U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:49 PM
FBJ

39,611 posts, read 50,177,126 times

Advertisements

I believe a having a roof over your head is always more important than having a car. The car will come in time and it would be difficult to live in a car especially in the winter time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 09:45 AM

16,571 posts, read 14,026,756 times
This comes down to basic philosophy.

According to the criteria given I would meet the "superior" bill. Made some good choices, worked hard, took care with my finances but I also know, that I am fundamentally very lucky. I had the health, familial support, genetic good luck, etc. to make all of those choices and reap the rewards. But I also know that ALL people occasionally make a bad choice, and frequently the difference of how that occasional mistake works out (whether it is life altering of a near miss) is luck. So no, I am not superior to anyone else because i made some good choice and got some great luck. It can be summed up to "there but for the grace…"

Additionally, I am lucky enough to have a very supportive family, and not specifically financially. My uncle had a string of unlucky occurrences happen to him once (many years before the current financial crisis), including losing his job, his wife became catastrophically ill, cars and home needed quick unforeseeable repairs and so on. He made the "superior" choices and had a very reasonable amount of savings (over a years worth of his salary) but it was gone in less than six months. I was grateful I was in a position (along with other family members) to help out and he has since done the same thing for a cousin who was in a different but still similar position. That is why families are still important beyond childhood, they are the real social safety net.

A shame OP, that it is clearly more important to you to be superior to your family members than participate in actually being in a family. I sincerely hope no bad luck ever befalls you, or even worse you make a mistake, and that you are treated the way you are treating your sister.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:25 PM

23,405 posts, read 17,418,171 times
You can always live in a car, but how do you get to work without a car in many areas?

Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
You can always live in a car, but how do you get to work without a car in many areas?

Maybe in the summer time but in the winter I'm not sure due to freezing Temps

Old 09-13-2014, 12:24 PM

114 posts, read 109,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

According to the criteria given I would meet the "superior" bill. Made some good choices, worked hard, took care with my finances but I also know, that I am fundamentally very lucky. I had the health, familial support, genetic good luck, etc. to make all of those choices and reap the rewards. But I also know that ALL people occasionally make a bad choice, and frequently the difference of how that occasional mistake works out (whether it is life altering of a near miss) is luck. So no, I am not superior to anyone else because i made some good choice and got some great luck. It can be summed up to "there but for the grace…"

Additionally, I am lucky enough to have a very supportive family, and not specifically financially. My uncle had a string of unlucky occurrences happen to him once (many years before the current financial crisis), including losing his job, his wife became catastrophically ill, cars and home needed quick unforeseeable repairs and so on. He made the "superior" choices and had a very reasonable amount of savings (over a years worth of his salary) but it was gone in less than six months. I was grateful I was in a position (along with other family members) to help out and he has since done the same thing for a cousin who was in a different but still similar position. That is why families are still important beyond childhood, they are the real social safety net.

A shame OP, that it is clearly more important to you to be superior to your family members than participate in actually being in a family. I sincerely hope no bad luck ever befalls you, or even worse you make a mistake, and that you are treated the way you are treating your sister.

I've already had bad luck befall me, many times in fact. But I didn't go to others for help until I had thrown every luxury item overboard that I could. I've thrown a car overboard in order to keep a roof over my head and I'll do it again if I have to.

If you read the thread in it's entirety, you will see that I was not the one who brought up the subject of "superiority" in the first place, someone else did. Also I was very transparent about my own financial missteps.

This family member willing chose to have a luxury item over a place to live. That's called wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

A car is optional. People are so addicted to the convenience of having a car, that they think it's a necessity, but it's not. I've spent more than half of my adult life using public transportation. So if it's good enough for me, it should be good enough for them.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for posting.

Last edited by ScoopSeeker; 09-13-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post
I've already had bad luck befall me, many times in fact. But I didn't go to others for help until I had thrown every luxury item overboard that I could. I've thrown a car overboard in order to keep a roof over my head and I'll do it again if I have to.

If you read the thread in it's entirety, you will see that I was not the one who brought up the subject of "superiority" in the first place, someone else did. Also I was very transparent about my own financial missteps.

This family member willing chose to have a luxury item over a place to live. That's called wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

A car is optional. People are so addicted to the convenience of having a car, that they think it's a necessity, but it's not. I've spent more than half of my adult life using public transportation. So if it's good enough for me, it should be good enough for them.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for posting.
Beautiful post, I agree 100%

Old 09-13-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Beautiful post, I agree 100%
Thank you.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopSeeker View Post
Thank you.
And when I do get a car I will make sure I remind myself to never get attached to it because having a roof over my head is more important

Old 09-13-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
.... and I don't see where any of this "comes down to basic philosophy". There isn't anything philosophical about paying your rent. Landlords don't care about "basic philosophy". They want the rent by the 1st of the month, or out you go.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or