U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 AM

16,797 posts, read 14,530,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
When it starts spilling out of the bedroom and into the rest of your house, he has a problem. Do you think you could find a new roommate and ask rent at the price people in your area are getting. You are not only getting less money than you could, but you have someone whose junk is filling up your house and it probably won't stop.
I know, it makes absolutely no sense. I wonder if the OP tends toward self-sabotage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:00 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,290,646 times
Maybe there needs to be less analysis as to the why of the hoarding, less concern as to whether hoarding of food is theft or oversupply. Perhaps the OP should concentrate on the fact that hoarding is a seriously going to adversely affect her life and her home. Telling the hoarder he has to confine it to his room is really not helpful. In a month's time, the hoard will be packed to the ceiling . Picture the guy crawling over the hoard to get to the bed, or making a narrow path into the room. Picture the unused foodstuffs in his room molding away and attracting vermin. Asking him to keep it in outside sheds or trailers is the same problem. The hoard will just continue to expand. OP- I think your only solution is to tell the hoarder to leave. His hoarding problem is not your problem unless you permit him to overtake your life with it.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:40 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
At least you're not married to him! My husband a couple of years ago started going to estate sales and buying vintage/antique things and reselling them. He has most of the stuff in booths he rents in antique malls, but he was acquiring more stuff than could fit in his booths and he started bring it home and filling the garage, spare bedroom and family room with it. I was very unhappy and he did end up getting most of it out of the house. But he also tends to collect other "stuff" that he thinks he might need/might use someday. We are working on that. We don't need 20 tubes of caulk! We don't need 10 furnace filters or 10 Skil Saw batteries. We don't need to keep leftover tile from when we remodeled the bathroom. We don't need three mowers or a motorcycle that hasn't run in 3 years. Or camping equipment we haven't used since 1995.
Are you sure....? lol. I can relate from the other side. Hang in there.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
I inadvertantly put out a can of expired food in the last Post Office food drive and they said they could not take it. That was here in Florida. i know Publix quit being able to donate food to local charities. At one point in time, they were using it at their hog farm and I don't know what happened with that. It may still be going. But, they definitely had to quite the bread thing, as well. They would go to a parking lot and people would come and get it, all they wanted and they(Publix) don't do that anymore. I have been to the bread shops, though most of those have closed up. I think it is a Pepperidge farm store.

So much food is wasted. Seattle is going to start fining people if they waste too much food. OH yeah. lol

Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,530,548 times
This thread reminded me of a documentary where a couple of volunteers had to carry all the waste they created around with them for a week in a plastic garbage bag. Everywhere they went.

Cans, wrappers, milk cartons, apple cores, used TP...everything. Can you imagine! It made them really, really careful about how they used resources and what they ate. Even trying very, very hard, they had full, heavy bags by the end of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or