U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,477,377 times

Advertisements

"What to do about neighbor sex offender "

You do nothing "about" him!
He did his time, and he is registered.

Move if he bothers you that much... but good luck finding a neighborhood that does not have an offender. They ARE everywhere, you know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:03 PM

17,271 posts, read 21,115,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
No way! I like the fact that you can see who the pervs are before you move into an area. Sure the data changes with people moving and all but its better than nothing imo.

To be honest I couldn't care less if a convicted pedo cant get a job or find a place to live. Shouldnt have done the crime!
Want to put some sparkle into the eyes of Americans? Start a new witch-hunt!

This country is completely addicted to witch-hunts, all dating back to the Witch-hunt in Salem, MA! And when one witch-hunt loses participants, they go and start up another!

That long, protracted senseless Communist witch-hunt of the 40's/50's led by McCarthy that destroyed so many lives! And? Did they ever find any?

More modern-day witch-hunts: deadbeat Dad's, tobacco-related witch-hunts, drunk drivers, sex offenders, and now, the more recent, which will grow and grow and grow, obesity being their targets!

As to the individual who wrote this brilliant post: What we hate the most in others, we see so much of in ourselves! I certainly wouldn't want you in my neighborhood, not even as close as 20 miles!

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,594,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
We know about the new roommate because the home owner told us. We would just talk to the home owner but: what if this the first she'd heard of it? She led us to believe he had a DUI. Sure, MYOB is a great philosophy but what if the girl is victimized by him? Since a previous roommate was it isn't all that far fetched.

This makes no sense in regards to a timeline.

The homeowner let the guy live there you said before and after his jail time. Unless he had a DUI that involved injuring/killing someone he wouldn't be in jail for that long.

Even in very strict states like NY someone who gets even their 2nd DUI, isn't looking at jail time(other than the initial arrest which means a night in jail), a revoked or conditional license yes, jail time, no....so that doesn't add up.

So she is either lying or very stupid.

I would go with lying.

In fact since you're so chatty with her, when she mentioned he went to jail for "DUI", I would have asked her questions and commented how odd he was gone for so long for a DUI, did he injure or kill someone?

How old is the homeowner? How old is this guy?

And again doesn't this 18 yr old girl have a parent/parents? Most parents would ask "who are these people you are moving in with?", " a man is living there, does he go to college as well?" "he's 38, no you're not moving in".

Something doesn't add up with your thread. You're so concerned about this young woman being molested by this guy if she moves in, but at the same time you sound like your afraid to upset the homeowner by telling her your male roommate is a registered sex offender???????

Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
Quote:
We know about the new roommate because the home owner told us. We would just talk to the home owner but: what if this the first she'd heard of it? She led us to believe he had a DUI. Sure, MYOB is a great philosophy but what if the girl is victimized by him? Since a previous roommate was it isn't all that far fetched.

I guess I am still not understanding your need to be involved in this.

It is the home owners home, the girl moving in is 18 years old, a legal adult, you have no legal interest in any of this yet you have this need to be this girls protector.

Are you her father? Brother? Uncle? Cousin 14 times removed?

Stay out of these people's business and mind your home and your children and leave them alone.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:17 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
Quote:
He has registered, actually. That's how we found out!
Print out the info you saw and leave it on this girls car anonymously. Can you do this before she commits to moving in there?

Old 09-05-2014, 08:33 PM

16,025 posts, read 19,571,183 times
Quote:
Did the previous roommate tell the home owner about having been victimized? If she did, and that guy still lives there, you have your answer. You do realize there are sometimes female co -conspirators too? What a terrible position to be in, knowing something that could save someone from possible harm....I find it sad that so many ppl are dissuading you. The homeowner could always find another male roommate. Good luck

Last edited by JanND; 09-05-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 09:20 PM

9,741 posts, read 16,880,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Typically neighbors are NOT notified about sex offenders in the neighborhood. The onus is on the OP to check the sex offender registry and find out in which homes sex offenders are located. That is unfortunate. When I checked the sex offender registry in my Houston neighborhood, I was shocked by the number of offenders living in a several block radius of me (32, I believe). They were mostly pedophiles, as well

They are where I live. The Sheriff sends a post card to every residence in the neighborhood.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:12 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,457,883 times
Quote:
She knows and doesn't want to admit what a blight she's bringing on the neighborhood. Our neighbor did something similar. He admitted his son that moved in had a meth and heroin problem after it became obvious (his girlfriend had a drug overdose in the driveway) but left off that he had domestic violence and child abuse convictions, and that he was out on bail for assault and harassment charges. Guess how we found out? Police officer at our door after he started harassing us! Not only that but he'd gone after another neighbor with a baseball bat not long before. Don't let these MYOB apologists affect your decision. If the son had committed securities fraud, I wouldn't care- but assaulting people is something that happens due to proximity, like sexual assault, so it's absolutely your problem if he's nearby.

Since then he's picked up a few more assault charges, identity theft, more harassment, intimidation with a knife, all stuff that affects whomever he happens to be around.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
She knows and doesn't want to admit what a blight she's bringing on the neighborhood. Our neighbor did something similar. He admitted his son that moved in had a meth and heroin problem after it became obvious (his girlfriend had a drug overdose in the driveway) but left off that he had domestic violence and child abuse convictions, and that he was out on bail for assault and harassment charges. Guess how we found out? Police officer at our door after he started harassing us! Not only that but he'd gone after another neighbor with a baseball bat not long before. Don't let these MYOB apologists affect your decision. If the son had committed securities fraud, I wouldn't care- but assaulting people is something that happens due to proximity, like sexual assault, so it's absolutely your problem if he's nearby.

Legally there is nothing the original poster can do about this legal, 18 year old girl moving into this home whether he likes it or not.

He needs to tend to his own life and let the neighbors tend to theirs.
If the guy was threatening the original poster's family/children that is different but no one is threatening anyone, he is just wanting to be involved in something that is none of his business.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,457,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Legally there is nothing the original poster can do about this legal, 18 year old girl moving into this home whether he likes it or not.

He needs to tend to his own life and let the neighbors tend to theirs.
If the guy was threatening the original poster's family/children that is different but no one is threatening anyone, he is just wanting to be involved in something that is none of his business.
I believe the first amendment protects OPs right to speak about it. If the RSO doesn't want to be outed as an RSO, well it's fine to want that but facts are facts. No harm is done in speaking the truth.

If the RSO wishes to explain to people why it was ok to diddle a 12 year old, he's free to do so as well.

Last edited by mkarch; 09-05-2014 at 11:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or