Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times

Advertisements

I have encountered people at work and also in my family who say "*so and so* is too nice." I'm sure you've heard that before.

Every person who I've heard say that is an ass hole. I have heard one manager at my job complain that another manager is "too nice." What's kind of funny is this guy readily admits that he's a jerk.

I guess some people believe that you have to be mean and bully people around or else you will get taken advantage of. That's a load of BS. You can a kind and decent person without being a doormat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 04:10 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I have encountered people at work and also in my family who say "*so and so* is too nice." I'm sure you've heard that before.

Every person who I've heard say that is an ass hole. I have heard one manager at my job complain that another manager is "too nice." What's kind of funny is this guy readily admits that he's a jerk.

I guess some people believe that you have to be mean and bully people around or else you will get taken advantage of. That's a load of BS. You can a kind and decent person without being a doormat.
True, you can be kind without being a doormat. But it's also good to accept the fact that jerks do not respect kindness and only respond to power games. You learn who you can be kind with, and who you have to "play". A jerk will respect you more if you give them a taste of their own medicine.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
A jerk will respect you more if you give them a taste of their own medicine.
I have no respect for jerks, so I could care less if they respect me.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
It seems like you're not allowing for a middle ground. People who don't put up with nonsense = jerks, if I read you right.

People who put up with nonsense ARE too nice.

And people who don't put up with nonsense are people with good boundaries. And make better leaders and supervisors.

IMO.

Without a specific example of what you are talking about, that's my take.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:03 PM

336 posts, read 589,820 times
Quote:

I hate that too whenever people put things that way. Is this a test where they want you to be mean just to prove a point?

I usually don't see the point of getting all stressed and angry when you don't have to be that way with someone. You're just wasting your time and energy on someone who doesn't matter. If that makes people assume that I'm too nice, then I can't do anything about that. I'm not gonna do something stupid just to prove to some people that they're wrong.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Well I am somewhat of an a-hole. However that does not mean I cannot accurately determine whether someone is coming on too strong or is a pushover. My radar for both works like any other persons.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
kindness and manners make the boorish uneasy.
when your place is clean ---mine looks like a pigsty

Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
kindness and manners make the boorish uneasy.
when your place is clean ---mine looks like a pigsty
Too true! More often for me the "too nice" is followed by "I can't trust him! " Guess I hang around with some paranoid people!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:12 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
It all depends on the "nice" part.
I'm a nice guy, in that I can (and will) get into a civil conversation with someone - coworker, client, whomever. I will put in my .02 (when asked) and suggest solutions to problems. Not an issue there. But I've also put a couple noses out of joint, because some made the mistake of taking my kindness for weakness! I was written up a few years ago at work because I said a few choice words to a colleague who mistook me for a stooge. Larry, Moe, and Curly became rich and famous for being stooges; I'm no one's fall guy!

Old 09-21-2014, 10:42 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
I have no respect for jerks, so I could care less if they respect me.
Right, but you still have to deal with them, especially at work, and it's better to learn how to handle them effectively than to opt out of the game. People like that will steamroll whoever they can. I've done some pretty ballsy things in the past to make sure my voice is heard with people like that. I agree with you, they're idiots, but oftentimes those idiots worm their way into positions of power where you can't avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships