Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:42 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times

Advertisements

I received an invite to my high school's ten year reunion Facebook group this afternoon. I was on the fence about attending, and then I checked the confirmed attendees list, and it was mostly all the people who never left the hometown! The people who were more ambitious have mostly moved away, and I didn't see many of the names of those who are successful.

I'm a little surprised at how few people of those I grew up with really wanted to expand their horizons and live somewhere else, even if it's just relatively briefly. What do you think of people who never leave their hometowns? Are they a bit insulated, maybe even fearful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The people who were more ambitious have mostly moved away, and I didn't see many of the names of those who are successful.
Then that is unique to you.

I know many ambitious people who still live in their hometowns and have done very well for themselves.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Are they a bit insulated, maybe even fearful?

In my experience, they were. My reunion was pretty much the same - a large number of the more successful ones didn't make the time to travel back (I only went because I could combine it with some other things that I had to go back there to do, anyway). The majority of the attendees went because they had nothing else to do. It was very depressing. I never went to another one.

Example: they kept asking if I was a secretary. No, but I had a secretary. That did not compute. They only looked confused when I explained what I did (was in advertising at the time). To be fair, it's a VERY small town. Population around 5,000. Likely to be very different if you come from a large town or city.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. The town I grew up in was truly idyllic, and we managed to raise our three sons there until we outgrew our first house. At that point, it made more sense to move elsewhere and build new, because everything in my town was vintage and in need of renovation. But, if you ask my kids, that first house is where they consider themselves to be "from".

Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
I received an invite to my high school's ten year reunion Facebook group this afternoon. I was on the fence about attending, and then I checked the confirmed attendees list, and it was mostly all the people who never left the hometown! The people who were more ambitious have mostly moved away, and I didn't see many of the names of those who are successful.

I'm a little surprised at how few people of those I grew up with really wanted to expand their horizons and live somewhere else, even if it's just relatively briefly. What do you think of people who never leave their hometowns? Are they a bit insulated, maybe even fearful?
Or you could be being smug.

Some people find their bliss where they were born. Others want to see what's over the horizon.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Check back at your 15 or 20 year reunion. By then a lot of people have completely finished their higher ed (things like grad school), gotten married, had kids and all of the sudden that quaint hometown starts to look attractive again.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,203,754 times
Quote:

I am pretty open minded. I left my home to go to college and it paid dividends for me but I don't negatively judge people who never left their home towns. I mean unless you are talking about someone whose 35 years old and still living with their parents and never moved out at all then it's not that big a deal.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 8,644,982 times
I know many ambitious people that have never left their hometown.

We may have different ideas about success. I have put few, if any, 28 year olds in that category.

Go to your 40 year reunion. That will show the separation, and staying in the hometown probably will not be a factor.

You're kinda coming off as a jerk. The ones you are saying have fear or are insulated are probably thinking you are running away from your past.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:35 PM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:

You seem to be judging them already, and you don't even know their reasons. Maybe they joined their family's real estate business or restaurant or store, maybe they joined the police force there, maybe they chose to remain near their families for help with child care, maybe they moved away but moved back for some reason, maybe they just love living there. Why can't staying in your hometown equate to being ambitious? Maybe they'll run for mayor, that's ambitious.

Why not assume there are as many individual reasons for staying there as there are individuals?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:45 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,647,406 times
I guess it would depend on what city you call your hometown. If your hometown is a major city or part of a major metro area, where there are a diversity of good professional jobs or good paying jobs in general, then why leave. Now, if you live in a economically depressed area or rural area where jobs are few and far between, then I would leave also. I don't think I would give it much thought if people I know decide to stay in their hometown, not everybody will leave anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships