U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 AM
 
293 posts, read 240,206 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

This is probably a rather useless question, but I'm just sort of curious, so I figured I'd ask. I know lots of guys forget anniversaries and birthdays and that's pretty much a running joke societally. Also, lots of guys get in trouble or get into fights over that. But with the advent of smartphones with calendars and even the ability to remind you about those things, is that a thing of the past? Anyone recently (within the past maybe three years) want to fess up to either forgetting or knowing someone who forgot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:34 AM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
17,104 posts, read 34,533,299 times
Reputation: 16148
My boyfriend and I don't make a big deal about birthdays or Valentines Day. We don't recognize any anniversaries either. But we do nice things and give each other presents spontaneously. I don't go crazy over christmas either because I do give him gifts all year round.

I'd say that our biggest gift to each other (and our dogs) is just maintaining the new place we bought last year in NH.

For the major holidays, we either cook a great meal or go out to a good restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,932 posts, read 6,466,155 times
Reputation: 44202
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
This is probably a rather useless question, but I'm just sort of curious, so I figured I'd ask. I know lots of guys forget anniversaries and birthdays and that's pretty much a running joke societally. Also, lots of guys get in trouble or get into fights over that. But with the advent of smartphones with calendars and even the ability to remind you about those things, is that a thing of the past? Anyone recently (within the past maybe three years) want to fess up to either forgetting or knowing someone who forgot?
Don't assume everyone has one of those phones. I don't and most of my friends don't either.

When I was married I never forgot. Same with close friends birthdays. I find it very touching when a few friends call me on the phone for mine. And none of these 3 friends I am thinking about have those types of phones. They just remember. But I realize in this day and age birthday's, etc. don't seem to matter anymore, at least for most people.
I guess I'm old school in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 06:56 AM
 
293 posts, read 240,206 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Don't assume everyone has one of those phones. I don't and most of my friends don't either.

When I was married I never forgot. Same with close friends birthdays. I find it very touching when a few friends call me on the phone for mine. And none of these 3 friends I am thinking about have those types of phones. They just remember. But I realize in this day and age birthday's, etc. don't seem to matter anymore, at least for most people.
I guess I'm old school in some ways.
No, I understand. I mean, the point of remembering a date is because it's actually important to you, not just because someone told you the day before. I guess I was just curious because I was wondering if this "cultural joke" of the forgetful husband would eventually disappear or get to the point where everyone was like "what are you talking about?"

Like I said, it's sort of a lame question, but it's been bugging me for a little bit for some reason, so I just asked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
20,419 posts, read 37,484,068 times
Reputation: 39034
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
I guess I was just curious because I was wondering if this "cultural joke" of the forgetful husband would eventually disappear or get to the point where everyone was like "what are you talking about?"
Among my friends and neighbors, the forgetful husband is exactly what you said...a joke. Not reality.
The husbands know when they got married. They know their wives' birthdays. IT is not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 AM
 
293 posts, read 240,206 times
Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Among my friends and neighbors, the forgetful husband is exactly what you said...a joke. Not reality.
The husbands know when they got married. They know their wives' birthdays. IT is not rocket science.
I'm sure it happens quite a bit or it wouldn't make sense as a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:05 AM
 
5,574 posts, read 5,809,850 times
Reputation: 16488
In my experience, when someone (myself included) misses a birthday or anniversary, it's usually not because they can't remember the date of the event. More likely they've lost track of the current date.

I missed my mother's birthday a couple years ago. It's not that I forgot my mother's birthday is on February 15. It's just that I had so much going on in my life that I was feeling rather scatterbrained. I couldn't tell you what day of the week it was. When I looked at the calendar and saw that it was February 16, my first thought was that I had missed my mother's birthday the day before.

Even with a smartphone, it's easy to get overloaded with the information from the phone and a few things to slip through the cracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:06 AM
 
9,568 posts, read 5,766,215 times
Reputation: 9652
I have forgotten my own anniversary a few times. I've forgotten birthdays before too. I'm horrible with remembering dates I guess and I don't always look at the calendar. I don't have a smart phone. I'm a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,932 posts, read 6,466,155 times
Reputation: 44202
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
No, I understand. I mean, the point of remembering a date is because it's actually important to you, not just because someone told you the day before. I guess I was just curious because I was wondering if this "cultural joke" of the forgetful husband would eventually disappear or get to the point where everyone was like "what are you talking about?"

Like I said, it's sort of a lame question, but it's been bugging me for a little bit for some reason, so I just asked it.
The only thing I can come up with is the person forgetting does not care. Birthdays, etc. mean nothing anymore to more and more people it seems. If recently told it goes in one ear and right out the other. I can't relate but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Greenbelt, MD
8,932 posts, read 6,466,155 times
Reputation: 44202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have forgotten my own anniversary a few times. I've forgotten birthdays before too. I'm horrible with remembering dates I guess and I don't always look at the calendar. I don't have a smart phone. I'm a woman.
A lot of men don't have smartphones either! As mentioned I do not have one. More friends in my circle are without them than own one.

I don't know, I never forget a close friends birthday. If I had an SO I wouldn't forget her either. I never did when I was married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top