U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:56 AM

28,906 posts, read 46,593,274 times

Advertisements

Don't give a number that you don't want them to call.

We still cling to our home phone. The only people who call it are telemarketers and the very occasional person we know who doesn't have our mobile numbers and has to look us up in the book. So I check the messages every week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM

16,722 posts, read 14,611,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
They asked for both numbers. It is their fault. If they only ever intended to call me on one number that's all they should have asked for.

They called me twice, so yes clearly if you use logic they do have time to call me on a second number.
It was your fault for putting your home number on there when you clearly don't want them to call your home. Take some personal responsibility here. And yes, you are overreacting.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:04 AM

53 posts, read 48,002 times
It's always best to put down the number you WANT them to use. You have no idea what their policy is, what kind of database your info goes into and how it appears to them, etc. And, people are different. For me, don't call me on my cell unless I'm EXPECTING the call, because you won't get me. If I'm driving or otherwise occupied, you can't get me. If I'm at work, I may not answer my cell. I can't tell you how many times I've told people not to call my cell, but they keep doing it. (And they may not have called your cell with the assumption that during the day you are at work and maybe shouldn't be getting personal cellphone calls.) My friend is the complete opposite. If anyone calls her home phone, she goes ballistic. She wants EVERYTHING other than friends/family to call her cell. If it's not a personal call, it's to be her home number. My position is that if I'm not at home or at work (both of which have dedicated numbers), I'm probably not available. It's a viable back-up, but that's about it.

Not that long ago, it was generally understood that cell numbers were only to be used if the primary number given wasn't working for you - unless otherwise instructed. That's changed dramatically for most people now, but business procedures may still be the same.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,556,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post

Anyway, I just think it's lousy customer service to not even make the effort to use other contact methods if there is some urgency in contacting someone. And I guess this means that my original call was never returned.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.
Eh. Happens to me all the time. I also prefer being called on my cell, but that's just me.

Maybe some people get mad getting multiple messages asking for the same info.

Maybe some people can't take calls on their cell phones during the day (at work).

Maybe Customer Service is afraid they'll get sued if they call on your cell, you answer it, and you crash your car.

Like someone already suggested, if you don't want them to call on your home line, don't give it to them. I'm sure you can fill out a change-of-address/contact form and fix it.

P.S. You registered by fax? Who does that anymore???

Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,706,868 times
I'd be happy that they called me! Forget about complaining which number they called. Be HAPPY they actually called! Heck, they even left 2!!! messages!!! What else can you ask for? YOU omitted something and you gave them the number they called. Why should they call every single number you gave them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships