Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:34 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Eh, everything in moderation. We got new neighbors across the street who did such a beautiful job relandscaping their property, I was completely inspired to redo our front lawn, porch, landscaping area. It certainly ramped up the curb appeal, and I still smile when I pull in the driveway. So keeping up with them ultimately made me happier.

It is great that everyone on this thread is a maverick who goes their own way, so unique! But reality is society is based on the herd mentality and there are positive gains to be had when people compete aka keep up with the Jones'. But if you are going into debt, or more specifically, bad debt, just to feel adequate as opposed to being inspired, than that is probably a sorry state of affairs.
I don't think I've ever once seen or heard of someone making a "keeping up the with the Joneses" spin as a good thing.

It's generally thought of as a pejorative, not as a way to motivate or inspire others to update the Zen garden or things of the like.

Ways to improve ourselves and or others isn't generally thought of when once mentions that term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:48 PM

477 posts, read 800,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Wow! It's scary seeing this happen to people. I want to feel bad for them when something bad happens, but it's really hard to do that.
I usually don't. In many cases (not all, but many) the man left the first wife, to be with the younger one. Sometimes, a family. I had a former boss like that. He left his wife and two child to marry some young blonde. They've been married almost twelve years now. She's spent any savings they had and rules the roost. If she doesn't want to do something, the family won't do it. He used to comment it's just easier to deal with her until his children are grown than to actually divorce her. On my last day at that branch, I just sighed and said "I really feel for ya. How's your ex wife doing?" he just looked at me.

Speaking of bosses, I had a coworker who decided to buy his girlfriend (who he later broke up with) a Chanel purse our boss bought for his wife. When we had our Christmas party they were there with the same purse (same color, too). The wife said "Nice purse". The girlfriend felt stupid. He stayed in that company for about three more years and NEVER got a raise. When he spoke up about no raise, our boss told him "You can lead a high life. Maybe you stop buying your girlfriends expensive gifts".

When I was in college, I has a coworker who was into labels. She had expensive shoes. I think they were Jimmy Chew. One night I was working over time, I saw another female coworker go into her desk (our desk didn't lock). Take white out and pour it on her shoes. While I think it's silly to spend so much on shoes, I did feel bad. I was so afraid to tattle. She eventually got fired for trying to start a physical fight with a new coworker.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't think I've ever once seen or heard of someone making a "keeping up the with the Joneses" spin as a good thing.

It's generally thought of as a pejorative, not as a way to motivate or inspire others to update the Zen garden or things of the like.

Ways to improve ourselves and or others isn't generally thought of when once mentions that term.
So? Just because the term has a negative connotation doesn't mean the entire concept is negative. Sometimes these things are much more complicated than that.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
And who drives Hummers anymore?
I always laugh when I see a Hummer!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:32 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,021 times
I never had the time in my good life to worry about any of that simple stupid nonsense, I'm always too busy working hard paying off any and all of my debt, as it turns out now, I'm buying everything in cash, (I have plenty of it now) they may have a hard time keeping up with me, lol. Too cool for school. Thank you very much.

Knight

Old 09-12-2014, 05:45 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
In my 'hood, keeping up with the Joneses means your landscaping
better be pristine. Does make for a beautiful area.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
So? Just because the term has a negative connotation doesn't mean the entire concept is negative. Sometimes these things are much more complicated than that.
You're pretty much missing the thrust of the entire thread, the thread is talking in terms of the negative view of the term, you coming on here and spinning it has nothing to do with the context of the OP.

Matter of fact, it's basically a form of hijacking the thread, if we wanna get down to brass tacks here.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You're pretty much missing the thrust of the entire thread, the thread is talking in terms of the negative view of the term, you coming on here and spinning it has nothing to do with the context of the OP.

Matter of fact, it's basically a form of hijacking the thread, if we wanna get down to brass tacks here.
This was the OP: "Please share stories of people that you know that are or were keeping up with the Joneses. "

Which is exactly what I did, shared a story of keeping up with the neighbors aka the joneses, in a materialistic way. Just because it is not an entirely negative story does not mean it is remotely a thread hijack and is in fact, the proverbial silver lining.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
This was the OP: "Please share stories of people that you know that are or were keeping up with the Joneses. "

Which is exactly what I did, shared a story of keeping up with the neighbors aka the joneses, in a materialistic way. Just because it is not an entirely negative story does not mean it is remotely a thread hijack and is in fact, the proverbial silver lining.
I can see you'd be fun at an amusement park......

Old 09-13-2014, 01:26 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have never tried to keep up with anyone, my Mother taught us to earn what we have and care for what we have earned.
Agreed.
My mom taught me the same thing.
And how to be a saver.
And how to recycle and reuse.
And how to bargain shop.

We have some nice things, but they are bc WE want them. Not to compete with anyone else.

Makes sense. My dream is to retire on the beach somewhere FAR FAR away from any people...so why would I bother trying to impress them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships