U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 PM

18,589 posts, read 23,140,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
Perhaps poverty is depressing. Money can't buy love, but it can buy a week long vacation or a dinner at a nice restaurant.

Have a little compassion.

In general, the idea of happy poor people is a myth. Poor people have less agency, which can alter ones sense of well being.

There are some angry disgusting rich folks out there - think Donald Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,471,027 times
Quote:
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
Actually, the poorest people I know have the most compassion and tend to be the most generous. They may not have much, but they'll share what they have.

Maybe you could learn some compassion, too. This is the second thread of yours where it seems you are a bit lacking in that department.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:14 PM

235 posts, read 238,817 times
Quote:
Actually, no. I grew up in one of the wealthiest suburbs in my state, and if you want to talk sh*tty attitudes, go find some rich people.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:27 AM

6,322 posts, read 4,738,482 times
My family is poor and have horrible attitudes. But Im pretty sure this is because they perseverate on "being poor. " I've met many other people raised in poverty and the ones whose family made no big thing about it, have the best attitudes and did not repeat the pattern.

Yes, a lot of people in poverty have bad attitudes. So do a lot of middle and upper class. Especially those who never stop beaching about Obamacare and so called "welfare queens. " The difference is that the first group has legitimate problems. The second group seems to have almost too much time on their hands and many use it judging other people's business.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:56 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,255,937 times
There are poor attitudes among people of all income levels. The difference is the REASON they have a poor attitude. Its easy to see why the poor are upset with society. However those of us in the 99% have a hard time understanding why being rich isn't a picnic everyday. Rest assured: "Mo' money, mo' problems."

Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM

8,936 posts, read 6,470,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Actually, the poorest people I know have the most compassion and tend to be the most generous. They may not have much, but they'll share what they have.

Maybe you could learn some compassion, too. This is the second thread of yours where it seems you are a bit lacking in that department.
You and most others who posted on this thread have it correct.

The OP is wrong.

I lost a former friend due to sudden wealth. It turned him into a person I no longer knew.

Disclaimer - This post is not saying all rich people have bad attitudes and lack compasssion.
Some of the poorer citizens do have a bad attitude.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:53 AM

6,220 posts, read 5,333,366 times
Absolutely. From working multiple minimum wage jobs with no benefits 7 days a week, day and night. To driving a piece of crap car that breaks down all the time for your long commute because you can't afford to live anywhere but a crappy small town/rural area.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,064,758 times
Being poor or being rich got nothing to do with attitude or the negativity.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 AM

555 posts, read 610,189 times
is this a real question?

Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM

5,414 posts, read 4,044,205 times
I don't know honestly..... I think it's more about the person's outlook moreso than their financial situation. I grew up extremely poor but we were happy with what we had. Now that my wife and I do pretty well (not rich by any means) we are even more appreciative of what we have and relieved that I don't have to struggle like we did growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or