a job or children, and I am not "living off someone." I am not "getting away with something."

My job is spoiling my husband and making sure he is happy, and in return, he does the same for me. When he comes home from work, everything is done and has no added stress or screaming children to deal with.

Like most females, post 1960's I was raised being taught that I must attend college (which I did), work full time, and have children.

Fortunately I was smart enough to see how miserable many women and families became during this post-feminism era. The breakdown of the US family, latch key children, overworked and over stressed moms trying to juggle a career, kids, the debt-trap, and marriage...sorry, but there are not enough hours in the day. Everyone I know who got themselves into this mess complains about how tired and stressed they are all the time.

I call it misery and slavery.
You're a very smart lady.

I am still young enough, but had feminism drummed into my head at an early age.
Ironically, my grandmother and mother were both rich so they didnt have to worry about making money.

They worked for fun.

Instead I worked a lot from early age and was ruined when housing/everything went bad in '08.

I should've been looking for a good man. Instead I've ended up with men who expect me to not only take care of myself but take care of the houseand contribute a lot of money.

It's made me weary and takes away with time I would otherwise spend on being a sexier, livlier woman.

Again, you are wise in your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or