U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 10:06 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,287,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What would you do if your spouse/good friend/family member spent a lot of effort and time into getting you something they thought that you would absolutely love. They were excited for the time that you would open up the gift and be surprised and excited to get such a nice gift from them. Their heart was really in it from picking it out, to wrapping it and signing the card.

Then you open it and for whatever reason it's not your style or you just dislike the piece.

Let's say the piece of jewelry cost around $500.00. Your spouse/good friend/family member tells you if you don't like it that you can exchange it for something you like better.

Would you trade it in for something you like better? Or would you behave as if you love it because you know the time and effort that went into picking out the gift and you know a lot of heart went into it and it would break you spouse/good friend/family member's heart if you traded it in?

Or would you think that if they spend that much for a nice gift that they would probably want you to have something that you enjoy wearing and you'd trade it in for something you prefer to wear?

Personally I'd keep it and wear it proudly. Id' be afraid if I traded it in it might burst their bubble and they might not be so inclined to make that type of purchase for me anymore. It's more important for me to have something they picked out for me than to chance breaking their heart. It would mean the world to me to have that piece no matter how much I hated it as long as it wasn't a large donkey 8 inches in diameter pendant hanging on a chain. Oh heck, I'd still keep it and wear it.

If I can wear wooden beads on a string that my daughter made me in school I can wear any other piece of jewelry someone took the time to find and purchase as a gift.

I don't have much jewelry and I tend to change the pieces I do wear after a couple months so the piece would not be worn often but it would be worn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM

18 posts, read 18,464 times
Quote:
What would you do if your spouse/good friend/family member spent a lot of effort and time into getting you something they thought that you would absolutely love. They were excited for the time that you would open up the gift and be surprised and excited to get such a nice gift from them. Their heart was really in it from picking it out, to wrapping it and signing the card.
If they spent that kind of money without consulting me on what I might want with that kind of monetary value, I have no hesitation saying, "I wish you'd asked me first, why don't we see if we can exchange this for something I'd like more?"

If they get mad at that, it's their problem for not consulting me first. JFC, people sure can be STUPID.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
This didn't happen to me. I'm just asking because this happened to a friend and I was curious what others would do. If happened to me, I would keep because it was given from their heart. That's more important to me than having something I like better.
I understand you sentiment here, but the way I looked at it when this happened to me was - what a waste of that money if I don't just LOVE the jewelry.

So I oohhhed and ahhhed and showed my extreme pleasure and gratitude that he would have selected something so nice for me. Then I let a few days go by and told him the earrings were so pretty, but so heavy and actually kind of uncomfortable to wear. He immediately suggested we return them and find something "more comfortable" for me

Win Win

Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,629,336 times
I kept them, pretended to love them. Funny thing is, he knows I love and wear handcrafted silver and turquoise but bought me something I would never wear. First jewelry he ever bought me in over 40 years. No problem, I'll pass them on to my daughter - it's her style.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 AM

342 posts, read 348,435 times
Doh! This happened to me with my ENGAGEMENT RING!!!! We had looked at rings together, so he thought he knew what I liked, but somehow got it completely wrong. Completely. I wanted a simple solitaire ring with a little bit of filagree. He got me a complicated, overdone solitaire ring (Tacori).

I agreed to wear it for awhile before deciding definitively. I now LOVE the ring. It's not my taste, really. But it is very much who HE is. And that's why I love it. And I get compliments on it everywhere I go.

A dear friend and his wife gave me a bracelet a couple of weekends ago. I don't really wear bracelets. And I'm not sure I would have picked out this particular one for myself. But it is tasteful and simple, and I LOVE my friend, so I LOVE the bracelet and have not taken it off.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:43 AM

15,032 posts, read 21,763,471 times
If it is from my spouse and very expensive, I would let him know the truth. There has been several pieces that weren't expensive that he has purchase, I keep, say thank you and wear it very rarely!!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,403,801 times
I usually will make it a point to wear it in front of them, but not on a regular basis.

My mother & sister are an entirely different animal. They will either exchange jewelry or have them changed all of the time. My sister is on her 2nd marriage, and for the 2nd time, she completely changed her engagement ring a year after being married. It's just what they do.

My mother bought me a coat a couple of years ago that I hate. I actually tried it on in front of her in the store & told her I didn't like it. I picked out another coat & she bought it for my birthday (which is right before xmas). For Xmas, there's the one that I didn't like! I only wear it in front of her, and when I'm not wearing it, she points it out. I should have told her at xmas that I didn't like it & returned it

Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM

192 posts, read 343,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If it is from my spouse and very expensive, I would let him know the truth. There has been several pieces that weren't expensive that he has purchase, I keep, say thank you and wear it very rarely!!
Me too and sometimes I have found the inexpensive pieces have grown on me, either my tastes have changed or the sentimentality has won me over.

I did twice though tell him that a rather expensive piece was not to my tastes and both times it didn't work out so well so it helps to know what the options really are:

1) My engagement ring, we went with a store that has tons of designer settings to pick from then you put the stone in them. When I got the ring I thought he ordered it wrong (the layout of the side stones was not what we picked out). It turns out they couldn't do what I wanted and changed the design slightly and after they showed me the other option I was very happy with what hubby had gotten. In hindsight I wish I had talked to the store without him and found this out as I think he felt really rejected by the whole thing.

2) An emerald ring he bought me: I was picky about it the quality of the stone but I didn't realize at the time how expensive emeralds are! Again, I should have done a little comparison shopping first. Other than that I love the ring and the sentiment that it matched my favorite earrings (brownie points for him for paying attention) and in the long run nobody notices the exact clarity of it so it doesn't really matter.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:14 PM

139 posts, read 301,949 times
as over the years my wife and I both seem to increase the amount we spend on gifts for each other. since these things can be a little costly ,you want to make sure it will be liked. rather than surprise someone with a gift they do not prefer, I ask my wife what she wants- with the threat that if she wants me to pick out something on my own I will find what I feel is the ugliest piece of jewelry in the store( making sure it is returnable) and she can return it for what she chooses.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM

2,439 posts, read 3,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut74 View Post
as over the years my wife and I both seem to increase the amount we spend on gifts for each other. since these things can be a little costly ,you want to make sure it will be liked. rather than surprise someone with a gift they do not prefer, I ask my wife what she wants- with the threat that if she wants me to pick out something on my own I will find what I feel is the ugliest piece of jewelry in the store( making sure it is returnable) and she can return it for what she chooses.
I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or