Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times

Advertisements

I ask my wife not to work because it is counter-productive from a financial and welfare of our children.

Taxes punish dual income earners until you make a lot or your job is giving you other benefits and it is manageable otherwise there's no point having dual income families that requires 100% of your effort on the job. Your children will suffer from the lacking of parenting if all you do is send them to daycare until they grow up. Sadly a lot of Americans do that and their children grow up only thinking that you are an ATM machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I ask my wife not to work because it is counter-productive from a financial and welfare of our children.

Taxes punish dual income earners until you make a lot or your job is giving you other benefits and it is manageable otherwise there's no point having dual income families that requires 100% of your effort on the job. Your children will suffer from the lacking of parenting if all you do is send them to daycare until they grow up. Sadly a lot of Americans do that and their children grow up only thinking that you are an ATM machine.

good post

many people agree,,

the best thing a parent can give a kid, is confidence, then they can take on any challenge and have better judgement

ive also seen it go the other way..... some home schooled kids are sheltered, and are very immature/socially awkward when they enter the workforce- very thin skinned

Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,200,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Typical American ego and entitlement. "This is America, who cares what the rest of the world is doing". Sound familiar to you?

I'm so glad I've traveled to different countries and have seen different perspectives on societies and I'm also glad I don't have a close minded viewpoint.
And what are these other countries where you see such strong family values? Why don't you just choose to live their instead of worrying about how others live their lives?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times
Quote:
Well there are transsexuals but that's an entirely different subject.
No that is your ignorance showing. ALL male mammals (you are a mammal are you not?) started out female. ALL of them.Are you freaking serious? The difference in the X and Y chromosome? Ok explain how having a y chromosome makes men more suited to work. Please, try very hard not to use circular logic.

From your first source "It is worth noting here that there are NO or STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT differences between the sexes in math, science, and verbal abilities. "

Additionally, not one of your sources give a trait that is unique to all men or one unique to all women. This includes genitals. You really shouldn't be talking about science when you lack the basics. For example, there is no single definition of male or female. There are genetic male and female, male and female based on genitalia, etc but it is not uncommon for those to match. Meaning it is entirely possible to be genetically male and physically female. Get it yet?

Old 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
I understand you have an opinion, but, in what way, if any, does this affect you that it upsets you so much? I don't recall her saying that her job was to be spoiled, though. I do recall her saying that her job was to "spoil" her husband.

I spent much of my life working and raising children, many of those years as a single mother. I can attest to the fact that running my household and "spoiling" my husband can be just as exhausting. Just because I don't have an outside job doesn't mean that I'm a worthless member of society.
I don't think there are worthless members of society, I do think it isn't acceptable if people are not doing anything to contribute back to society and instead focus their lives on spoiling themselves, their husbands, their homes. If you choose not to give back in anyway besides "spoiling" an adult, I think that is sad, selfish and wasteful. Same goes for the woman I quoted initially. But luckily I think people who choose to not give back to their community and society are few and far between. Maybe I am just lucky (but I doubt it) but the people I know, even those who do not work for a paycheck outside the home, personally give back. Maybe it is the norm where you live, but I don't have to respect it. Likewise you don't have to respect my opinion.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It teaches boys growing up to be lazy and pick up bad habits. You clearly don't understand what a father's influence can have on a son. Girls and boys especially crave fatherly role models, if they can't find it in the home than they will find it somewhere else. Sometimes it can turn out really bad because typically in the low income areas, the older drug dealers feel the void. That's why a lot of these young people can easily go the wrong direction in life. You may not think it's important, but fathers do need to set a good example for their kids to follow.
All of the above is your OPINION, and nothing more. It is not science, it is not fact, and it is not remotely related to women working.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:20 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,338,568 times
Quote:
It teaches boys growing up to be lazy and pick up bad habits. You clearly don't understand what a father's influence can have on a son. Girls and boys especially crave fatherly role models, if they can't find it in the home than they will find it somewhere else. Sometimes it can turn out really bad because typically in the low income areas, the older drug dealers feel the void. That's why a lot of these young people can easily go the wrong direction in life. You may not think it's important, but fathers do need to set a good example for their kids to follow.
It teaches girls growing up to be lazy and pick up bad habits. You clearly don't understand what a mother's influence can have on a daughter. Boys and girls especially crave motherly role models, if they can't find it in the home than they will find it somewhere else. Sometimes it can turn out really bad because typically in the low income areas, the older drug dealers fill the void. That's why a lot of these young people can easily go the wrong direction in life. You may not think it's important, but mothers do need to set a good example for their kids to follow.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
It's not about debate semantics.
Statistical significance is not semantics. The fact that you think it is, is another reason you should not be talking about science.

Quote:
It is a biological fact that men and women differ. No amount of magical thinking will make it otherwise.
Let me translate that for you. "Since I cannot prove my point with biology, or facts, I will just restate it.".

Here is the CORRECT statement, INDIVIDUALS DIFFER. You are welcome.

Quote:
Some people choose to force some sort of politically correct idealism where everyone should be 100% equal (as in, the same) and asexual in all ways, instead of recognizing that differences between the sexes can be celebrated and coexist harmoniously.
LOL! I am a scientist, with a graduate degree in biology specializing in evolution and ecology. My research is about individuality and groups abilities to adapt to different variables.

This isn't about equality, and certainly not "asexuality". that is a fib you made up. It is about the differences, on the individual level. The possible difference (aka variability) between one individual to the next, is bigger than the average differences between the groups; male vs female. It isn't political, it is BIOLOGICAL FACT.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Hmmm so you mean aside from estrogen, progesterone, prolactin, and all the other hormones and biological processes resulting in only the woman having periods, being able to get pregnant, give birth and breastfeed?? Are there any more neon signs from mother nature screaming 'this is the woman's job!'?
Ah, if that were true, than logically, the reverse would be false. That means you think a woman that can't brestfeed isn't a woman. Or one that can't have children. Or one that doesn't get her period. Nice.

Quote:
And of course the biological clock is in place because unlike a man, a woman only has a limited time to bear kids. Biological responses, such as the 'baby smell' triggering a dopamine response occur in women. Oxytocin, the 'love hormone', is released during pregnancy and after birth in large doses - and it gets released in men too, but to a much much lesser degree, which again makes sense as it is the woman going through all the biological and hormonal changes.
Again, all of those thing don't happen in all women. And if you give those chemicals to men, they can have the exact same reaction, including btw, producing MILK. Men with breast cancer can spontanouesly lactate. Based on your definition they are now women. Interesting.

What you are talking about is hormones, all people produce those hormones, women produce androgens (testosterone) and men have "female" hormones. It is the balance of those hormones that produce those characteristics. But wait, the normal "balance" of those hormones will vary more between individuals within the groups than between. Meaning there are plenty of women who have more testosterone than the average man and vice versa. Same with oxytocin, it is produced in men as well.

But you are fixated on the average, which is meaningless without including the standard deviation or range . If they overlap between the groups, they are statistically the same (assuming same sample size). And for the vast majority of hormones, they will. The range of all of those traits overlap. That is an example of a biological fact.

Additionally, until you can show us which differences are only found in women and are also found in all women. You cannot make any claim that says "men and women are different" and be correct. SOME men are different than SOME women. Which is true of any group. So what?

Quote:
Now, of course there are exceptions! There always are! There are women who don't want kids and men who do, there are women firefighters and men who make excellent preschool teachers. But just because these are out there doesn't make them typical or the rule, and doesn't exclude a biological basis behind the differences!
I will say it again, slowly. It isn't about exceptions, it is about variability. If there are more differences between individuals than between the median of the group, than it isn't the group that determines the differences.

Just like, just because some people are homosexual and some are transgender doesn't dismiss the fact that biologically the majority of people are wired to be heterosexual and live in their own gender.

[quoteThe vast majority of men don't have a strong desire to become stay at home caregivers, and neither do some women but I don't think you can argue that many more women have that desire than men. [/quote]

Wild leap from biology to sociology. We have no idea how many men want to stay home to be caregivers because they are not socialized to think it is even an option. In this society, the majority of stay at home fathers have to buck their gender to stay home. That used to be true for women to be scientists or engineers. But now that we have a generation of women raised to think they can do those jobs, they are doing them in record numbers. There are now more women graduating with science degrees than men. That is a fact, and supports the notion that these choices are PRIMARILY sociological NOT HORMONAL.

Quote:
Just as many more men express the desire to be firefighters and soldiers than women - even though there ARE women in these professions of course. I've known hard-core career women who swore up and down they would never stay home - and then couldn't face leaving their baby when it came down to it. I don't know any men who experienced that - the ones who chose stayed home typically did it because of practical considerations such as the wife's higher career potential. But a majority of men would shudder at the perspective at staying home to change diapers and do gymboree classes day in and day out - regardless of whether there's any 'social stigma' attached to it or not.
It is one of the last great bastions of sexism, the way we raise our boys. We condition them not to cry, but to respond with aggression. We still teach them they cannot be nurses or stay at home parents. We still tell then there are colors they can't wear. As a society we still force men in to roles to a degree we do not force women. So until we stop doing that, you cannot remotely claim it is BIOLOGY preventing men from choosing to stay home with their children, because it is clearly society.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No that is your ignorance showing. ALL male mammals (you are a mammal are you not?) started out female. ALL of them.

Are you freaking serious? The difference in the X and Y chromosome? Ok explain how having a y chromosome makes men more suited to work. Please, try very hard not to use circular logic.

From your first source "It is worth noting here that there are NO or STATISTICALLY INSIGNIFICANT differences between the sexes in math, science, and verbal abilities. "

Additionally, not one of your sources give a trait that is unique to all men or one unique to all women. This includes genitals. You really shouldn't be talking about science when you lack the basics. For example, there is no single definition of male or female. There are genetic male and female, male and female based on genitalia, etc but it is not uncommon for those to match. Meaning it is entirely possible to be genetically male and physically female. Get it yet?
id like to add, their is a huge scientific difference in gender communications,,,
you (a man) ever win an argument with a woman with severe pms???

never in the history of the human race has this happened, and women with pms have an intrinsic ability to remember every word a man has spoken in the past 6 months
a guy cannot on his best day, come even close to winning an argument with a woman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships