U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 01:15 PM

11,673 posts, read 7,225,277 times

Advertisements

I simply saw this OP as someone who has never spent significant time away from home turf and the family, and is seriously considering it for good reasons but who has that insecure feeling of "is this OK?" I have known many people who never ventured away from the town where they were born and grew up, and can't imagine uprooting and going elsewhere...and I can't imagine living like that! I know people who have never even seen the ocean. Or a proper mountain. Etc. Can't imagine it. Different strokes though.

The worry about whether the kid will have relationships with family...I get it. But really, kids can have great relationships with family that they only see once in a while. If you're stable and secure enough (financially and perhaps in other ways) that you don't need the safety net, I think there is nothing wrong with striking out for new horizons.

For whatever it's worth (nothing really) though... while I've really valued the life experience of living in a variety of places, I only consider the state where I "grew up" (infancy through 17 yrs old) as "home." I long to return. Always have. Maybe that's human nature or something. The grass is greener and all of that...?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 5,261,386 times
Read a post earlier where the gist of it was we should all make decisions where we enthusiastically conclude "hell yeah!" There will always be lingering doubts and concerns but that's just human nature. Trust your gut and do what's best for your family.

We relocated five states away from all of our family and friends with school age children seven years back. It wasn't easy but we were committed and in it together and it worked out. One of the ancillary benefits was being removed from that horrible yoke of family expectations where plans are made and you're automatically expected to comply. I do miss some of the events a little bit but in the aggregate our lives are much, much better.

Good luck (and buy warm clothes, it gets brrrr-cold in New England).

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM

40,173 posts, read 15,136,785 times
Thread closed at OP's request.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or