Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:24 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry your sister is a user and a liar. I really don't think you will ever get this money back from her. She earns $40,000.00 a year and you're a struggling college student. She's vacationing in Australia. There's a disconnect here and she doesn't see it or care. Consider it a hard lesson learned, never lend anyone money unless you are prepared to lose it.

On the plus side, you don't have to give her a birthday Christmas, or other gift for a very long time. When gift giving time comes, you give her a card stating in lieu of a gift you are deducting some amount of money from her debt. If you wish you could also list the current balance.

ex. Dear Sister, Happy Birthday! I really can't afford to give you a birthday gift this year, so in lieu of a gift I'm forgiving $25.00 of the debt you owe me. Your current balance is now only $975.00. Love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Easy...wait until she asks you for another loan. State, you haven't paid me back for the last thousand dollars of loans....Pay up! Do not loan her another dime. She will never pay you what she owes you, but maybe it will keep her from asking.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:32 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,346 times
Tell her to pay small part of the moneys at every month.

For the future always make a paper of it.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:39 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm so sorry your sister is a user and a liar. I really don't think you will ever get this money back from her. She earns $40,000.00 a year and you're a struggling college student. She's vacationing in Australia. There's a disconnect here and she doesn't see it or care. Consider it a hard lesson learned, never lend anyone money unless you are prepared to lose it.

On the plus side, you don't have to give her a birthday Christmas, or other gift for a very long time. When gift giving time comes, you give her a card stating in lieu of a gift you are deducting some amount of money from her debt. If you wish you could also list the current balance.

ex. Dear Sister, Happy Birthday! I really can't afford to give you a birthday gift this year, so in lieu of a gift I'm forgiving $25.00 of the debt you owe me. Your current balance is now only $975.00. Love you.
Perfect. Perfect. Best solutions I've heard.

Hopefully, this will be opened at a family gathering so that all siblings, the folks, the aunts and uncles are all aware of what she is up to.

Perhaps they are all owed money as well and this will become a family tradition.

Perhaps she will be ashamed enough to pay you all back and get in your good graces.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Start asking her for money. She probably won't lend you any. when she refuses, then just tell her since she can't loan you money, how about just paying you back for what she owes. She will doubtless get angry but at least it is all out on the table.

When says the money was "gifts," tell her you are needing some gifts now, lol.

You aren't going to get the money back. At least this way, you have changed the dynamics. If she ever asks for money in the future, tell her you hate to hear she is short as you were hoping to get some money from her. And then change the subject.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
It's the rare case I hear about where one family member loans money to another family member and gets paid back and everything turns out fine.

For every ONE time that I hear about a successful loan to a family member, there's gotta be a hundred where one person gets ripped off, cuts off contact with their sibling/family member, etc.

OP, I realize in your situation you are struggling right now. However, it sounds like you are much more responsible than your sister in budgeting and using your money. In the future, I think this will be a valuable lesson for you, and you'll be a bit more savvy financially because of it. While I don't see any harm in asking for this money publicly (in front of other family members) I also doubt anything will come of it. But at the least, you will have informed your sister that her requests for money are no longer welcome and will not be considered.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:04 AM

451 posts, read 562,372 times
You can try telling her that you are in a tight spot and need the money to bail yourself out. Play to her sympathy and see if it works. If she says she doesn't have money, suggest that she pay you back gradually.

Stop lending her money. Wtf is she doing in Australia if she needs to borrow money from people?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:24 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
Maybe work out a payment that is viable for her every month. Or take her to court and let a judge decide.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humz View Post
I'm a college senior working part-time at $18 an hour, paying for my own tuition, rent, food, bills, and gas. She graduated college five years ago, works full-time, $40k a year.

At first, whenever she asked me for money, I'd give it to her. Her car broke down, or someone stole her card, or she just didn't have enough to pay the phone bill for the month. She always said she'd pay me back as soon as she had the money. I loved her, I believed her. I understand that everyone has a hard time now and then.

After two years of doing this, she owes me over a thousand dollars now. She hasn't paid me back a single penny. Right now, she's on a 10-day vacation in Australia. No mention of paying me back, despite being able to afford the latest gadgets and going on multiple vacations outside of the country.

In the future, I'm not giving her anything no matter what she says. Still hard to believe my own sister took full advantage of me like that when I am still the college student paying for living expenses, textbooks, and tuition entirely out of my own pocket.

I don't know how to ask for all of that money back in a way that will get her to pay me back. I tried asking her directly multiple times, but she always tells me to wait until she gets a bonus from work or until she gets paid for overtime. When that happens, then she conveniently doesn't remember talking to me about paying me back the previous time I ask.

This is so wrong, especially since you appear to be struggling and obviously you didn't have a whole lot of money to begin with. It baffles me how she can sleep at night.

Did you confront her about this? If it were me she would be disowned. She stabbed you in the back.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
You can try telling her that you are in a tight spot and need the money to bail yourself out.
Love the idea of borrowing it back.

As a student, the OP probably has lots of timea she is short on money. Start asking your sister to help you out of a tight spot.

That's what sisters are for. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships