Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,160 times

Advertisements

I hope this in the right category. Please share stories of people that you know that are or were keeping up with the Joneses.

I remember an aunt of mine kept bragging about how she was going on this wonderful 10-day cruise for Christmas (after we coincidently went on a cruise). She then called my dad a week or so before the cruise and asked him for $1000 to cover bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Almost everyone in the US tries to keep up with the Jones'. It's, for better or worse, engrained in our culture.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:11 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
I don't see it as much....

one of my fav bumper stickers is the

the best car ...... is paid for

minimal sustainability is going to be the catch phrase someday soon

we are almost 20 trillion in debt,,,someday we will have to pay the piper and it wont be pretty

Old 09-06-2014, 08:13 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
We have never tried to keep up with anyone, my Mother taught us to earn what we have and care for what we have earned.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
We don't have enough money to keep up with the Joneses. Those that do, good for them.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:47 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have never tried to keep up with anyone, my Mother taught us to earn what we have and care for what we have earned.
Smart and what is the point? I've seen so many acquaintances and coworkers do this and what is the
point? There will always be someone else who has more money and more stuff when they decide
to play this game.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Smart and what is the point? I've seen so many acquaintances and coworkers do this and what is the
point? There will always be someone else who has more money and more stuff when they decide
to play this game.

I agree but let me be honest, the last 5 or so years I myself have been pretty stupid when it comes to making purchases and now I am burdened with stuff that I do not want or need.

I have not made the purchases to keep up with anyone and I'm not really sure what the motivation was because I am not a shopper but here I am with all this stuff now.

Anyway, I am currently sorting, separating, tossing, getting ready for garage sale or donating absolutely everything we do not want, need, use, does not fit, needs repaired or haven't worn in a year.
It is a long tedious process but it is showing me once again why I do not shop and why we do not need all of these material possessions.

I will be so glad when all of this is done.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:01 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
^^^^I just noticed that I made an error in my first line. I did not mean to place "what is the point" in that first line....
it was late and I didn't proof read it. Anyway, my remark was intended to praise what your mother said.
We all can go back and reflect on some of the things we bought (and I too am not a shopper) and feel some purchases
were mistakes. But back to the topic, I knew so many people who bought things not because they needed them
but to "keep up with the Joneses" and then lament to me (secretly) that they were in debt or short of money for the
week or month.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,155,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I hope this in the right category. Please share stories of people that you know that are or were keeping up with the Joneses.

I remember an aunt of mine kept bragging about how she was going on this wonderful 10-day cruise for Christmas (after we coincidently went on a cruise). She then called my dad a week or so before the cruise and asked him for $1000 to cover bills.

I know that with my friends and family, we share our experiences with each other and then decide if that is something we would also like to do. It also helps to learn the details of the trip to decide if we are going to copy it exactly or make changes according to our finances. Many times, we go along with our friends and family just because we enjoy their company so I don't automatically consider copying what another person does as keeping up with the Joneses.

However, I would agree that your aunt is trying to keep up with the Joneses. It is when you want and want and want without considering the consequences.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Same here.
Not everyone buys into the Jones thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships