U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,836,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The food bothers me, though -- I don't know of any thrift shop around here who accepts canned goods or baked goods -- if someone has them, they take them to a food bank (which doesn't accept outdated food) or a homeless shelter, they don't take them to a thrift shop. That's just weird.
According to the OP, it's a church-run thrift store. It's not uncommon for churches to collect non-perishable foods. They likely know that the food bank doesn't accept outdated food, and that's how the roommate ends up with the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 PM

11,266 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Two words: yard sale
Or just load it back up and take it back to the thrift store. Answers a few questions about why his marriage fell apart.
Boundaries. As the first (I think) poster said, he rents the room, not the whole house. He needs help so put up with it or adopt him.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,626,476 times
Colorado Rambler, when I joined CD last year yours were some of the first posts I read. I remember thinking there's a woman who knows her own mind and isn't afraid to say what she feels needs to be said. You can put a stop to this.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,371,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Colorado Rambler, when I joined CD last year yours were some of the first posts I read. I remember thinking there's a woman who knows her own mind and isn't afraid to say what she feels needs to be said. You can put a stop to this.
Why, thank you for such a nice compliment! I wish it were true. My bark is much worse than my bite and I like to get along with people - not be confrontational with them.

For those who wondered about the thrift shop's practice of just setting out food for those in need, it's just become a custom around here, I guess. We are a pretty small town (pop only 8,000) in a rural area as far away from everything as you can get. We don't have to worry about up-tight food inspectors or whatever. I think I may just take some of the extra food and bring it to a young woman we both know who is struggling to make ends meet. If my housemate asks where it went, I'll be able to reply with complete honesty, "Oh, I gave it to so and so. You know how hard up she is." Now if only I could think of a way to get rid of the cheap imitation brass trinkets...

Old 09-19-2014, 10:02 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,247,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
OP said he is not purchasing it, he's "acquiring" it.

If it were my home he would be "acquiring" it somewhere else.
No one takes over my home like that.
Mr. CSD has a grain bin, shed, trailer and a railroad container to keep his stuff in so it does not overtake our home.
He is a hoarder, things are overall contained and somewhat controlled but he is still a hoarder.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:50 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
He may be working in the back, in the "intake" department, where things come in and never even get recorded if he decides there's something he likes.
How is that not theft?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,252,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Mr. CSD has a grain bin, shed, trailer and a railroad container to keep his stuff in so it does not overtake our home.
He is a hoarder, things are overall contained and somewhat controlled but he is still a hoarder.
Lucky guy...most guys are hoarders, we never know when we might need that cool doodad which looks handy for something. I rarely throw things away when I can repair them as I wasn't raised to be a tossaway kind of kid. My folks were depression era kids and it rubbed off. Only cheap junk made in Asia is truly disposable when initially produced. I can toss that stuff all day long. Loose bits of good lumber? It goes in the pile. Scrap metal? Toss it in the back of the truck until I have enough to scrap for $$$.

I bet this redneck kind of stuff freaks out mid 20s metrosexual hipster urbanites. As it was put to me decades ago, "This is self preservation, young man". I soon learned what that meant and do for myself most things people pay others to do. My John Deere mower is going on 25 years old and still cutting weekly. I know most every nut and bolt on it.

I know lots of people like me and it seems to be a baby boomer generational thing. We all help each other if we need some help.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:09 PM

10 posts, read 9,221 times
My mother passed away earlier this year, leaving a PACKED house, where my brother still lives. Both of them packed the house like this, gradually bringing more and more items in.

You must take a strong stand and order your tenant to move the stuff out. However, it's already gone pretty far, and it likely will not be easy. He is probably acquiring things in an attempt to deal with his divorce (anxiety).

Hold onto your hat. Things could get ugly; you might have to evict him (and the stuff) from the house.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 AM

11,266 posts, read 8,433,015 times
Try accepting a job in Hawaii with no relocation expenses paid! I promise those do-dads won't look so useful. We downsized to 2 suitcases (each) in a flash! The worst was giving up my saddle collection. Okay, I admit it. I'm a reformed saddle COLLECTOR. Not hoarder. There's a difference. And so far I've only acquired one... I have another one I'm picking up next month... and maybe the one I lent to someone so I wouldn't have to sell it, I might be getting that one back, too.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:18 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,554,924 times
Quote:
... Your house, your rules, op. You need to say, "these two cabinets are yours. These refrigerator shelves are you. If you have any food outside these areas, they will be tossed." same on the other junk. "here's a shelf -- anything else needs to be stored elsewhere, out of the house."

you offered to rent him a room, not a house-sized storage unit. You need to set boundaries.
^^^ that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or