U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:50 PM

5,433 posts, read 3,487,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige3 View Post
My sister and this girl are both 19. I am just shocked, and really just not comfortable with it. Turns out my sisters bestfriend is actually her girlfriend. But they are both girly though? Are girly lesbians common? I thought most lesbians were butch/manly? Anyways, Im disappointed in her and I think this a just a bad phase shes going through. How do I explain this to her?
Not all of them are like that.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:56 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Bunch of real winners you have there. Ignorance is a choice, remember.
Really! Of course his sister could really throw a bigger wrench into the situation and bring home a black girlfriend.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:06 PM

5,863 posts, read 6,285,149 times
Quote:
The reason I am disappointed is because I know it will cause family drama. I am disappointed in her because she didnt feel comfortable enough to tell me, at least. My family is close minded and dont support gay marriage. I am the only family member who knows, but our mom has made it clear she thinks being gay is a sin, and she told us if she ever had a gay child or a daughter that has a black boyfriend she will disown us. My dad always makes fun of gay people. I will support her, but I am just so sad she has to keep her secret from the rest of our family.
Are you for real?

How did this site become a magnet for such outrageous crap.

Your problem is your ignorant parents, not your sister.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:12 PM

15,088 posts, read 17,510,694 times
Quote:
My sister and this girl are both 19. I am just shocked, and really just not comfortable with it. Turns out my sisters bestfriend is actually her girlfriend. But they are both girly though? Are girly lesbians common? I thought most lesbians were butch/manly? Anyways, Im disappointed in her and I think this a just a bad phase shes going through. How do I explain this to her?
Explain to her that you're shocked and not comfortable with it and disappointed and that she's in a bad phase and that neither woman's characteristics match your expectations of lesbians? Just 'explain' your problems just like you stated it here.

[no guarantee that doing so will solve your problems, though]

Old 09-27-2014, 06:26 PM

8 posts, read 9,789 times
No rude comments, I am trying to help her and give her some support.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:27 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,984,374 times
Quote:
It is not your business and doesn't matter if you are comfortable with it. Please try to be happy she has found someone she likes to spend time with. You shouldn't explain your feelings to her. To be blunt, they don't matter.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:36 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,641,424 times
Quote:
No rude comments, I am trying to help her and give her some support.
Good for you. I'm sorry if I was snarky earlier. If I were you, I'd tell her that you love her, and ask her to tell you whatever you need to know to help her come out to your parents. Ask her what support she needs from you right now. Even if she doesn't have a clear idea of what she needs, it will get the conversation started, and the ideas will come as the two of you talk.

Good luck to both of you. I hope your parents surprise you both!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,028,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Considering how little you obviously know about the subject, who are you to explain anything to her? You should be asking questions, not explaining.

Funny how the OP ignored this.

I cannot believe the OP has the hubris to think that her opinion means anything. It doesn't. This is your sister's life - not yours, and not your parents.

As Albert said above, ask questions - you seem very ignorant about the subject.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,984,374 times
Quote:
This...

Quote:
The reason I am disappointed is because I know it will cause family drama. I am disappointed in her because she didnt feel comfortable enough to tell me, at least. My family is close minded and dont support gay marriage. I am the only family member who knows, but our mom has made it clear she thinks being gay is a sin, and she told us if she ever had a gay child or a daughter that has a black boyfriend she will disown us. My dad always makes fun of gay people. I will support her, but I am just so sad she has to keep her secret from the rest of our family.
is not the same as this.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 PM

43,421 posts, read 52,413,699 times
Quote:
Your parents sound like terrible people and not worth caring about.

They are truly the definition of evil...espousing morality while living as hypocrites who violate the most basic tenets of their purported faith.

If I were you, I would be embarrassed to be associated with them.

Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or