U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:47 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,583,325 times

Advertisements

Yes I have noticed this. In school they aren't motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,420,920 times
I have taught in both rich and poor areas.

When poor kids are bad, it's usually because they come from broken homes, drunken parents, abuse, etc.

When rich kids are bad, it's usually because they're spoiled rotten brats who have gotten everything they've ever wanted, except decent parenting.

I knew that neither of these groups were happy, but the bad poor kids were too vulnerable to dislike... they also tended to respect you if you showed you understood and were a little tough with them. They were a little coarse, but they always had community and I have to admit, they were the underdogs and I've always had a soft spot for the underdog... doesn't everyone?

The bad rich kids on the other hand, embodied pretty much everything I hate about the human race. They were demanding, selfish, rude, and they had zero incentive to change their attitudes. It was even worse when they were also good enough to pass the tests and such. They were probably going to bully their way through life, getting everything they want while making everyone around them utterly miserable.

I seriously cannot think of anything worse than living a life where you are not required to improve yourself because everything will always be handed to you or easily earned, and you are rewarded for being cruel and selfish.

I would gladly work with the poor in a heartbeat, but never ever ever again work anywhere near the rich.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 PM

7,667 posts, read 8,958,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went back home this weekend where most of the people are poor and have noticed that many of the poorest people often have the most negative and sour attitudes around! Have you ever noticed this?
I've definitely noticed this.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:10 AM

8,516 posts, read 3,941,136 times
No. It really varies on the individual. What matters if you have a sense of grace about you. No correlation to socioeconomic status.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 PM

8,512 posts, read 5,327,480 times
Some of the nastiest attitude I have ever seen was from those with money, and people in high positions. I have seen many rich kids with really bad attitudes and no respect. Yeah, some poor people can have bad attitude, I have met a few of them also.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:32 PM

7,667 posts, read 8,958,791 times
I have seen bad attitudes as described here from the rich as well. That's why I prefer good, hard working, middle class people.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:13 PM

23,354 posts, read 17,373,400 times
Anyone can have a bad attitude. But don't the often sour attitudes of the poor keep them from rising above their situation? As someone from Appalachia, I know abject poverty, and this mindset keeps people in poverty.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM

8,512 posts, read 5,327,480 times
I've seen some pretty happy poor people in my day and I was one of them growing up as a child in the deep south. We were happy children and thought we were living the life until we got grown, then we realized our situation. Our parents were happy loving people as well and so was everybody in our neighborhood. Perhaps it is a local or a regional attitude of the people there. But, I do understand your point of view and I would say that's not always the case everywhere. Most of us from that old neighborhood went on to do pretty good in life and far better off than our parents were at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or