U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 PM

6,644 posts, read 2,417,597 times

Advertisements

He will get charged a fee from his bank, too, then he will realized that the check for the baby gift bounced. He will be mortified and call you to apologize and replace that $20.00 that bounced. I don't think you should say a thing. The thing I wonder about is why doesn't he even have $20.00 in his checking account? You always have to have a safety level or overdraft protection. Balancing mistakes happen, too but you won't be hit with horrible check return fees if you have a safety level or the overdraft protection. Just think about credit card bills and being late just one time - I think those are $35.00 or more these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:02 PM

8,076 posts, read 13,388,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
He will get charged a fee from his bank, too, then he will realized that the check for the baby gift bounced. He will be mortified and call you to apologize and replace that $20.00 that bounced. I don't think you should say a thing.
I am betting this is exactly what will happen, hence the advice to let him straighten it out..

Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 PM

12,080 posts, read 10,173,177 times
I'll keep you posted. I noticed the funds reversal on Friday. Got the email and extra charge today.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 AM

16,724 posts, read 14,558,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Would you act like this "friend," and not say anything after you got a notice from your bank that your check bounced? Really? And you'd expect your friend, who you know had to pay some type of fee at their bank, too, to never mention it. And your friendship goes along all hunky dory, with nobody acknowledging the fact that you bounced a check that was a gift for your friend's baby, which bounced and cost them bounce fees?

Really?

If I got a notice that my check bounced, I'd be all over it. Major apologies, refunding the fees, making it right. Immediately.

Not doing so is really weird. And not my idea of a friendship at all. 30 years of it or not.

And really? You've been friends with someone for 30 years, and you can't call them up and say, Holy Sh*t, Batman, my check bounced, I'm so sorry! Let me pay your fees!

Really?

I'm guessing you've not had a friend for this long, or empathy for someone having hard times, like, ever.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm guessing you've not had a friend for this long, or empathy for someone having hard times, like, ever.
I guess I just keep thinking if I was on hard times I wouldn't be sending $20 to a friend across the country. Someone in this thread said that the $20 check is a nice gesture whether it bounces or not but if I'm struggling, I'll send a card only or an email or a text. It's a nice gesture but poorly executed.

I just wish none of this had happened. I'd actually prefer just a card or email or text.

And yes, this friend has always had money issues for as long as I can remember which is why I text him before I deposited the check to let him know I was depositing it.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I guess I just keep thinking if I was on hard times I wouldn't be sending $20 to a friend across the country. Someone in this thread said that the $20 check is a nice gesture whether it bounces or not but if I'm struggling, I'll send a card only or an email or a text. It's a nice gesture but poorly executed.

I just wish none of this had happened. I'd actually prefer just a card or email or text.

And yes, this friend has always had money issues for as long as I can remember which is why I text him before I deposited the check to let him know I was depositing it.
I completely agree with you. That's why I wouldn't say anything if he's on hard times temporarily, but if he's just plain flaky, I would just ask him for the $12 it cost you and chalk it up to experience.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:10 AM

17,632 posts, read 11,016,275 times
I would eat it and say nothing. If this was a debt someone was repaying, that would be different, but this was something the guy did as a nice gesture and he evidently just miscalculated his funds. You will feel better and be the bigger person.

He will find out from his bank, so just let him come to you, and if he doesn't , consider it a non issue.

Don

Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM

My friend just sent me a text...to talk about football.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:56 AM

26,285 posts, read 24,347,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm seeing alot of sweeping under the carpet here.

For Pete's sake, just tell the guy...it's no big deal!
It happens.

Why on earth hedge around and see what ''if'...man up and be lighthearted about it.

It'll be a breath of fresh air for you both.
totally agree, be honest, and tell him

Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My friend just sent me a text...to talk about football.
He should certainly know by now that he had a bounced check. They get notified long before your bank hears about it and notifies you.

Maybe it's time to bounce this friendship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships