U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,514,873 times

Advertisements

What would you do if your spouse/good friend/family member spent a lot of effort and time into getting you something they thought that you would absolutely love. They were excited for the time that you would open up the gift and be surprised and excited to get such a nice gift from them. Their heart was really in it from picking it out, to wrapping it and signing the card.

Then you open it and for whatever reason it's not your style or you just dislike the piece.

Let's say the piece of jewelry cost around $500.00. Your spouse/good friend/family member tells you if you don't like it that you can exchange it for something you like better.

Would you trade it in for something you like better? Or would you behave as if you love it because you know the time and effort that went into picking out the gift and you know a lot of heart went into it and it would break you spouse/good friend/family member's heart if you traded it in?

Or would you think that if they spend that much for a nice gift that they would probably want you to have something that you enjoy wearing and you'd trade it in for something you prefer to wear?

Personally I'd keep it and wear it proudly. Id' be afraid if I traded it in it might burst their bubble and they might not be so inclined to make that type of purchase for me anymore. It's more important for me to have something they picked out for me than to chance breaking their heart. It would mean the world to me to have that piece no matter how much I hated it as long as it wasn't a large donkey 8 inches in diameter pendant hanging on a chain. Oh heck, I'd still keep it and wear it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:58 PM

16,343 posts, read 10,331,404 times
They did, although not sure if it cost that much. And I did wear it occasionally. It was a piece of jewelry and never wore jewelry to work so not wearing it often was not unexpected.

I still have it. I still don't like it. I still appreciate the love it symbolizes.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
It's happened to me three times...

1) my step mother bought me a watch which I find horrendous. I smiled and thanked her profusely and haven't ever worn it. (I don't live near her, so rarely see her.)

2) My mother in law bought me a necklace that I don't like. Once again, smiled and thanked her profusely. I recognized that the length, style, and color matched a certain blouse I have. I wear it with that. While I still hate the necklace, I've received a lot of compliments on it, so others like it.

3) My husband bought me a bracelet I don't like. Obviously, I told him I loved it! I would wear it occasionally and make sure he knew ("honey, can you help me with this bracelet?"), but realized that I needed to take the lead here. So, for the next few years, anytime I saw something I "liked", I made mention of it. I received a few more pieces that were not my taste (a couple of very expensive items, too), but now he seems to only buy things that I have "causally" indicated I thought was pretty.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:58 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,629,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What if your spouse/family member/good friend bought you a piece of jewelry that you hate...

Let's say the piece of jewelry cost around $500.00.

I can say with confidence that would not happen to me.

Spouse, family and friends would not spend that amount of money without knowing for sure it would be liked.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:14 PM

5,578 posts, read 5,093,804 times
OMG, my husband always had a hard time buying things for me. I didn't know why it was so hard. I like silver hand crafted jewelry. He basically refused to buy things that were my taste. He bought me a bracelet for my birthday one year that I didn't like at all. I wore it a few times just to be nice but he could tell I didn't like it. Then one day I noticed that my MIL had one EXACTLY like it. It dawned on me that that he had always bought me things his mother would like.

When we split up I photocopied the entire contents of his filing cabinet and found the receipt. $500 at Sam's Club. What a dummy! He could have spent $50 and I would have been happier. One of these days I'm going to take that dumb bracelet somewhere and sell it.

When my first was born, my inlaws bought me a birthstone ring that I loved and wore all the time. A band inset with small emeralds. When the second was born I got a necklace that I hated. Oh, well, I'll just give it to her someday. I would have much preferred a matching ring that I could have worn together with the first. Come to think of it, maybe some day I'll buy one of those for myself.....

If I am ever married again, I think I'll be more upfront about what I would like for my birthday, etc, to the point where if I see something I like in a store, I'll just say "honey, that would be the perfect birthday gift for me! If you buy it today, I'll pretend to be surprised when I open it!"

Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM

8,548 posts, read 5,373,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What would you do if your spouse/good friend/family member spent a lot of effort and time into getting you something they thought that you would absolutely love. They were excited for the time that you would open up the gift and be surprised and excited to get such a nice gift from them. Their heart was really in it from picking it out, to wrapping it and signing the card.

Then you open it and for whatever reason it's not your style or you just dislike the piece.

Let's say the piece of jewelry cost around $500.00. Your spouse/good friend/family member tells you if you don't like it that you can exchange it for something you like better.

Would you trade it in for something you like better? Or would you behave as if you love it because you know the time and effort that went into picking out the gift and you know a lot of heart went into it and it would break you spouse/good friend/family member's heart if you traded it in?

Or would you think that if they spend that much for a nice gift that they would probably want you to have something that you enjoy wearing and you'd trade it in for something you prefer to wear?

Personally I'd keep it and wear it proudly. Id' be afraid if I traded it in it might burst their bubble and they might not be so inclined to make that type of purchase for me anymore. It's more important for me to have something they picked out for me than to chance breaking their heart. It would mean the world to me to have that piece no matter how much I hated it as long as it wasn't a large donkey 8 inches in diameter pendant hanging on a chain. Oh heck, I'd still keep it and wear it.
Then keep the piece, you don't have to wear it everyday. But follow your own words here since you are worrying about hurting the person feeling.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:44 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
My spouse wouldn't want me to keep a gift I didn't like. I worked in the jewelry industry for years, and he was too afraid to buy me anything because it was my field of expertise, not his. But when I stopped working, he started going to a friend of mine for suggestions. She knew my taste, and I love everything he bought.

A gift from a friend or family member? I'd probably keep it and wear it when I was around them.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:45 PM

5,940 posts, read 5,297,242 times
I don't see a good friend buying jewelry. I always thought you only bought jewelry for your mom and women you are sleeping with.

I have never seen a quality piece that all women did not like. It may not be their style but they would appreciate the quality. Other than the donkey example I am sure there would be a time you could wear it. Or you could do like mothers do with the earrings their little kids buy them. They have them on when they leave but put other ones on in the car.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:54 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,356,656 times
I'm sentimental. Even if it were not something I'd pick out for myself, I'd wear it because someone else saw it and thought it was perfect for me.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:03 PM

2,431 posts, read 3,514,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Then keep the piece, you don't have to wear it everyday. But follow your own words here since you are worrying about hurting the person feeling.
This didn't happen to me. I'm just asking because this happened to a friend and I was curious what others would do. If happened to me, I would keep because it was given from their heart. That's more important to me than having something I like better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or